News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Beat up 350 not mine...

Started by Bigfoot, April 29, 2018, 08:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldMil

Would everybody be more content knowing that the car was parted out and scrapped as an alternative?  My guess is that this crowd would rather see this car on the street again someday.  Doesn't matter if it's a full rebody, or a Dynacorn hybrid, Or repaired from an OEM donor, as long as it is presented down the road as such, it's fine with me.  I don't see enough of these cars out and about, so crusher is not an option in my opinion.

Coralsnake

I think its safe to assume, some of those nsysayers have an agenda

J_Speegle

Quote from: OldMil on May 08, 2018, 04:31:14 PM
Would everybody be more content knowing that the car was parted out and scrapped as an alternative?  .......

Can't and would not speak for others but I for one would rather part out (using the original parts for other surviving cars) then scrapping. And no I would rather not see them around where they can and do get resold to others without full disclosure.

And yes that is what I've chosen to do with a few that I felt were more problem than they were worth or too far gone. Normally I don't end up getting cars in such conditions to make those choices in the first place. Just me :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Greg

Quote from: J_Speegle on May 08, 2018, 08:34:04 PM
Quote from: OldMil on May 08, 2018, 04:31:14 PM
Would everybody be more content knowing that the car was parted out and scrapped as an alternative?  .......

Can't and would not speak for others but I for one would rather part out (using the original parts for other surviving cars) then scrapping. And no I would rather not see them around where they can and do get resold to others without full disclosure.

And yes that is what I've chosen to do with a few that I felt were more problem than they were worth or too far gone. Normally I don't end up getting cars in such conditions to make those choices in the first place. Just me :)

+1

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

capecodmustang.com

So if you'd walk behind someone's barn and there's a 65 Shelby parked near a 289 Cobra you'd part it out if they were in poor condition....?

I don't think so

My 02.

Greg

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on May 09, 2018, 01:54:56 PM
So if you'd walk behind someone's barn and there's a 65 Shelby parked near a 289 Cobra you'd part it out if they were in poor condition....?

I don't think so

My 02.

Okay, I'll bite  :)...  If you had a never restored 289 cobra and a 65 Shelby with impeccable history for sale and then right beside them there was a 289 Cobra and 65 Shelby with no history priced the same, which would you buy?  I think I know  ;) and not a single person on here would do otherwise. 

The point IMO is, be careful, as this car and any basket case could wind up being re-bodied and we need to watch out for this and help each other or anyone wanting to purchase one of these amazing cars .  Fakes are produced all the time and I bet there are more than a few cobra's and shelby's (just like any other high end car) that are only Vin's of their original self.  I for one don't want to lay down my hard earned cash only to realize the car I purchased wasn't what I thought it was. 

Then you say, thats why you pay an expert, to look at it before you buy.  Okay what if the expert is wrong, trust me they can be and they walk away saying, man that was a great fake.

papa scoops

re body is to much work. why not just steal one and change the tags, quick flip, not your name on anything, the buy a legit car with the cash? JUST JOKING! the hulk is a pile. rebody, driver. phred

Greg

Quote from: papa scoops on May 09, 2018, 03:48:57 PM
re body is to much work. why not just steal one and change the tags, quick flip, not your name on anything, the buy a legit car with the cash? JUST JOKING! the hulk is a pile. rebody, driver. phred

Sounds like a great plan except for the prison time :o

J_Speegle

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on May 09, 2018, 01:54:56 PM

I don't think so

Was faced with about half that scenario recently (not going into any details on purpose) and my suggestion was a bit more creative than that but the car wasn't even a candidate for a decent parts car. And yes the proper registrar was notified of the situation

Now everyone don't contact me since I won't talk about the car, owner, location......... :)

As with all of these cars. No two cars are in the exact same condition or situation so we can only deal with possibilities at this point.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

silverton_ford

Didn't sell.  It is back online.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Shelby-Cobra-GT350/292570600155?hash=item441e9112db:g:sd0AAOSwrU1bAHvp

Add description:

****DUE TO MALICIOUS BIDDING ON THE PREVIOUS AUCTION, WE ARE OFFERING THE 1969 SHELBY AS A BUY IT NOW TO THE CONTINENTAL U.S. ONLY!!-A NON REFUNDABLE $500 DEPOSIT  WILL BE REQUIRED THROUGH PAYPAL AND PICK UP/FULL PAYMENT WITHIN 7 DAYS OF PURCHASE-SELLING AS-IS!****
1969 SHELBY GT 350 FASTBACK IN SILVER JADE OVER BLACK CLARION KNIT/VINYL HI BACK BUCKET SEAT INTERIOR. DOCUMENTED IN THE SHELBY REGISTRY 1 OF 12 GT 350'S IN THIS PAINT/TRIM/ENGINE/TRANSMISSION COMBINATION.

CAR WAS ORDERED WITH THE OPTIONS INCLUDING:
- 4-SPEED CLOSE RATIO MANUAL TRANSMISSION
- 3:25 TRACTION LOCK REAR AXLE
- POWER FRONT DISC BRAKES
- SPORT DECK REAR SEAT
- POWER STEERING
- AM RADIO
-DELUXE SEAT BELTS/WARNING LIGHT
-TACHOMETER AND TRIP ODOMETER
ON FEBRUARY 20, 1969 THIS SHELBY WAS BUILT AT DEARBORN ASSEMBLY  AND SENT TO A.O. SMITH IN IONIA, MICHIGAN FOR FINAL ASSEMBLY.  FROM THERE IT WAS SHIPPED TO SOUTH WEST FORD SALES, INC. IN PARMA HEIGHTS, OHIO.

DOCUMENTS SHOW THERE WERE TWO PREVIOUS OWNERS FROM THE CLEVELAND AREA UNTIL BEING PURCHASED BY THE THIRD OWNER FROM A SMALL RURAL COMMUNITY IN NORTH CENTRAL OHIO ON SEPTEMBER 17, 1973.

SHORTLY AFTER TAKING OWNERSHIP, LESS THAN A MILE FROM HOME, THE SHELBY WAS INVOLVED IN A FRONT END COLLISION. BEING TOWED BACK TO THE FAMILY FARM, THE CAR WAS PUT TO REST IN A FIELD BESIDE THE BARN FOR A 45 YEAR SLUMBER.

TODAY THE CAR IS BEING OFFERED FOR SALE FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1973 AND COMES WITH THE ORIGINAL NUMBERS MATCHING 351W 4V ENGINE INCLUDING BLOCK, HEADS, EXHAUST AND SHELBY ALUMINUM INTAKE MANIFOLD, COBRA VALVE COVERS, AIR CLEANER, NUMBERS MATCHING DATE CODED 7.35 X 14 SPACE SAVER SPARE AND MATCHING JACK.

NO TRANSMISSION, CARB OR DISTRIBUTOR.

ENGINE WAS REMOVED FROM CAR DECADES AGO AND STORED INSIDE. ENGINE TURNS OVER AND REMAINS INTACT! CAR HAS EXTENSIVE RUST AND FRONT END DAMAGE BUT IS AN ORIGINAL 68,076 MILE WELL DOCUMENTED SHELBY WITH A CLEAN TITLE IN HAND! SALE INCLUDES CAR, ENGINE AND PICTURED PARTS.
PICK UP ONLY! BUYER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR PICK-UP AND SHIPPING!! CASH OR BANK CASHIERS CHECK ONLY!!! 
BE SURE TO REVIEW THE PHOTOS CAREFULLY AS THEY ARE PART OF THE DESCRIPTION.

Greg

Shill bidding..... He is probably going to keep this one for a while.

Bigblock

Quote from: silverton_ford on May 23, 2018, 12:59:03 AM
FROM THERE IT WAS SHIPPED TO SOUTH WEST FORD SALES, INC. IN PARMA HEIGHTS, OHIO.

Small world! I've spent lots of money at Southwest over the years. One of my Ford clubs started there in 1969 and is still called the Southwest Mustang & Ford Performance club.

See what just 4 years of Cleveland salt will do to a car! ;D

tesgt350

Quote from: Greg on May 23, 2018, 07:21:18 AM
Shill bidding..... He is probably going to keep this one for a while.

It's "Buy It Now" at $22,995

Coralsnake

Personally, I dont understand the anomosity. I see it on both ends of the spectrum...the high end cars get the same treatment.

To accuse someone of shill bidding is irresponsible, unless you have some history with them.

I stopped commenting on prices, even though its very tempting. If its too high the seller will figure it out. If someone is willing to pay the stupid price, then so be it...

pbf777

"REBODY"!

I do not agree with this term as being an accurate description of the supposed process in a restoration of this type of vehicle, but rather only attempting to add validity to the end result.  ::)

If one has, lets say a Rolls Royce Phantom III, and it had been "re-bodied" (as opposed to being bodied) by say Sedanca or Murphy, post its' original production, although this may or may not change the value with in the eyes of the market, at least the description is accurate, as it has been "re-bodied". A different body has been fastened to the frame and drive train from what it was originally outfitted but generally the rest of the car is as produced by R.R. with original identification numbers intact. And this was not an uncommon occurrence.

In the more modern unit-construction Mustang - Shelby, what constitutes the proper application the the term "REBODY"? Taking a Mustang model vehicle, removing its' drive train, suspension, trim and perhaps even interior components installing substitutes from a found derelict vehicle of enhanced value, and finally swapping V.I.N. plates, tags and even re-stamping numbers, at this point a probable crime?   :o                               

I'm O.K. with one taking the "good stuff" off the derelict for the purpose of restoration of a legitimate vehicle, perhaps even enhancing with non-original options, or for the purpose of building a "clone" and announced as such; but please, stop identifying these illegitimate "FAKES" as only a "rebody" as one is providing validity to the practice. AND THIS IS BULL $#1T!   >:(

And that's my rant.............

Scott.