Author Topic: Beat up 350 not mine...  (Read 17799 times)

gt350cs

• View Profile
Re: Beat up 350 not mine...
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2018, 02:16:38 PM »
WOW Stephen .... what a way to do business. Sorry to see that you were taken advantage of in this matter.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 06:04:59 PM »
FOMOCO1 - Leonard (owner) and his brother called me two months ago and asked me the value of the car along with the 428PI motor and an Indian motorcycle - He told me I would have first shot at it but he needed a value first - I told him I charge for my professional consultation services and he said I will end up with the car and motors so waive my fee - I fell for it - I looked at pixs and told him value anywhere between 5k and 15k for car & engines and I valued the motorcycle seperatly and he said great and he would get back to me - He showed me pixs of a charred 68 Shelby center console as well - He (unexpectedly) texted me the night before you came over & a day before i was to send truck to pick up car and motors and said he sold you car and engines for 10k - I was shocked - I asked him what happened with his first right of refusal offer and he just shrugged it off - I should send him a bill for my services -  SGB

That’s an unfortunate situation but why would you tell the world what this guy paid for his pot of Gold?
That doesn’t seem fair to him.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

FOMOCO1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 09:20:17 PM »
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE RED HULK? IN APRIL OF 1989 I WAS GETTING ESTIMATES FROM SEVERAL LOCAL RESTORATION SHOPS TO RESTORE THE BLACK 68, WHILE A DISTANT MUSTANG ONLY RESTORATION SHOP CAME TO GIVE US AN ESTIMATE THEY SAW THE RED CAR AND INQUIRED ABOUT IT. WE AGREED ON A PRICE, LOADED ON A ROLLBACK AND OFF IT WENT. THEN IN SUMMER OF 2011 WAS BROWSING 68 SHELBYS ON EBAY AND A RED 68 FASTBACK RESTOMOD WAS LISTED WITH A MARTI REPORT. REMEMBERING THE CAR SOLD NEW AT MARSHALL FORD IN MAYFIELD HEIGHTS, OHIO I CHECKED THE SHELBY VIN AND MY RECORDS AND IT TURNED OUT IT WAS #00801. THE LAST I WAS TOLD IT SOLD BUT DID NOT HAVE RECORD OF WHERE IT WENT.

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 10:09:21 PM »
Ok, I'll do it..... ahem.... "That will buff right out!"

stangman39

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 08:20:23 AM »
SGB, sorry that happened to you.
I'm sure many of us have been treated that way before.  Sad to say a verbal agreement doesn't mean
much to some these days. Similar thing happened to me just this past weekend. 

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 03:50:52 PM »
Ive purchased some rough cars in my time but none this bad.  Is there anyone on here that would pay $20K and put this car back together?  This is easliy 1500-2000 hours worth or work. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

azdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 05:04:22 PM »
I thought 20k was nuts.... almost 29 now...😞

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 10:25:41 PM »
I thought 20k was nuts.... almost 29 now...😞

This has got the smell of "rebody" all over it.  I hope the 70 registry folks copy the photos for its file so the next owner knows the history. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

billmunny

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2018, 11:28:11 AM »
looks like the car sold for nearly $29K  :o

Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2018, 03:50:13 PM »
I had to chuckle at the "shill" comment in a previous post-hard to say for sure but given the condition and early bid history it's a real possibility and more to the point a real problem w/ EBay.  Maybe an out of country sale-if again, a sale at all.  Hard to say what the best and most practical/economic plan would be.  A re-body wreaks of potential/future fraud and thus the # should be noted/tracked by the Registry.  I would save every possible scrap, collect the missing limbs and make it a driver.  At the very least, you would have saved what's left of the original car-blemishes and all.  That aside, 29k is nuts.         

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2018, 05:19:09 PM »
Actually...
I think the car was fairly priced...

Where else are you going to find a original Shelby with it's original engine for under 30K in any condition?
I see numerous 69 GT 350's priced close to 100K ...(Priced)

It's not a bad starting point for someone with a limited budget and can do some of the work himself...

Just my .02

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2018, 06:37:27 PM »
I think to many people fall into the trap that value - restoration costs equals current market value.

Shelbys do not follow that rule.

Seldomly do you see cars under $50,000, when you do they usually have some major issues, like being burnt or the numbers stripped off them.

So, now we need to refocus the thread to how much can be replaced before its not the original car? That should get things going.....

prototypefan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2018, 08:10:05 PM »
I think to many people fall into the trap that value - restoration costs equals current market value.

Shelbys do not follow that rule.

Seldomly do you see cars under $50,000, when you do they usually have some major issues, like being burnt or the numbers stripped off them.

So, now we need to refocus the thread to how much can be replaced before its not the original car? That should get things going.....

I'll take the bait  :)

I live in an area where rust is common. Many times I see cars that have been restored and the owner thinks they have an original car but when you ask the owner has replaced
floors
rockers
torque boxes
trunk floor drop offs
tail light panel
outer wheel houses
quarter panels
doors
fenders
passenger engine bay apron (battery rust)
four common rust holes on aprons beside shock towers

I think to myself.......there is no way that car has proper structural integrity. There is so much engineering that goes into the manufacturing process with crumple zones in the metal....the amount of spot welds that would hold areas together, etc.
If you took all of the panels off the car that were replaced I don't know how a car can't be called a rebody. The content of replaced panels exceeds what is original.
One thing is for sure......I wouldn't want to be involved in an accident in one of these cars.

But when a car is a Shelby guys simply don't want to let go of the car. They will buy something affordable and attempt to ressurect the car on a budget. It could also be argued that it would be cheaper to restore a Shelby than a four door Maverick. You can buy a multitude of reproduction parts for a Shelby, Maverick parts are hard to find, new or used.

When does a car cease to exist?

azdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2018, 08:31:59 PM »
Seller hit the lotto for sure...... Living in the Southwest, I have a hard time accepting that anyone would want a car that rusty. It is always much worse than it looks in pictures. Unless it is some super rare model I don't see the point. Just my opinion, most people don't seem to care too much for it anyway......

stephen_becker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2018, 12:03:22 AM »

This has got the smell of "rebody" all over it.  I hope the 70 registry folks copy the photos for its file so the next owner knows the history.
[/quote]

Liska had pixs and info before current seller even bought the car - It is well documents with lots of pixs & info - Car was on jack-stands for a few decades and then taken off jackstands and laid to waist on the ground for a few decades