News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Power steering return hose tear

Started by Milo, November 06, 2021, 11:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

Hey all -

Have been giving 685 some light use since getting back on the road (finally).

Totally sorted mechanically, with all the major systems having been overhauled. Anyway, yesterday pulling out of the garage, I noticed a (heavy) trail of AT. Once up, I noticed that the PS return hose tore at the bracket. Clearly has been getting pinched between the bracket and the metal protective wrap.

Is this common? Ordered a replacement from Dead Nuts, but am looking to avoid this from happening again... and again.

Solutions or advice?

Thanks!
1968 Shelby GT500 #685 Wimbledon White
1969 CJ Mach 1, R-code 4-speed Black Jade
1965 GT vert, A-code 4-speed Poppy Red
1974 Bronco 302, Auto, Sniper EFI, 4-disc, Ivy
1972 Bronco Coyote
1968 F-250 Camper Special 390

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Milo on November 06, 2021, 11:21:58 PM
Hey all -

Have been giving 685 some light use since getting back on the road (finally).

Totally sorted mechanically, with all the major systems having been overhauled. Anyway, yesterday pulling out of the garage, I noticed a (heavy) trail of AT. Once up, I noticed that the PS return hose tore at the bracket. Clearly has been getting pinched between the bracket and the metal protective wrap.

Is this common? Ordered a replacement from Dead Nuts, but am looking to avoid this from happening again... and again.

Solutions or advice?

Thanks!
I am not sure if that is a original hose you showed a picture of on your car or not because I can't see it all . The problem you have is not typical if the hose is run properly. On the original the metal end seats in the rubber block . The other end of the metal end of the hose sticks out of the block and has a nipple on it . The rubber hose to cooler is attached to the nipple. The metal hose end seated in the rubber block keeps the rubber hose portion of the line from getting crimped. The rubber portion of the line does not go through the rubber block.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Milo

I installed it incorrectly. Thank you for the knowledge!
1968 Shelby GT500 #685 Wimbledon White
1969 CJ Mach 1, R-code 4-speed Black Jade
1965 GT vert, A-code 4-speed Poppy Red
1974 Bronco 302, Auto, Sniper EFI, 4-disc, Ivy
1972 Bronco Coyote
1968 F-250 Camper Special 390

Bob Gaines

You have probably already figured this out but when you index the return line properly in the rubber block be sure to index the metal end of the pressure line in the rubber block also so that it doesn't get pinched ether.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock