News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Early 260 with full width racing windscreen in Dearborn. Did Ford test it early

Started by HistoryBuff, November 07, 2021, 11:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HistoryBuff

I don't have a picture of it but in the b & w picture I saw it was a medium color car with a full width plexiglass racing windscreen about 6" tall, no metal frame on top , can't remember if it had metal support on the sides. It's a front 3/4 view I saw so can't remember if I saw side vents. Now my question is--from sources read long ago and forgotten, one story said Ford received an early car and one engineer spent 3 days trying to set up suspension. A second story i heard more recently is Ford bought three 260 Cobras and Ford engineers spent several days recommending off the shelf parts to correct problems they saw in the car. The only trouble with that second story is the second,  third and fourth Cobras went to Shelby's first dealer, Ed Hugus,  so is he the one that sold or loaned them to Ford? The reason I think the car was at Ford's Dearborn test track is I recognize that curvy (think snake from top view) brick wall is one I climbed to shoot a spy picture.

SFM5S000

The only two different "short" wind screens that I know is the full width version on the Flip Top and the individual versions found on the FIA and USRRC cars. (see pics)

Cheers,
~Earl J

CSX2259

One of the first Cobras to utilize a full width plexiglass windscreen was CSX2011, it had a "L" cross section of aluminum that the plexiglass mounted to with screws and then the "L" mounting base was secured to the body with screws there were no provisions for side reinforcements. I have the original from 2011 as it was replaced during a partial restoration.

honker

Here's a photo I have in my file of CSX 2011 (on the left #97) and CSX 2017 (#11) at green Valley, Texas in '67.

I think CSX2011 was at SAAC 12 in Charlotte in '87 ?

Mike

Richstang

I think the car in the Michigan location was discussed before.
It might have been mentioned as possibly CSX2002 or CSX2004
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

6s2055

Earl,
I remember when you took that picture of the Flip Top at Thunderhill! Remember taking Scott for a track ride in the car and the smile on his face!

SFM5S000

Quote from: 6s2055 on November 08, 2021, 02:24:06 PM
Earl,
I remember when you took that picture of the Flip Top at Thunderhill! Remember taking Scott for a track ride in the car and the smile on his face!

Terry,
Your memory is really sharp. That was a decade and them some ago. It's been a while. Hope you're enjoying retired life. Regards to Mrs K.
Cheers,
~Earl

6R07mi

Quote from: HistoryBuff on November 07, 2021, 11:06:11 PM
I don't have a picture of it but in the b & w picture I saw it was a medium color car with a full width plexiglass racing windscreen about 6" tall, no metal frame on top , can't remember if it had metal support on the sides. It's a front 3/4 view I saw so can't remember if I saw side vents. Now my question is--from sources read long ago and forgotten, one story said Ford received an early car and one engineer spent 3 days trying to set up suspension. A second story i heard more recently is Ford bought three 260 Cobras and Ford engineers spent several days recommending off the shelf parts to correct problems they saw in the car. The only trouble with that second story is the second,  third and fourth Cobras went to Shelby's first dealer, Ed Hugus,  so is he the one that sold or loaned them to Ford? The reason I think the car was at Ford's Dearborn test track is I recognize that curvy (think snake from top view) brick wall is one I climbed to shoot a spy picture.

rambling account, is there a question here?
first read the registry ??
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: SFM5S000 on November 08, 2021, 11:46:44 AM
The only two different "short" wind screens that I know is the full width version on the Flip Top and the individual versions found on the FIA and USRRC cars. (see pics)

Cheers,
~Earl J
I remember the "Pelican" (I never did find out why that was it's nickname at the time) from SAAC1 when one of the SAAC founders Royal Kreiger owned it. He lived nearby which is why Oakland was chosen as the convention site.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

Cheers,
~Earl J

I can't quite see the carbs in clear detail but aren't those a set of 58ida's?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM5S000

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 18, 2021, 12:03:37 PM

Cheers,
~Earl J

I can't quite see the carbs in clear detail but aren't those a set of 58ida's?

Doug, No. At the time I photographed CSX2196 (Flip top) the 58IDA's were not on the car. It had a 4 barrel Holley. USRRC car CSX2514 owned by Gordon Gimbal at the time were here at NorCal's Mini Nats which was held up at ThunderHill. I don't want to hijack this thread and bombard it with photos of both. I should just create a new post under 2000 series cobras.
I thought I did this piece before, but now that I think about it, I believe it was lost in SAAC Forum 1.0 crash.

Happy Holidays,
~Earl J

shelbydoug

I thought that I remembered the flip top as an original 58ida car and that posted pic wasn't so clear.

I think that when Shelby got the first MkII it came from the Brits with the 58's on it? Apparently the team felt that the single Holley was just as good and obviously easier to deal with.

The big Autolite Inlines are 2-1/4" throttles which are about the right size for the dual IR Boss 302 so I'm not sure where the issue was with them. 58's on 7 liters with IR should be about right?

Remington would have known. Just a mystery now? Thanks for posting.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

honker

Here are some pics I have in my files of the Flip Top in early tests, tight image of the engine, not the best resolution.

Any I.D. on the people in the images ?

Mike

(photos: could be Friedman images ?)

Is this the same car that ran at Nassau late '64 ?

Did it start out with a 390, and later had a 427 ?

Side-Oilers

The guy on the left (top two photos) is wearing dark dress pants, not typical SA white workpants.  So, maybe an RIR person?  Or a friend of the crewman he's standing next to?

In the bottom photo, what's that in front of the RF tire?  Something to keep the flip-open hood from hitting the ground?

Note also the custom taillight lenses on the Impala with its trunk open.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

In attempt to answer my own question, it's hard to tell from these pictures what Weber carbs those are.
I think I remember pictures of the 427's on pallets with the 58's on them waiting to be installed that were previously posted.
That might be a good way to get proportion of the carbs in the car to determine the probability of what they are?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!