Author Topic: Consensus on BFG TA's  (Read 4904 times)

Consensus on BFG TA's
« on: November 07, 2021, 11:33:18 PM »
What's the preferred size for the BFG TA radials for the 69/70's?  Based on searching the forum, looks like 235x60x15.  Way back, I thought I recall buddies who ran 275x50x15's, but looks like that size is NLA.  Thank you in advance for the help folks- 
Tom - DFW, Texas

Dan353

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Consensus on BFG TA's
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 04:28:09 AM »
I have 235 60 15 on my 69 GT 350.  I like the look of the BFG TA’s. The only problem I have with them is white letters keep turning brown.   

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 06:12:52 AM »
What's the preferred size for the BFG TA radials for the 69/70's?  Based on searching the forum, looks like 235x60x15.  Way back, I thought I recall buddies who ran 275x50x15's, but looks like that size is NLA.  Thank you in advance for the help folks-
I have Cooper Cobras on my 70 GT350 vert. 235-60-15. I like them because they say Cobra on them and they were a LOT cheaper than T/As which got a lot more expensive when they were bought out a few years ago. I ran Radial T/As on my old 68 running 255-60-15s on the rear and 215-65-15(Replacement size for E-70-15s on the 68s). I loved the stance of that on my 68 FB. My 69 SCJ Mach1 runs 235-60-15 T/A on it as the PO put them on. I will be replacing those tires and using a different size possibly mimicking the 68 sizes. .
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 10:58:04 AM »
   BFGs have gained a terrible reputation for losing tread and being "square". The Cooper Cobra is now "owned" by Goodyear along with the M/T line of tires and a far better tire in both safety and construction. BFG is owned by Michelin. I have had three full tread separations on BFGs and will never use one again.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 12:42:51 PM »
   BFGs have gained a terrible reputation for losing tread and being "square". The Cooper Cobra is now "owned" by Goodyear along with the M/T line of tires and a far better tire in both safety and construction. BFG is owned by Michelin. I have had three full tread separations on BFGs and will never use one again.

I personally haven't had issue with regular T/A's but my All Terrane's would loose 5" or 6" CHUNKS of treads.

It happened on 2 sets. I'm a little fuzzy on the size but maybe 235-75-15? Does that sound right?

When I inquired about waranty on the second set, the Rep told me it was my fault because I mounted them on a 7" rim. I said the application on YOUR chart shows 6 to 8". 7" is right in the middle.

He said, yes, that's a mis-application. I said why are you double talking me? He just walked away.

I've had problems with my P7 Pirelli's. The treads crack open like on the BFG's and the Fusion's on my SHO, 255-55-16 would be on the cords with 3,500 miles on them. That was with a 400 wear rating.

That tire, the p7, is a pretty expensive one and turns into a banana skin under 35° F. It's like there is ice on the road, and there isn't. They LIKE hot temps.

The best overall for me were the Goodyear GT+4's. The traction was excellent. They are very predictable, went through 24" of snow and lasted 25,000 miles a set.

All tires are going to have plus and minuses BUT today's "high performance street" tires are not intended to last more then about three years without drying out and cracking.

It has to do with the "rubber compound formula". The chemical that keeps the rubber from drying and cracking also reduces the traction properties of the rubber itself. So at this point in time, you can't have both.

The Avon's aren't going to last you long either, for both reasons. They are going to wear out rapidly because they are soft compound and they will dry out rapidly as well.  IF you get 5 years out of them that's a lot. And they ain't cheap.

They are really a track tire for the street.

A real high performance tire on the street in the US is a waste of money I think. They really are just intended for the Autobohn. You will not see the difference here. Here it's just for looks.

To me, the BFG' TA's are as good as any. On my '68 Shelby I've been using them since 1978 with no issues at all.

Buy yourself a power washer to clean up the white letters. You won't need any chemicals on them at all.

I was "advised" that for actual wear, the wear rating means little. It is the "aggressiveness" of the tread design that controls the wear rate.

The speed ratings are there to satisfy EU requirements for unlimited speed rules. For the US, they are just a status symbol.

You can also ask yourself why something like the BFG Comp TA's aren't around any more? As Randy says, some tires have inherent issues.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 01:02:36 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 11:58:16 AM »
I just put 4 cooper cobra 235 60 15s on my 69 gt350 and love them.  The cooper cobras have a higher speed rating than the BFGs. 

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 09:41:26 PM »
Hey everybody, thank you for all taking the time to comment and provide detailed insight. One thing on the white letters, I’ve had the same issue. The trick I use is a product called Westley‘s Bleach White. It works great to take the brown out.  Sounds like the general consensus given tire manufacturers and available sizes is now 235 x 60 x 15. That seems to closely mimic the original tire size. I appreciate everyone’s help and assistance with this.  More to come.
Tom - DFW, Texas

Doug B

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 09:58:33 PM »
I prefer a little wider style so I've got 255 x 60 x 15. Looks beefier but requires a spacer. I too use Westleys but the new stuff ain't as good as the old stuff. The letters now brown after awhile.
69 Shelby GT350 #0170 Fastback 4spd non-A/C
07 Shelby GT500 #4022

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 09:59:44 PM »
Hey everybody, thank you for all taking the time to comment and provide detailed insight. One thing on the white letters, I’ve had the same issue. The trick I use is a product called Westley‘s Bleach White. It works great to take the brown out.  Sounds like the general consensus given tire manufacturers and available sizes is now 235 x 60 x 15. That seems to closely mimic the original tire size. I appreciate everyone’s help and assistance with this.  More to come.
You may not be aware but Westley‘s Bleach White formula was changed when they were bought out.  When Westley‘s Bleach White by Blue Coral was bought out and repackaged as Westley‘s Bleach White by Black Magic they made the product lower price by apparently diluting the mixture. The old Westley‘s Bleach White is at least twice as strong as the Westley‘s Bleach White by Black Magic. If you can find the old stuff prior to the Black Magic name change you better get some to carry you over until you find a substitute. The Westley‘s Bleach White by Black Magic is just about worthless and a waste of time and money IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 11:03:56 PM »
I've owned T/As on more than 30 different muscle cars over the years, and always thought they were pretty good.  Not great, but pretty good.

And, these days, 15-inch performance radials tires are getting tough to find.

I recently replaced the T/As on my Kirkham with Cooper Cobras.  I was hesitant to do so, as I'd always had the impression that Coopers were low quality tires. But with T/As being made in Mexico...

The Coopers have noticeably more grip, and are so-far so-good, but I don't have many miles on them yet.   

The ride quality may also be slightly better than the T/As, but that's not any sort of a big deal with me.

I never drive my Kirkham in the wet, so I can't comment on that.  But, the tread pattern looks like it'd be better than T/As in the rain.   
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 11:36:18 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 12:18:15 AM »
Wow... Great feed-back folks-  Thank you.  Had no idea on Westley's either.  Thank you for the heads-up on that!
Tom - DFW, Texas

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 09:02:23 AM »
I have been running the BFG S since the 70s and still have them on most all of my rides. They are vintage correct, look and run pretty damn good on the streets. I have a couple of 500HP cars that run them with adequate traction for dry weather cruising, with no tread separation, weird handling problems or the like unless applying too much throttle. Any street tire is going to throw in the towel when given 500 HP. Now for me going in the way back machine the Cooper Cobras were what the poor kids were running... they had NO street cred, at least in the big bad city of Angels and that is an obstacle that I cant get over. They might be the best tires in the world today, but I and my group still laugh and reminisce about the real POS products we and others ran back in the day. Tires are a complicated part of the LOOK of our cars and has a different meaning to each of us.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 09:29:22 AM »
I have been running the BFG S since the 70s and still have them on most all of my rides. They are vintage correct, look and run pretty damn good on the streets. I have a couple of 500HP cars that run them with adequate traction for dry weather cruising, with no tread separation, weird handling problems or the like unless applying too much throttle. Any street tire is going to throw in the towel when given 500 HP. Now for me going in the way back machine the Cooper Cobras were what the poor kids were running... they had NO street cred, at least in the big bad city of Angels and that is an obstacle that I cant get over. They might be the best tires in the world today, but I and my group still laugh and reminisce about the real POS products we and others ran back in the day. Tires are a complicated part of the LOOK of our cars and has a different meaning to each of us.

Balancing the look and the go are what is at stake here.

Tires are resembling the custom sports shoe market a little where your favorite ball player wears a different brand for each game. You "gotta' have the look" right you know?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2021, 09:39:58 AM »
Touche' ShelbyDoug - Touche'...  The BFG Radial TA look/image has been 'cemented' in my mind on Shelby's since the mid 70's... Way different look tread-wise then vs. now.
Tom - DFW, Texas

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 09:49:11 AM »
Considering how little I really drive my cars IF the budget allowed I'd go for the Avons with the GOODYEAR applied.

IF is a tricky word.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!