News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Did the movie Ford v. Ferrari cret a new legion of fans?If so for what era?

Started by HistoryBuff, November 08, 2021, 11:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HistoryBuff

I think the movie made $200 million so far, so must have created hundreds of thousands of new fans. But do they go out to events looking to see original era Shelby Mustangs, Cobras and GT40s or does their interest extend to all the way to 2022 models? Or are the fan groups stratified, some only like the '62-'70 models. some only like the revived Shelby named models in the 2000s and some only the very latest? We're talking more than half a century time span so I don't know how far back the newest fans go in their interest in the marque.

trotrof1

I would imagine the film would attract all car enthusiasts. The ones who worship that era and also current. The younger crowd got a insight into the period that they didnt experience as it happened and bolstered their brand loyalty with current products. I personally love the 60s cars and really enjoy the Ford GT program to date. Hopefully 200 mil will entice the movie execs to make additional car films that all can appreciate.

Krelboyne

Most gear heads were aware of CS, his legacy, and his cars way before this movie was cast.

I would think that this movie may have created more Christian Bale fans than anything else.
Probably, for others, it gave a better appreciation for vintage auto racing.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

shelbydoug

Feature film always creates interest and as a result new fans and also new critics.

It is an interesting start, starting kind of in the middle of the story. I suppose it was an attempt in a way at hooking you in?

You cast people like Bale because of their natural ability and it's difficult to argue he isn't very talented.

It is going to be challenging though to capture the interests on NON GEAR HEADS in a way that shows the human part and not just the gears.

It isn't that easy. As Commander Scott once said, "you remind me of the man who demanded to be taught all the wisdom of the world while standing on one foot?"

We will see what the writers have in store for us. For sure they are going to come back with another one.

The "7,000" speech is pretty good. It ALMOST gets there.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CSX 4133

I would have to say I've seen a definite uptick across the entire age spectrum for all things Shelby. Attend a vintage race and you will see lot's of people seeking out Shelby GT350's, GT40's and Cobra's.
I love letting young kids sit in #74, their faces light up while their parents take pictures. It's my small part in continuing the Shelby legacy and hopefully growing a potential future owner.    8)

~Steven

deathsled

I would think the movie had an impact upon all ages and likely resulted in car sales both vintage and modern.  I have no stats to back it.  Just a hunch.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

The "new" fans of CS and the Ford GT program went home and loaded the Ford GT into their game consoles.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: deathsled on November 08, 2021, 06:57:03 PM
I would think the movie had an impact upon all ages and likely resulted in car sales both vintage and modern.  I have no stats to back it.  Just a hunch.
Not just a hunch, it's a fact!

My 21 year old daughter loves the movie and we love to watch it together.  It's a great movie!  It's well done and it has had an impact on the younger generation. 

My damn kid has already claimed the car after I kick off.  I'm not sure it I love her or if I should write her out of the will.  Ahhh, she's a good kid, I think I'll leave her the tires and rims.  ;D

QSS

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=5861

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=5860
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

rkm

But now, let's make "The Cobra Story" into a movie. With Mathew McConaughey as CS.

shelbydoug

Quote from: rkm on November 09, 2021, 06:40:42 AM
But now, let's make "The Cobra Story" into a movie. With Mathew McConaughey as CS.

I understand the sentiment towards McConaughey but when it comes down to it, Shelby as we knew him isn't that easy to cast. He was, as many successful people are, kind of unique.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

I would say yes, you have the true die-hard fans and the new "fast and furious " types

Overall it did raise the Shelby awareness

Quote from: HistoryBuff on November 08, 2021, 11:05:24 AM
I think the movie made $200 million so far, so must have created hundreds of thousands of new fans. But do they go out to events looking to see original era Shelby Mustangs, Cobras and GT40s or does their interest extend to all the way to 2022 models? Or are the fan groups stratified, some only like the '62-'70 models. some only like the revived Shelby named models in the 2000s and some only the very latest? We're talking more than half a century time span so I don't know how far back the newest fans go in their interest in the marque.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

HistoryBuff

I didn't understand why they didn't cast Mathew McConaughey  in the first place as
-he's tall
-he's from Texas
-he has played many a con man, which Shelby was at times when he was getting the Cobra off the ground
-he's been in rom-coms and Shelby had a magic appeal to women

The only thing I worry about  in casting MM is that he sometimes gets too involved in the role as there was one movie here he got thinner for the part and looked scary, not like Mathew McConaughey anymore.

shelbydoug

Quote from: HistoryBuff on November 09, 2021, 07:47:39 AM
I didn't understand why they didn't cast Mathew McConaughey  in the first place as
-he's tall
-he's from Texas
-he has played many a con man, which Shelby was at times when he was getting the Cobra off the ground
-he's been in rom-coms and Shelby had a magic appeal to women

The only thing I worry about  in casting MM is that he sometimes gets too involved in the role as there was one movie here he got thinner for the part and looked scary, not like Mathew McConaughey anymore.

All true but I can only answer for myself. I don't see Shelby in him at all.

Consider this. Perhaps he was offered the part and turned it down?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Wedgeman

HistoryBuff

For some reason the film Ford v. Ferrari was marketed in some countries under other titles, Here's the German version.