Author Topic: 6S1172 - on BAT  (Read 3835 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 6S1172 - on BAT
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 09:23:03 AM »
I've always liked the sapphire blue/white cars.  The sapphire/gold does present well however.  Think this guy's in a tough spot...  It's not all that original to command the big $$$ nor is it all that well restored to either...  Plus the mods he's done.  No doubt appealing, but not 'right' either..all personal preference.  Wish him all the best...
I know for a fact of at least 2 very strong sales on BaT recently where the buyers knew nothing about the cars. They wanted them. One was not going to lose the auction even thuogh it was recommended at 90K he wouldn't be hurt on the CJ Mach1 and won it at 147K. The other was a rare black SCJ 70 sportsroof. The buyer knew nothing about the car. Lives abroad and will have it restored before he comes back to the states regardless of the cost. So it doesn't matter how well in many cases how a car was restored or if it needs one. There are buyers out there flush with cash and do not care the end cost. Gary

It's the "nouveau riche" that cause the rise in prices but then again I go way back and it was the "knowing" that talked me out of a 427 Cobra because they would never be worth more then 25 or 30 thousand and it was a lousy car to begin with?

Then there was this red Mangusta that was freshly restored and was $25 thousand then. Try $400 thousand now.

So in reality, you need to "beware of false profits" and be cautious on listening to the "experts"?  ;)
Back when DeLoreans were new and I was just out of HS my uncle asked if he should buy a DeLorean and put it away as an investment. I told him to buy a 427 Cobra and put it away(think they were around 30K then?). He bought neither. Fast forward to the late 90s before he died and he said he should have listened to me. I would have bought one but I was always "behind" as they escalated and could never afford one. So I bought my Vert instead. I'm not saying hte cars mentioned above will not escalate but unlike your examples ,Doug, they are not rare to the point that if passed up you couldn't find another one similar at a better price today. Gary

You can find another Cobra but if you have to ask, then you can't afford it.

The point is it isn't the "knowing" that are "controlling" the market. It's the "newbies" that have got some money, AND as advised on Cobras, the higher they go, the better the investment they are. So?

This isn't a Cobra but much of the dynamics at play are similar.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 09:24:42 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2021, 09:38:12 AM »
I've always liked the sapphire blue/white cars.  The sapphire/gold does present well however.  Think this guy's in a tough spot...  It's not all that original to command the big $$$ nor is it all that well restored to either...  Plus the mods he's done.  No doubt appealing, but not 'right' either..all personal preference.  Wish him all the best...
I know for a fact of at least 2 very strong sales on BaT recently where the buyers knew nothing about the cars. They wanted them. One was not going to lose the auction even thuogh it was recommended at 90K he wouldn't be hurt on the CJ Mach1 and won it at 147K. The other was a rare black SCJ 70 sportsroof. The buyer knew nothing about the car. Lives abroad and will have it restored before he comes back to the states regardless of the cost. So it doesn't matter how well in many cases how a car was restored or if it needs one. There are buyers out there flush with cash and do not care the end cost. Gary

It's the "nouveau riche" that cause the rise in prices but then again I go way back and it was the "knowing" that talked me out of a 427 Cobra because they would never be worth more then 25 or 30 thousand and it was a lousy car to begin with?

Then there was this red Mangusta that was freshly restored and was $25 thousand then. Try $400 thousand now.

So in reality, you need to "beware of false profits" and be cautious on listening to the "experts"?  ;)
Back when DeLoreans were new and I was just out of HS my uncle asked if he should buy a DeLorean and put it away as an investment. I told him to buy a 427 Cobra and put it away(think they were around 30K then?). He bought neither. Fast forward to the late 90s before he died and he said he should have listened to me. I would have bought one but I was always "behind" as they escalated and could never afford one. So I bought my Vert instead. I'm not saying hte cars mentioned above will not escalate but unlike your examples ,Doug, they are not rare to the point that if passed up you couldn't find another one similar at a better price today. Gary

The point is it isn't the "knowing" that are "controlling" the market. It's the "newbies" that have got some money, AND as advised on Cobras, the higher they go, the better the investment they are. So?

like I said about the cars: they made 200 Cobras but 12K 69 428 CJ MUstangs. You are real likely to find another in a more realistic price than trying to find such a variance in one of the 200 Cobras pricewise. Guy paid 147K for a 69 R-code non SCJ 4 speed Mach1. You could find the same condition car for much less.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2021, 09:55:22 AM »

like I said about the cars: they made 200 Cobras but 12K 69 428 CJ MUstangs. You are real likely to find another in a more realistic price than trying to find such a variance in one of the 200 Cobras pricewise. Guy paid 147K for a 69 R-code non SCJ 4 speed Mach1. You could find the same condition car for much less.

I'm not looking to qualify anyone here or for that matter anywhere. I'm just trying to get a grasp of what is going on at this moment.

You are not the nouveau riche that want it now Gary. Someone else likely is.

There is a considerable argument for not waiting for next year and living for today.
At some point, some prophet will be correct and there will be no tomorrow. Long shots do come in.

By the same token I am reminded that a sure sign of getting old is to have dreams replaced by regrets.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 11:00:51 AM »
Just a question, but what if you buy something from BAT, and after all the "glamour shots" (remember that business?), you get the car and it is nothing but bondo and pits in the paint and on the car, but with their expert photography it looked great and you trusted what was said about the car???? Do you have recourse? Can you get some money back? What is the percentage of sales that go through? Unlike our re-list-ville place, ebay???

Disclaimer:
Don't  read the above and say "What a stupid idiot for not getting a reliable PPI!" Remember, "In God we trust, all others we monitor." HIS Security
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 11:18:59 AM »
Just a question, but what if you buy something from BAT, and after all the "glamour shots" (remember that business?), you get the car and it is nothing but bondo and pits in the paint and on the car, but with their expert photography it looked great and you trusted what was said about the car???? Do you have recourse? Can you get some money back? What is the percentage of sales that go through? Unlike our re-list-ville place, ebay???

Disclaimer:
Don't  read the above and say "What a stupid idiot for not getting a reliable PPI!" Remember, "In God we trust, all others we monitor." HIS Security
There are sales that  do not go through on BaT. The bidder though is out 5 percent max 5K. My guess is some decided to cut their losses on a car. I am careful on what I say on the auctions. One thing is I saw a 69 CJ car where it appeared to be freshly stripped on a rotisserie in some low resolution pics. You could plainly see rust free original floors and shell. The finished car had 65-68 incorrect floor pans in it. I contacted the seller and i got the standard answer" I bought it the way you see it so if pans were replaced it was before I got the car". Deniability. To the untrained eye it would appear you were buying a numbers matching rust free 69 CJ Mach1. But to me my first thought was the pics shown of the car on the rotisserie was NOT the car  in the auction. Maybe the seller was duped on that as well?

Another was the pastel gray 69 GT500. First off the seller alluded to mostly original paint and body. Well it had a 70 passengers door on it. other clues led me to be 99.999 percent sure a repaint. Buyers will pay more for an original car. This isn't the first "original" car people have bought on BaT that wasn't. So those who choose to buy a car on faith then you get what you get. Sometimes it is better than the seller said it was and sometimes it isn't.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 11:20:48 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2021, 02:19:49 PM »
Bid to $135,000.00 - Did not meet reserve.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2021, 06:09:28 PM »
Not a betting man but on this one I would wager (as the Beatles sang) that bid up to $135 was "with a little help from my friends "

Oh well vacation is now over,  got to get back to "Relistville" USA

Bid to $135,000.00 - Did not meet reserve.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2021, 06:38:45 PM »
The 69 Grabber Blue GT350 sure felt that way.. Local bidders using their name, bidding up +25K...  No warm fuzzies there.  Lots of electrical gremlins disclosed on the final day in the last few hours...not a great look.
Tom - DFW, Texas