News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Chuck Cantwell's GT350 book--anybody got a book report--it's half price now

Started by HistoryBuff, November 09, 2021, 04:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HistoryBuff

On Bullpublising website it says this:
"

Shelby Mustang GT350: My Years Designing, Testing and Racing Carroll's Legendary Mustangs
Sale Price:24.95 Original Price:49.95 SALE
Author: Chuck Cantwell with Greg Kolasa

Format: Hardcover, 9" by 11", 224 pages

Photos: 125 black-and-white and 71 color

ISBN: 978 1 935007 29 6

When the Ford Motor Company needed a new car aimed at the youth market of the 1960s, it created the instantly-popular Mustang. When it decided to turn the Mustang into a true sports car it turned to Carroll Shelby. And when Shelby needed an engineer to develop what would become the classic Mustang GT350 he hired Chuck Cantwell.

In Shelby Mustang GT350: My Years Designing, Testing And Racing Carroll's Legendary Mustangs Cantwell delivers a unique first-hand account of his years at the Shelby American company. Working alongside Shelby and a dedicated team, he succeeded in producing a car that was an immediate success on the race track and an iconic muscle car whose reputation remains unmatched after more than half a century.

When Shelby hired Chuck from General Motors, he got more than an experienced project engineer. He also got an accomplished driver, a three-time SCCA Division class champion in cars that he prepared himself. That background helped Chuck engineer solutions for the Mustang and accurately evaluate them, even in competition. The Shelby GT350 won the SCCA's B- Production National Championship three years in a row, and Ford won two consecutive Trans-Am Manufacturers Championships in Mustangs prepared and campaigned by Shelby American.

On a subject as popular as the Shelby Mustang GT350 fresh, definitive information is hard to come by, but that is exactly what Chuck provides. He shares fresh technical details, never-before-heard anecdotes, and corrects popular misconceptions about the GT350's origins and development. Chuck also covers his work on later cars like the GT500, as well as his critical role with the Shelby racing team in the Trans-Am series. And his month-by-month narrative is supported by scores of photographs (including many rare images from his own collection and those of other Shelby insiders) as well as technical drawings and company memos. Additional background information, data, and details are provided by co-author Greg Kolasa, an automotive historian who has spent decades researching and writing about Carroll Shelby's cars.

Shelby Mustang GT350 is a vivid, fact-filled account of how the man Carroll Shelby dubbed "Mr. GT350" led the effort to create an American automotive legend. It's precisely the book that Shelby Mustang owners and other enthusiasts have been waiting for."

Is the book informative and worth the money?

PS never saw that picture of Shel.He looks blissfully happy....

silverton_ford

Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

HistoryBuff

pchmotoho

67st102

Totally worth the price.  Chuck was there - how many other book authors on this topic were?  This book contains a lot of written information about the operation as well as great photos.  This is a must have book for anybody wanting to know the real details about Shelby American back in the day. This is also a quality printed book with good binding and heavy pages. You will not regret the purchase.

HistoryBuff

JD

Quote from: 67st102 on November 09, 2021, 08:39:27 PM
Totally worth the price.  Chuck was there - how many other book authors on this topic were?  This book contains a lot of written information about the operation as well as great photos.  This is a must have book for anybody wanting to know the real details about Shelby American back in the day. This is also a quality printed book with good binding and heavy pages. You will not regret the purchase.

GREAT BOOK, by a great guy who was there making it happen!

Many photos used in this book were taken by Mr. Cantwell (I heard one roll was found undeveloped and got processed) and by some other guys that were there.  Real look at what happened, not "Hollywood twisted".

There was a limited printing of a "Publisher's Edition" if you can find one get it, extra pages of photos!!

The reason Ol' Shel is so blissful is that photo was after winning the first '67 Trans-Am victory at Sebring after the disappointing finish at Daytona a month earlier.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

S7MS427

Great book with a lot of details.  Bought mine from both Chuck and Greg hot off the press and at half price (I know both of them personally).  They had brought some copies with them to a show and were selling them by word of mouth.  Chuck is one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.  Great story teller too.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

6s1802

A must for any 65-7 Shelby owner. And remember kids Uncle Chuck is the father of our cars.

HERTZ II

Clearly a "must read" for any Shelby enthusiast.  Since it's discounted and with Christmas just around the corner, purchase 2......treat yourself and a friend to an early Christmas gift. 

68gtcoupe

DCC

Dad still has some copies and will be happy to sell them directly and sign them, of course, if anyone is interested. I don't believe he gets anything from the publisher now (which is a story for another day).

GT350Lad

Great book. I may take you up on the autographed copy. Will be in touch
Chuck is such a generous guy with his time. I called him and spoke to him a few months back.
Cheers
6S373
6S1276

Kent

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68