News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

does anyone have specific knowledge about '21 Explorers? (tow package)

Started by mark p, November 10, 2021, 11:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark p

I'm looking for a new Explorer, and prefer to get the tow package - in order to be safe & correct for towing a car trailer. It would be my open trailer, maximum weight 5400#.
In today's market, inventory is very slim. Our local dealer has little stock, and requiring the "Class III Tow Package" is eliminating most of what is around.
The salesguy noted that the regular XLT includes "TRAILER SWAY CONTROL" (per the window sticker)...

Does anyone know - or know how to find out - other than the actual hitch (and possibly the exterior plugs) - easily added via aftermarket - what else is included with the Tow Package?
Is a special brake controller needed to integrate with that "sway control"? Is the under-dash wiring included?
Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

98SVT - was 06GT

DO NOT buy an Explorer to tow with. The EcoBoost is a poor choice and gets terrible mileage when towing. Get the right tool for the job a V8.
The sway control is electronic and I think it just senses something is amiss and sends a brake signal to the trailer. There will be an adapter plug in the glove box that you wire to your controller and plug in under the dash. If you do not order the tow package you will need to add all the wiring and the hitch.

With an 17.9 gallon tank and the simple fact that the 3.6 EcoBoost gets about 10 mpg towing you'll be stopping every couple hours for gas.

Our Flex gets 10 mpg towing our 4200 lb travel trailer. Our 2004 Excursion with more weight, 4wd, lower gears and 5.4 V8 gets 12 mpg towing the same trailer and holds 44 gallons of gas - it's the right tool for the job.

ADDED: In the past year I had considered replacing our Excursion with it's 287,000+ miles. Shopping around the only thing similar was the Chevy Tahoe or the Nissan Armada. Both offer V8 and ample towing - something Ford has omitted from their SUV lineup.
PS - decided to keep the Excursion and have a fresh longblock sitting in the garage now. Maybe I'll get to it this winter.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Don Johnston

The Explorer ST with twin turbo is rated or only 5000lb towing.  You can always reference the Explorer ST forum and see what they say.  But your weight load sounds like something or an F150 or F250.

mark p

thanks for that insight.
We have an E250 (wheelchair van) 5.4 that handles the "heavy lifting".
This question relates to having a workable / occasional option for "just-in-case" for my particular situation. "IF" I really wanted to go to an event and the wife couldn't go... I would not be able to take "her van" away, thus prefer to have an alternative handy. This has not happened in the last 6 years, but it "could".
For this type scenario - a rare occurrence, and more than likely a relatively short distance - the fuel mileage would not be a major concern.
I'm trying to find out if the "Tow Package" includes anything that cannot be easily added as "day 2" parts/equipment.

Further notes (fwiw) - the EcoBoost 2.3 (4-cyl) in an XLT Explorer is rated to tow "X"#. The 3.0 twin-turbo in the ST (yeah, 400 hp) is rated for "Y"# of towing.
Hmmmm.
(I edited out the incorrect tow capacities since there are different ratings depending on where you look)

a new Explorer in our fleet would not be doing this:
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

gt350shelb

Do not attempt to add a tow  package to any new ford  that does not come equipped with it ... it is not just  a few wires  like the old days .  I would also not use a new explorer ......   want something fun get a 2013 f150 lariat  with a 6.2 gas motor  .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Bill

I'm wondering if a new Ranger might be better for your needs as I see them advertised with a 7,000lb towing capacity.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

98SVT - was 06GT

Class III Trailer Towing Package
The available Class III Trailer Towing Package paired with the 3.3-liter Hybrid V-6 is necessary in order to achieve the maximum towing capacity of 5,600 pounds on your 2021 Ford Explorer. The towing package includes a Class III frame-mounted hitch, an engine oil cooler, a seven-wire harness, and four- and seven-pin trailer connectors. The Trailer Towing Package enables drivers to easily and properly connect all trailer lights and is recommended for all Ford vehicles that are used for towing.

Both V-6 show 5600 the 4cyl shows 5300
https://planetforddallas.com/blog/2021-ford-explorer-towing-capacity
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Jim Herrud

Since the mid '80's, I'd been towing my trailers with Suburbans and had been mostly satisfied. I've used an '86 and a '93 1/2-ton with the 350cid V8 and then bought a '98 2500 'Burb with the 454. The 3/4 ton was a better towing rig, but still struggled up the mountain grades with the engine running near redline in 2nd gear. We won't discuss mileage.

My brother and several other family members had been nagging me for years to try a diesel. In 2017, I finally relented and bought a leftover '17 Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel. They were right. I will never look back. It is hands-down the best towing experience. Even climbing hills I can barely feel the 24' 7500 lb enclosed trailer - except for the dash gauge showing higher boost! I get 12 MPG towing (some mountains - hard to avoid around here) and 22 MPG without a trailer.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a "Vintage Car" guy. Now I'm just a "Vintage" car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

mark p

^^^ Thanks everyone.
Phil - your reply is what I thought could be the case.

{as usual?} ... sounds like more research is needed... and I may have misunderstood some of what the Ford website is saying  ???
I will continue to check, and hopefully get to definitive answers.
(edited version: "if the wife can't go - and I can't use her van - then maybe I won't be towing at all")

mark p

TA Coupe

If you only need to tow something a couple of times a year then rent a truck and trailer and you will be tens of thousands of dollars ahead in the in the end.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

mark p

It has arrived (includes the tow package)... and follows pretty well with previous vehicles. Thanks again for the help.
I could not find a photo of the Mountaineer when it was clean... I "only" drove it for 100k miles  ::)

Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

mark p

Quote from: Bill on December 03, 2021, 09:13:12 PM
Tell me more about what you ordered.  8)
Bill

In this "environment", it seemed more like what you can beg, borrow, or steal  ::)
My "requirements" were 4WD and the Tow Package... kinda "low end".
Apparently, at this time - the sales folks practically fight over any new vehicles, as supplies are very limited (especially with the tow pkg), and most are pre-sold before they leave the factory. "Our guy" (long-time dealer guy who has sold the company vehicles for close to 20 years) also indicated that the dealers swapping vehicles is not happening. He was able to switch this one to us from the other customer that it had been "promised to". This was a dealer-ordered unit. Our company needed it delivered in 2021, so ordering was not really on the table.
Bottom Line: This is an XLT with the "XLT Sport Appearance Package", which also requires another package(#202A). The "Sport" package includes the dark 20" wheels, dark trim, dual exhausts (yeah, for a turbo-4) and some other things + 2-tone interior elements. I really like the look.
Let me know if you'd like further details. It did seem strange to me that this came off the truck from the factory on 11/29, but it is a 2021 model year.