Author Topic: Radio speaker  (Read 1152 times)

Odenvy

• View Profile
Radio speaker
« on: November 11, 2021, 10:25:47 AM »
Hi guys! Happy Veteran's Day. Thank you all for your service.
I purchased an original 67 radio to have the modern internal conversion chip added inside to give me FM as well as an aux plug. It took some time with all the covid stuff and it is finally on its way back to me. My question is does anyone know of a speaker available that will fit in the original space on my dash that can handle the new sound. Does anyone know what size is in there and or have a suggestion as to an unnoticeable direct bolt upgrade without involving damaging my dash. My original is an am only paper speaker and I am pretty sure it will sound terrible and blow out now. Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 10:30:25 AM by Odenvy »
3:16

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Radio speaker
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 12:37:50 PM »

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 06:04:39 PM »
I recently had Retro Radio Restorations in PA restore/convert my 1970 Philco AM radio from a 70 Mach 1.  I bought a Retro Sound D-572 5"X7" speaker from him.  The speaker fit in the original dash pad location after removing the four original speaker studs (retained by a spring clip at the base of the stud) and using the supplied screws and speed nuts to replace the studs.  The overall size is a bit bigger than the original speaker, but fits without a problem.  I see 4"X10" and 5"X7" speakers listed online as 67-68 replacements.  Looks like they might only use two screws/studs for mounting.  Most online sources have pictures to match what your original looks like.

Odenvy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 09:02:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I see the other link for speakers says “not for a/c cars”. I figure its because the vent is center dash under the speaker and the magnet is deep and will interfere.
I, however, do have an a/c car and an guessing I should remove the current speaker to take some measurements. I was hoping to complete the job of installing he new radio conversion and speaker at the same time because I know myself and the car will sit in pieces if I have to remove it and he a/c and hen order something  and I will never have time to put her back together or forget how to. That is why I was hoping there was a part number somewhere that I could order in advance. It took a while for Fred to make me a fuel pump also, since the a/c made the fit more difficult as well. Seems here were very few with a/c and no info out there on certain limited use items like a speaker mod for a vent and a longer fuel pump body on only a handful of 67’s with a mystery Z on the tag!
3:16