News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Adding Stabil to the Laguna Seca

Started by deathsled, November 12, 2021, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

That time of year again.  I will still start her from time to time over the winter to keep the fluids going through the veins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG9scG-i5VQ

"You care more about that car than you care about me."  'sniffle...sniffle...'

Me: Yeah and?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

69mach351w

Remember to pump the brakes, turn steering wheel, shift the transmission, especially if an AT.

Preferably driving is best when weather allows.  I drive my Mustangs once a month even if it in the 30's as long as the roads are clear  ;)

deathsled

I think those are all good ideas.  I fall into the category of starting and driving them (at least in the driveway) during the winter months as opposed to leaving them sit all winter.  Seems there are always divergent schools of thought on many subjects (including this one).

jk66gt350

I'm on the other side of the debate - I've been storing cars of all kinds seasonally for 50 years 6 months at a time.  I fill them up with treated gas, run them on the roads at least 20 minutes, shut them down, take out the battery or put a battery tender on, cover them up and leave them in a dry garage.  I've never had a problem with one of them in the spring.  If you do start them up from time to time, I agree it's way better for the car to drive it to get it up to full operating temp vs start it and let it run sitting for a while.

shelbydoug

Quote from: deathsled on November 12, 2021, 02:25:35 PM
That time of year again.  I will still start her from time to time over the winter to keep the fluids going through the veins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG9scG-i5VQ

"You care more about that car than you care about me."  'sniffle...sniffle...'

Me: Yeah and?

You are making me paranoid about this. I don't think you need to do anything to the gas.

Additionally, I'm not sure the engine will like the stuff when you start it up.

It's gonna' be like rum and Coke with Diet Coke. Yuck.

Cosmos are better. You get a double Vodka with vitamin D. You only need three then you think you had six!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

The timbre of the engine changes (favorably) when Stabil is added and run for 5 minutes.  The science (if I may call it science here) behind Stabil is to counteract the 10 percent ethanol added to the gas that tends to break down the gasoline when stored over longer periods of time.  Back when gasoline was 100 percent of what it was advertised to be (sans ethanol) such problems were not so prevalent.

Here's a quote on the product:
"STA-BIL Storage is designed to protect engines that are being stored for prolonged periods.

It eliminates the need to drain the fuel tank before storage and keeps fuel fresh for up to 24 months.

Fuel left in the tank of a stored vehicle can begin to break down in as little as 30-60 days. This can cause gum, varnish, rust and corrosion to build up in the fuel lines and engine.

STA-BIL prevents the fuel in the tank from deteriorating and stops the above from happening. 

It also removes water from the petrol tank and cleans carburettors and fuel injectors. STA-BIL Storage protects against all the dangers of ethanol and E10 petrol (it in fact protects against ethanol blends up to E85).

With STA-BIL Storage you don't have to worry when you next start up your pride and joy after storing it."

FL SAAC

Gas without ethanol breaks down into gum, varnish, gunk

Gas with ethanol biggest issue is separation
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

I'm not going to argue. I can only speak from my experiences.

I have had some E85 for years and it is still clear and shows no effects of having lost it's octane.

If the loss of ethanol doesn't effect the octane then maybe that's what happens here.

I should also acknowledge that the changes may be affect or accelerated by certain types of weather conditions? That I don't know but storage temperatures may be part of the equation?

Generally speaking the utilty equipment like lawn mowers are run on pump gas and I see no changes in it over the winter months after we dig them out for the spring.

I do know that the boat people swear by it but those are maximum humidity conditions being on the water for us.

We don't get to the 90%+ relative humidity until late June through about the middle of August.

If putting it in the gas tank doesn't hurt and it makes you feel better but I don't know any of the car guys here complaining about their gas going bad over the winter?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

Even if it doesn't work, it is a helpful psychological crutch for me.  So if the gasoline does go bad, then I will know that I did what I could to prevent gasoline breakdown, but lost to the general and universal rule of entropy.  In essence, Stabil becomes my personal placebo.

CSX 4133

The problem with ethanol fuel is it's highly hydroscopic (attracts water basically) which dilutes the fuel and makes a corrosive mixture within the tank. Fortunately I have access to 93 non ethanol fuel to which I add several gallons of 110 race fuel. I keep my cars filled with this mixture with no issues.

deathsled

Quote from: CSX 4133 on November 13, 2021, 09:44:44 PM

The problem with ethanol fuel is it's highly hydroscopic (attracts water basically) which dilutes the fuel and makes a corrosive mixture within the tank. Fortunately I have access to 93 non ethanol fuel to which I add several gallons of 110 race fuel. I  my cars filled with this mixture with no issues.
That's pretty kick a$$.

69mach351w

Quote from: CSX 4133 on November 13, 2021, 09:44:44 PM
The problem with ethanol fuel is it's highly hydroscopic (attracts water basically) which dilutes the fuel and makes a corrosive mixture within the tank. Fortunately I have access to 93 non ethanol fuel to which I add several gallons of 110 race fuel. I keep my cars filled with this mixture with no issues.
+1, and for me, it's available right down the street for me  ;D