News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT350 Early Steel Frame Hood

Started by Monzinger, November 13, 2021, 10:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monzinger

Hallo,
are there two different engine hoods?
I have heard about a early steel frame hood. What is difference to the later hood?

Best regards
Michael from Germany
Michael from Germany: 66 GT350, 67 GT350, 68 GT500, 69 GT500

shelbydoug

Quote from: Monzinger on November 13, 2021, 10:11:09 AM
Hallo,
I have heard about a early steel frame hood. What is difference to the later hood?

Best regards
Michael from Germany

OYE!  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Hallo,

Best regards
Michael from Germany
On the early steel innerstructure hoods there was one for the GT350 and one for GT500. The one for the GT500 was the same hood except the steel innerstructure was cut at the factory and notched for clearance so that the oval air cleaner on the GT500 would clear when the hood was shut. The later all fiberglass hoods would fit ether GT350 or 500 without modification.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 13, 2021, 10:38:10 AM
Hallo,

Best regards
Michael from Germany
On the early steel innerstructure hoods there was one for the GT350 and one for GT500. The one for the GT500 was the same hood except the steel innerstructure was cut at the factory and notched for clearance so that the oval air cleaner on the GT500 would clear when the hood was shut. The later all fiberglass hoods would fit ether GT350 or 500 without modification.

There was also a later all-fiberglass with Louvers developed for Big-Block A/C cars...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

Does anyone know if there were different fiberglass methods of construction for the hybrid metal structure hoods.

(cloth mesh on the early parts and maybe mat strand on the later ones...different vendors?)

That would take the versions of hoods from 4 to 6, if true.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

430dragpack

When we are saying "earlier" and "later", what are the approximate car numbers of GT350's and 500's for certain hood style usage?

BeaterGT500

For what it's worth, number 683 GT500 built in January has an all fiberglass hood and steel frame/fiberglass skin deck lid.
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

GT350DAVE

Quote from: 430dragpack on November 13, 2021, 12:27:39 PM
When we are saying "earlier" and "later", what are the approximate car numbers of GT350's and 500's for certain hood style usage?

It was done by date. Shelby was running out of metal framed hoods in March so there was a mix of all glass and metal framed hoods, especially later on in the month. A few metal hoods did make it into April. Near the end of the run of them, some GT 350's ended up with hoods with the GT 500 cut out.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

Richstang

Quote from: 430dragpack on November 13, 2021, 12:27:39 PM

There is no definitive line in the sand. It is mostly based on the build dates at SJ and the completion dates at SAI.
With so many running changes at both Ford and Shelby that's the coined phrase that has been repeatedly used and accepted.

For the hoods, it appear the metal structure was used far longer that some people might think.
It believe we are looking at the running change at SAI happening in March of 1967. (thanks Dave, I was going off of my memory)

Monzinger

Vielen Dank für euere Rückmeldung.

Zusammenfassung:
Es gibt zwei Varianten für die GT350
Wie kann ich diese unterscheiden? Hat jemand Bilder von den unterschiedlichen hauben?

Grüße

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on November 13, 2021, 12:16:08 PM
Does anyone know if there were different fiberglass methods of construction for the hybrid metal structure hoods.

(cloth mesh on the early parts and maybe mat strand on the later ones...different vendors?)

I have seen a good number of steel inner structure hoods in my many years of inspecting and judging 67 Shelby's none of which that I have come across that the fiberglass skins were of the chopped up fiberglass piece material variety . If any were done it would most likely be a very small fraction of production.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 13, 2021, 01:26:36 PM

I have seen a good number of steel inner structure hoods in my many years of inspecting and judging 67 Shelby's none of which that I have come across that the fiberglass skins were of the chopped up fiberglass piece material variety . If any were done it would most likely be a very small fraction of production.
thanks Bob...that is good to know.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 13, 2021, 01:26:36 PM

I should clarify that I hadn't seen any original hoods that way. I have seen some restorer attempts to copy the original steel inner structure hoods where a later original chopped fiperglass or repro hood was used and the steel inner structure added.

Richstang

Also good to know, thanks for adding that point.
I may have seen one or two with the mat strand with metal, but I'm not certain if they were reproduction parts as you mention.
It was a good question for a discussion, and something I will pay more attention to going forward.

Monzinger

Thank you for your help and explanation