News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hood blackout stripes

Started by hurlbird, November 14, 2021, 03:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlbird

What is the story here? I don't see a reference to them as being correct anywhere but saw them on a car in a museum. Thanks

KR500

All 68 Shelby's got them, even black cars. They were used to help reduce glare from that surface of the hood.

Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

hurlbird

Wow I've never noticed that. Thanks

shelbydoug

The parts book refered to them as decals. S8MS part numbers.

They are easy to replicate with satin black paint. Don't go crazy trying to find some.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

honker

Is this area (red arrows) not easy to see,  what hurlbird is talking about. The KR and family might have been on the old forum, the

GT500 on the trailer I shot in upper N.Y. state on the the way to Watkins Glen in '89.

I never noticed that before, one doesn't see too many photos that show that area well, just looking at '68s in my files and I see

that some cars that area is body colour, maybe after a repaint ?

Mike

TLea

Like Rodney said all cars got them. There is early and late style

shelbydoug

Quote from: honker on November 14, 2021, 09:49:14 PM
Is this area (red arrows) not easy to see,  what hurlbird is talking about. The KR and family might have been on the old forum, the

GT500 on the trailer I shot in upper N.Y. state on the the way to Watkins Glen in '89.

I never noticed that before, one doesn't see too many photos that show that area well, just looking at '68s in my files and I see

that some cars that area is body colour, maybe after a repaint ?

Mike

You need to ask him but it is the only thing that comes close to '68 hood stripes?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Branda has sold the black hood decals for many decades. I haven't  seen any recent ones they sell. They used to be very close in appearance but not exact. They may be longer now to wrap around edge of hood. A small nuance detail but different none the less.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Side-Oilers

Bob (and Pete, if he's reading this thread)...

I always wondered if these blackout decals were installed to make that area of the hood look like air extractors.

Sure, the glare thing makes sense too.  Kinda strange that they were applied to black cars, though.  Okay, that was probably easier for production. Do them all the same.

But, have you ever come across a "simulated air extractor" reasoning for the blackout decals?
Van

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

TLea

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 15, 2021, 11:54:06 AM
They may be longer now to wrap around edge of hood. A small nuance detail but different none the less.
How far they wrap around is an early/late thing. The ones we have made are the long ones so they can be cut for either

J_Speegle

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 15, 2021, 04:59:21 PM

I always wondered if these blackout decals were installed to make that area of the hood look like air extractors.

Sure, the glare thing makes sense too.  Kinda strange that they were applied to black cars, though.  ................

Think that would support the idea that they were meant to diminish the glare/reflection of the sun
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TLea

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 15, 2021, 04:59:21 PM

Sure, the glare thing makes sense too.  Kinda strange that they were applied to black cars, though.  Okay, that was probably easier for production. Do them all the same.
Really? You've never seen the glare coming off a shiny black car? Sorry I'm not Bob or Pete

Side-Oilers

Hey Tim,

I've driven a couple of '68s without the black decals (obviously they were repainted cars) and never noticed a glare problem. Even here in sunny SoCal.  8) 8)

But, I guess I'll go along with the consensus.

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

TLea

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 16, 2021, 10:58:38 PM
Hey Tim,

I've driven a couple of '68s without the black decals (obviously they were repainted cars) and never noticed a glare problem. Even here in sunny SoCal.  8) 8)

But, I guess I'll go along with the consensus.
Regular mustang hood that area is flat but on Shelby it tilts toward driver because of raised scoop area.  See similar on other cars with factory hood scoops. Also header bows being dul chrome on convertibles