Author Topic: Seat covers, original or not?  (Read 4956 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Seat covers, original or not?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 06:44:24 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input on the seat covers.

Brain, I see where Carroll Shelby's signature is located on the seat foam. I tried to snap a photo of it, but the signature has fadded and can't be picked up by my camera lens. You'll have to take my word for it!

Next, to Side Oilers, I always wondered whose butt imprint was embedded in my seat covers, thanks for that!

Bob and Cory, I've posted a couple photos here for you guys to study. I do see the blue thread that you mentioned. I'm not sure about the beading size since I don't have anything to compare it with. Perhaps you can tell from the photos.

Randy, are you well pleased with your covers from Distinctive Industries? Where did you get them?

Brant, thanks for posting the photo, those seats look perfect to me.

Cory, I'll try to get photos again once I've removed the covers. I wasn't aware of the wires that run through the burlap. I'm guessing that you're correct in that most reupholster shops don't do it. 

Show the top side because that is the most important part IMO because it is seen. The bottom isn't seen once installed. The top side is also the easiest way to tell if original or like original (in the case of a concours recover) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 08:51:49 PM »
Top side photos.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 09:01:02 PM »
Top side photos.

Notice the smaller diameter inner welting in comparison to the larger diameter outer welting. The contrast diameters are what is seen in original seat upholstery. Although the upholstery looks typical the seat bottom appears to have been over stuffed at some point by a PO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 10:04:01 PM »
Bob, Thanks so much for your input. I now see what you mean by the smaller diameter inner welting in comparison to the larger diameter outer welting. Denny

NEFaurora

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 11:05:26 PM »
A fast, easy way to tell if its an Original Ford Seat cover is that if you turn the seat over, The bottom material will have cloth "stretchings" for the listing rods (As Brants's first and third pics show plainly illustrate on his original seat) where you hogring the hogrings.  No Repro seat covers ever had these cloth "Stretchings"... All Repro Seat covers just continue the vinyl material to the end where the hogring holes are and don't have cloth material sewn on for the listing rods.  The repros have like a felt material (not cloth) used for the listing rods just sewn to the vinyl.

:o)

Tony K.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:08:42 PM by NEFaurora »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 09:11:57 AM »
The welting is the little bead visible between the panels. As Mr Gaines stated, if you look closely the welting is different diameters. Once you know that, its easy to spot.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 11:03:52 AM »
Some of the repro 'welting' is made with the vinyl that matches the seats instead of solid plastic like originals.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

ramrace

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 11:59:47 AM »
It is my understanding the welting on original seats was extruded, after market seats have a rope type material covered with vinyl. Thoughts?

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 12:27:28 PM »
As Charles mentions, the original was not a vinyl covered cord. I think there is a possibility that some brands may still be using this wrapped cord.

We handle TMI upholstery, which uses a much nicer cord than the wrapped stuff.

You can also see that the "inner" cord around the insert of the seat is much smaller than the outside one.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang