News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Cobra with a lot of ??? Just want to share this

Started by Kent, November 15, 2021, 02:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Cobra Ned

Has an assigned VIN that attempts to mimic the initial COB/COX numbers, but uses a zero in place of the letter O. Was never built as a Cobra by AC Cars or Shelby American, and was not placed in the Registry by the Registrar, but by the Editor.

csxsfm

Kent

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

shelbydoug

Quote from: Cobra Ned on November 15, 2021, 08:02:27 AM
Has an assigned VIN that attempts to mimic the initial COB/COX numbers, but uses a zero in place of the letter O. Was never built as a Cobra by AC Cars or Shelby American, and was not placed in the Registry by the Registrar, but by the Editor.

:o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427hunter

Quote from: Cobra Ned on November 15, 2021, 08:02:27 AM

So are you saying that is not the example chassis built by S/A and the car is a fraud ?
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

JohnHouston

I don't think it is a fraud, but it is an original chassis (or at least frame, since I think the hot rod version of it killed the original suspension parts) with a non original VIN, engine, trans and body. . .    Make of that what you will.  Cool car and I had some interest in it, but I didn't know what to make of it.

The worst thing I can say about this car is that it was auctioned by Fantasy Junction, I think, on BAT some time ago.  No reserve auction and, by the BAT comments, the owner shilled it without Fantasy Junction's knowledge. Ugly, ugly, ugly.  Read the auction comments on BAT and that'll be an hour of your life you will never get back . . .

John

427hunter

Quote from: JohnHouston on November 15, 2021, 11:32:18 AM
I don't think it is a fraud, but it is an original chassis (or at least frame, since I think the hot rod version of it killed the original suspension parts) with a non original VIN, engine, trans and body. . .    Make of that what you will.  Cool car and I had some interest in it, but I didn't know what to make of it.

The worst thing I can say about this car is that it was auctioned by Fantasy Junction, I think, on BAT some time ago.  No reserve auction and, by the BAT comments, the owner shilled it without Fantasy Junction's knowledge. Ugly, ugly, ugly.  Read the auction comments on BAT and that'll be an hour of your life you will never get back . . .

John

Everything that you and Ned wrote is in the ebay listing. Unless Ned is going to say that's not the original chassis,  what's the problem?

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

JohnHouston

Quote from: 427hunter on November 15, 2021, 11:41:10 AM

John

Everything that you and Ned wrote is in the ebay listing. Unless Ned is going to say that's not the original chassis,  what's the problem?

Except for the owner shilling an auction.  That part isn't in there, so everything isn't there. 

That said, I like the car, and was somewhat interested in it.  I just couldn't figure out if it was the cheapest Cobra out there, or the most expensive replica . . . 

427hunter

Quote from: JohnHouston on November 15, 2021, 01:17:47 PM

John

Except for the owner shilling an auction.  That part isn't in there, so everything isn't there. 

That said, I like the car, and was somewhat interested in it.  I just couldn't figure out if it was the cheapest Cobra out there, or the most expensive replica . . .

What does that have to do with the chassis ?

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

Bill

John

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-ac-289-show-chassis-cobra/

Yup  ::)
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

JohnHouston

Quote from: 427hunter on November 15, 2021, 01:22:41 PM
Quote from: JohnHouston on November 15, 2021, 01:17:47 PM

John

What does that have to do with the chassis ?
Not one little thing.  Nor did I say, or even imply, it did.  Please reread, as I started with "I don't think it is a fraud ..  ."  That means what it says.  Like I said, the tough question for me is not what it isn't, but what it is???  Cheap Cobra?  Expensive replica? 

98SVT - was 06GT

I think this is one of those cars that can get you sued if you let the truth be known since it would affect the inflated value/story. If I remember AC cars stamped numbers in many places and on several major parts. If they are all missing I'd suspect an AC Ace chassis is being foisted off as a Cobra.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

fastpace

Sounds like the car has basically been built off what was originally just a display piece.  It never was originally a Cobra, and it was never assigned a VIN by AC or Shelby. 

In which case, my thought is you're buying the car for what it is a replica built on a correct frame.  You're not buying it for the history necessarily, which is where the value of original cobras separate from some of the most correct replicas.  It's fairly well listed about the history in the auction, but it's easy to get excited and overlook 1 detail (although I hope anyone spending $250k is detailed).

What I don't like, is that whoever created it into what it is now, has attempted to confuse and deceive an unknowing buyer by requesting and entering a VIN so close to an original Cobra.  Changing an O to a 0 is a common trick people use to bypass or cause confusion.  Now that it's been done though, it's tough to undo as the car has an established history under it's current VIN.

I didn't get the chance to read the full BaT auction but sounds like the owner was inflating his auction.  Just shows the owner doesn't have much integrity and is willing to go to extreme measures to inflate the value of his car versus selling it for what it is and how it is.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: fastpace on November 15, 2021, 02:43:22 PMsounds like the owner was inflating his auction.  Just shows the owner doesn't have much integrity and is willing to go to extreme measures to inflate the value of his car versus selling it for what it is and how it is.
Any seller can/will/might/should (use what you want) hype his car. It's about putting the max amount of $$$ in his pocket. It's up to the buyer to sort it out and pass/buy/offer on his own findings. Bottom line buy the car not the story.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless