News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Cobra with a lot of ??? Just want to share this

Started by Kent, November 15, 2021, 02:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris NOS

""Sounds like the car has basically been built off what was originally just a display piece.  It never was originally a Cobra, and it was never assigned a VIN by AC or Shelby.  ""

Exactly , from there buyer is deciding if this car worth more or less than a "continuation csx " or kirkham replica ...and bid on it or no !

tesgt350

"It was sent in 1965 to Cal Automotive, a Shelby subcontractor, where a Ford T-bucket body was installed. The car was then registered for street use, and later in the mid-1990s was fitted with a hand-formed aluminum Cobra body by Kimmins Custom Fabrication of Lake Havasu City, Arizona. After being raced in the late-1990s, it received a refresh and was assigned chassis number COB5998."

In 1965 it had a T-Bucket Body installed and Registered for Street use SO, wouldn't that mean the DMV assigned a VIN# to it?  If so, how could another Company assign another VIN# to it?

Kent

That is a very good question I asked myself before posting it here.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Manufacturers in the U.S. are required to assign a VIN to all "saleable" vehicles by federal law.  The law sets parameters on what the VIN must consist of. I'm not sure when the requirement went into effect, but VINs have been assigned since at least the 1950s-early 60s. (I'm not as familiar with pre-50s vehicles) Some sort of ID number had been used even before the VIN requirement.

Some "non-saleable' vehicles are produced, usually for testing, shows, etc. that do not have a VIN assigned from the manufacturer.  Generally, they are destroyed when their purpose is fulfilled.  Occasionally, some make it "out" to the public in various ways.

"Second stage" manufacturers, like Shelby American, can issue VINs in certain circumstances.  Another place where you might see this is with truck body and specialty vehicle manufacturers.

States can issue VINs as well.  Most states have a procedure to issue a new VIN to a vehicle that has been substantially altered from it's original manufacture.  The states set the parameters on what this involves.  This is used for wrecks, "salvage" vehicles, etc.  An example of where a state issued VIN might be required to title/register a vehicle would be when replacing the original body with a new one.     

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 5566 on November 17, 2021, 09:30:02 AM
Manufacturers in the U.S. are required to assign a VIN to all "saleable" vehicles by federal law.  The law sets parameters on what the VIN must consist of. I'm not sure when the requirement went into effect, but VINs have been assigned since at least the 1950s-early 60s. (I'm not as familiar with pre-50s vehicles) Some sort of ID number had been used even before the VIN requirement.
Starting on January 1, 1969, all passenger cars manufactured in the United States or manufactured overseas on or after January 1, 1969, and subsequently imported into the United States were required to have a VIN.
In 1981 they added the 17 digit requirement and standardized the VIN for all manufacturers.
In 1987 they were also required to mark major components with the VIN.

Before 1969 the numbers were mainly for the manufacturer to keep track of production and warranty - they really didn't care if your car was located after it was stolen. Depending on the dealer/state/fluke cars could be registered by the body number or engine number. 50s Studebakers are a prime example where you run into paperwork that no longer matches the car due to the engine having been changed. I had a 54 that had been registered with the engine and now had a Chevy in it. The factory museum still had the build card so I was able to show DMV and get it re assigned the body number on the registration.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless