News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Under cowl/inside firewall color?

Started by cboss70, May 01, 2018, 04:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roddster

Actually Chris, it's too late for my 67 unless I take it all apart...again.  But, not too late for my Lil' Red tribute.  So, I'll be looking for some paint close to "bare sheet metal" and spray away under the dash area. 
   But, if I was starting fresh, seems clear coat (dull) would do the trick.

J_Speegle

Quote from: roddster on May 03, 2018, 10:12:14 PM
   But, if I was starting fresh, seems clear coat (dull) would do the trick.

Be careful - check and consider, that if you just using a clear that your not applying it directly over media blasted or other wise treated metal, The base should look like fresh smooth somewhat shinny new metal you would find at the supplier. If its media blasted it will often be a flat mono-tone with a rough surface from the blasting. In a 67 there should or typically be some misting of the primers and two other colors behind and to a lessor degree above as paint passed (primer and dash) through the glove box opening and the gauge bezel hole

Don't want to go through all this work only to have a different detail catch the judges or others eyes. ;)

To illustrate for a 67 and likely a 68 also here is an example. This may help allot since it didn't receive allot of body color inside the car, not much if any red oxide on the forward floor, firewall or upward so we get a look at what a well preserved bard steel would look with a light misting of colors may have looked like on yours and other cars built at the same plant.

Take not of the one picture were the black engine compartment ran into the interior and onto the firewall  inner surface for a contrast between the black and the rest of the underdash surface. Other black painted brackets provide a contrast also for out purposes

Do have more examples with more body and other paint on these surfaces just wanted to share this one since the surfaces are so lightly touched and the vast majority of surfaces have not even started to show any surface rust in over 50 years. Though a few brackets have. To understand the results the exterior of this specific car was white so you can see on the lower areas that misting of exterior paint that would have traveled  from the painter applying paint to the door openings, window openings and the general over all paint process that filled the air

Hope this helps others

Just took these the other day and I was surprise at even how little dust and stuff was under there without any cleaning done ever I believe
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge