Author Topic: Correct Paint Color Undercarriage 1969 Shelby  (Read 4220 times)

Frankdenver

• View Profile
Correct Paint Color Undercarriage 1969 Shelby
« on: November 19, 2021, 07:44:14 AM »
What is the correct paint color of undercarriage of 1969 Shelby GT350? Is it same as 69 Mach I or is it the red primer finish? Thanks.

Special Ed

• View Profile
Re: Correct Paint Color Undercarriage 1969 Shelby
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 08:32:16 AM »
Depends on when car was built early cars were orange primer then batch paint started showing up. Just look in transmission tunnel area as thats the best area that should still be original paint yet.

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 10:06:45 AM »
The 69 Claude DuBoius> ? sp, 69 gt 350 Conv, had a med grey primer color.
Sold it to C Brown, I do not know if Chris changed the under body color or not.
That is the color that I found in many area's of the car.
It was the Maroon car Ed.
Respectfully,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 10:16:36 AM »
What is the correct paint color of undercarriage of 1969 Shelby GT350? Is it same as 69 Mach I or is it the red primer finish? Thanks.
My GT350 vert May 6th build: Notice clogged sprayer and dark charcoal is the mix that came out on my car that day.

Second-4th  pic April Boss 429 original paint survivor. Seraphim's car, Ed.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 11:20:05 AM »
My 69 gt500 (602) was built in January, it was slop gray.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 12:12:13 PM »
That is the color guys.
Slop grey>> that is a good description>> ha
I wonder if the color of the car determined the color of the primer sealer?
The maroon car >> should have had red oxide if that was the case ?
John
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 02:35:47 PM »

Depends on when your car was started at the plant.

Best place to figure this out is your cars original finishes so look unless you or someone else has already removed the original paint in this restoration or another. There were a number of documented periods through the year where the plant reverted to a red oxide epoxy primer similar to what was used from the firewall forward on the front frame rails and firewall forward section

Now lacking any original evidence then you should look to other cars finished the same week or day as your car - identified through a Marti report

This article in this thread may help and provide some additional information also

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=929.msg6979#msg6979

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Frankdenver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 06:02:02 PM »
Thank you for all the replies. My car was repainted before I purchased it. It has an order date of 3/12/69, and release date of 4/2/69. Unit number 481925, Hertz car. Appreciate any additional information.

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 06:05:44 PM »
Jeff,
The 69 Vert Chris bought from me was sent to Claude >> in Belgium>> Carrolls importer.
I brought it back to Georgia port in US.
it was like # 750 or maybe # 1450 ? both are just guesses, registry will show though.
One thing that was real weird, it had a serial number stamp on back of the head, not block, and was actually 2 numbers off on last digit, go figure.
It was the born with engine.

All is to the best of my recollection. Decades ago !!!
John

Dan353

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 07:48:52 PM »
My 69 GT350 was built January 6 1969.  It has the gray paint on the underside

Dan 

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 09:04:18 PM »

Dan can you describe the gray? Have a few others a week or so from your date and wanted to compare
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 12:13:23 AM »

Dan can you describe the gray? Have a few others a week or so from your date and wanted to compare

It was all the leftover paint mixed together which came out various shades of gray. My car was unrestored when I bought it and the undercarriage was graphite gray, I’ve seen lighter and darker when I was doing research.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 12:26:03 AM »
It was all the leftover paint mixed together which came out various shades of gray. My car was unrestored when I bought it and the undercarriage was graphite gray, I’ve seen lighter and darker when I was doing research.

Understand and thanks for trying to help. Have a fair amount of pictures and floor samples cut from floors all with (well most) with VINs. Was interested in what the Dan found on his specific car since we find trends and patterns in the findings once graphed and compared.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 12:53:44 AM »
Fixed the link in the other thread I posted a link to above. Not sure what happened byt works now

Thank you for all the replies. My car was repainted before I purchased it. It has an order date of 3/12/69, and release date of 4/2/69. Unit number 481925, Hertz car. Appreciate any additional information.

Thanks that really helps narrow it down and your in luck since I have records of another 69 GT350 Hertz big suspension completed on the same day.

On that example we found the typical red oxide epoxy (not the flat Rustoleum look) applied on the bottom of the front frame rails from the firewall forward. From approx the firewall rearward a medium dark gray with a blue tint to it. Have other examples built a few days later where we find a change in the color and look but don't want to get off or focus - your car.

For that car we reproduced the color using a early 2000's VW exterior color with some blue added.  Was really happy with the color and look

From a picture I already had in storage on line where are just some of the examples of the blueish tinted grays we find on 69 Dearborn built cars. These are only single examples and the finished could differ a bit based on what the majority of exterior colors they used the day or days before.

Now the color you see on your monitor is likely different from what the color was originally due to digital camera settings, monitor settings and so on but it might give you a general idea. Closest for comparison to what we found is in the lower left corner below

Dan353

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2021, 05:28:43 AM »
Jeff,  I will try to post a picture of the paint this coming week I have a spot that the where the factory sealer came off by the threaded plate for the seat belt harness

Dan