News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

How easy is it to convert a race 65 GT350 back to stock trim?

Started by Bob Gaines, May 01, 2018, 09:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NC TRACKRAT

5S071, 6S1467

Bob Gaines

Quote from: camp upshur on May 02, 2018, 01:59:12 PM
still water can run deep....
IMHO this is a most impressive and outstanding 1965 GT-350. I wish the seller good luck.
This example, which has been raced and aptly represented the race-car bonafides of the 65s for many many years brings to light a lot of things which need to be refreshed - lest they be forgotten:
https://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/cardetail.php?reqcardir=SH-350GT-5S075;

-I agree 100% w the posting of "SFM5S000". This car could easily and cheaply be reconfigured to street trim. In concurrence, it would not necessarily be 'concours 1965'. But a concours 1965 GT 350 is a car w significant shortcomings and easily embarrassed by its' peers. This has all but been forgotten as 65 GT-350s have largely disappeared from common ownership and street/track usage;

-we have all been meaconed by the very real, although dissociated, auction/private-sale collectors laying down 500 (large) for a '65 to round out their collections. But what are they buying? Dare I say that many of these auction queens are masterfully restored old floozies reborn as new found virgins... (not necessarily a bad thing);

- I herein posit that the halcyon days for the 1965 GT-350s were in 1968-1980~ range when 65s, in various states of sensible modification, took the attack as club racers, autocrossers (remember?), open trackers, SCCA B prod, doorbangers, run-whatcha-brung, etc.

Although, yes, the R ran at Green Valley etc and, yes, Jerry Titus, Donahue etc al were truly outstanding, the vaunted reputation of the 1965 GT-350 as a serious performance car was demonstrated in 'club racing' 1968-1980.  These were great days for the 65 GT-350s, probably the most aggressive widespread usage, most wrenched by their (then) enthusiast owner-drivers. Secret: (lightweight) shhhh
A (then) 'set up' 65 GT-350 could indeed stick it to a '68 302 Camaro or B302, but it wasn't easy.  THAT is what this instant sale represents (warts and all). It is this where the 1965 GT-350 proved its' worth;
-most of the guys who aggressively raced and established the enduring reputation of the 65 GT-350s have passed and the naive 'market' now wants a 'hanger car' as a collection trophy. But hey? that's  where we're at I guess....can't argue w the money!
- BTW, these were all modded 'S' model 65s, as above, (by the mid 70s most R models were junk heaps subject to re-body). '427' is also correct about these period 'racer' cars not at the level of today's Cobra Automotive prepped cars- which are masterful. But the CA level cars are creations of the twenty-first century! There was NEVER anything of the sort when 65s established their enduring reputation.

Dare I say:
Why would anyone want a 3939S fuel pump? functionally worthless
or a stock fan? laughable
or a G2 radiator? first to be vaulted into the dumpster....
289 heads? run for your life
external balance? give up now

These things are all sacrosanct in our 'collector-pseudo concours world' now, and the mere mention is unspeakable, with the inference that this degrades the car. wow.
It is in these areas  that a car such as 5S075, can so accurately portray a 1965 GT-350, and the real history of the 1965 GT-350s at their best, but I agree that is not the 'market' today. By gosh there may even be a chance that a car such as this may not have the 'correct' date coded wind-wing!
Back to lurking.

Steve
SFM5S339
First off I think I understand your point of view. I did not mean to kick your dog . You might reread my post as I didn't make fun of or degrade the race car configuration like you did of stock configuration. My comments had to do with the sellers comment "easily be converted for street use"  It appeared the seller was trying to represent the car as everything to everyone with that comment. As if saying if you don't want a race car you can have a street car. "easily" in this context is a relative term . The same goes for how "street use" in the commonly accepted context is relative too ;) . How those terms could be interpreted by different people seemed funny to me . Apparently not to you.  Most reasonable people reading a ad like that would not consider a 65 with GT 1 flairs lowered with a race engine ,maybe racing clutch,race front and rear springs etc. a viable street driver even after hooking up street exhaust to muffle the sound. That is what I envision a respectable car placing 2nd in the Shelby race at Monterey. I may be mistaken but that was my first thought. It is reasonable to conclude it was a very respectable purpose build race ride given the competitive race it took second in. With all that said it is debatable whether most collector car buyers would find it easy to convert it to what most consider "street use" or not. Again the reason for the chuckle . My chuckle does not have anything to do which is better just the contradiction of how the terms can be interpreted. I do not know why anyone with a lick of collector car sense would want to pay 450K in today's market and change a car with documented period race history to "street use" easy or not. But again that is just me . I am fortunate enough to have built ,maintain and currently a care taker for race model GT350's and street model GT350's . That thought would not cross my mind for a significant car. I know what it takes to make one into the other and vice versa. I respect your point view but you could get that point across in a respectful way without all of the stock correct car part sarcasm .   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

The good news is we can all play in this sand box together... There is very strong beliefs here for both sides of the line- Performance or correct paint daubs etc. Were things get funny is these cars were intended to be run hard and put away wet, as most were. Then came the collectability thing where people are afraid to drive their cars at all, let alone enjoy them as they were intended. I enjoy someone's car in the corner of their shop or museum but not nearly as much as driving them with as much gusto as they did in the 60s but much more today! ;D The greatest arguments seem to be what direction to take a car, if someone bought that car a few years back paid the 250k cut off the quarters put in a mild HP 289 etc they would be very proud of their purchase and the end result for their wallet. Bob you are the man when it comes to info on bringing these cars back as they were built I am so grateful for the assist over the years on my projects. Vintage race Shelby products we differ greatly. To those that can locate one of these very special cars get it and enjoy it any way that puts a smile on your face! ;)

J_Speegle

Quote from: 427heaven on May 02, 2018, 09:41:35 PM
The good news is we can all play in this sand box together... There is very strong beliefs here for both sides of the line- Performance or correct paint daubs etc. Were things get funny is these cars were intended to be run hard and put away wet, as most were............

Respectfully not sure if we all agree even on this point. The cars were built to make someone money. They didn't care what the new owner did with their new street car. The sales and dollars meant that others could go play, get funding, pay the bills so they could do what they wanted.  I think the statement cars are designed to be used is more factual but after all these years who care. Its history and each story and car is different and there is room for all until they take our toys away
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

427heaven

Hello Jeff hope all is well- What I meant by driven as intended was, these were race cars of their time sold to be driven on the streets and all performance cars have that singular purpose in mind, drive it fast. Other wise we could be discussing how are 6 bangers with slush box transmissions are getting great economy with the gas prices these days. I think everyone's first thought with these cars is its performance capability otherwise they may be looking for vintage pintos or vega-s. Hope to see you in Nor Cal

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427heaven on May 02, 2018, 09:41:35 PM
The good news is we can all play in this sand box together... There is very strong beliefs here for both sides of the line- Performance or correct paint daubs etc. Were things get funny is these cars were intended to be run hard and put away wet, as most were. Then came the collectability thing where people are afraid to drive their cars at all, let alone enjoy them as they were intended. I enjoy someone's car in the corner of their shop or museum but not nearly as much as driving them with as much gusto as they did in the 60s but much more today! ;D The greatest arguments seem to be what direction to take a car, if someone bought that car a few years back paid the 250k cut off the quarters put in a mild HP 289 etc they would be very proud of their purchase and the end result for their wallet. Bob you are the man when it comes to info on bringing these cars back as they were built I am so grateful for the assist over the years on my projects. Vintage race Shelby products we differ greatly. To those that can locate one of these very special cars get it and enjoy it any way that puts a smile on your face! ;)
Respectfully I don't see were you are getting any of that from my posts? I wasn't talking about paint daubs or direction to take a car let alone the one being discussed. I have expressed a number of times now that what I thought was funny, strange etc. was the terminology of "easily be converted for street use" and how the terms are relative to different perceptions of the situation. I am talking about THIS CAR IN PARTIVCULAR. My post was not meant or intended to be negative commentary on vintage race or performance personalize cars in general. Maybe you would want to PM me explaining what you mean about "Vintage race Shelby products we differ greatly" because I am a student of those as well as stock configuration and I don't recall being at odds with you on vintage race Shelby products in any of the many questions that I was happy to help answer for you in the past on your car. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s2020

FFS, this is going round in circles , Bob you must be the most thin skinned bloke i have seen. 427 went out of his way to get his opinion across and not upset your delicate demeanour . Mate, get over your self, you are a small fish in a big pond. Since the rebirth of Forum 2.0 you would have to be the most antagonistic one here.JMHO.

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

After reading this thread I have one burning question;

Why do you guys hate paragraphs? 

I mean, for the love of God.   ::)

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Quote from: Shelby73 on May 04, 2018, 10:28:19 PM
Maybe it's because we didn't learn anything in school we were to busy studying cars. I've never made a penny typing on this laptop but I've got 12 Shelby's and a real Cobra plus 35 other cars from studying cars. If you want perfect sentences and paragraphs you may want to hang around a site for English teachers.

BFD, is that an excuse? Would you want to listen to someone mumbling or speaking clearly?

BTW, Who said anything about perfection?

Shelby73

I took my post down since it was painful for 2112 to read, we are now getting graded on our writing.
67 Cobra CSX3251  65 K-code Conv
65 5S073.               65 A-code fastback
66 6S304.                67 390 GTA Conv.
66 Hertz 6S1863.      67 Playboy Coupe
68 KR Conv. 2529.     70 Mach1
07 Shelby Hertz Conv. 69 Z/28
66 MK1A Tiger.            66 Vette coupe
13 GT500                   
69 Boss 429

Quote from: Shelby73 on May 05, 2018, 08:33:50 AM
I took my post down since it was painful for 2112 to read, we are now getting graded on our writing.

Never said a word about grading anything. It is one issue, run-on paragraphs. Message board equivalent of mumbling.

Shelby73

Get over it 2112 I don't know where you live but next time you come through N.C  stop in and I'll show you some cars and we'll have a drink, remember we are all friends just be nice.
67 Cobra CSX3251  65 K-code Conv
65 5S073.               65 A-code fastback
66 6S304.                67 390 GTA Conv.
66 Hertz 6S1863.      67 Playboy Coupe
68 KR Conv. 2529.     70 Mach1
07 Shelby Hertz Conv. 69 Z/28
66 MK1A Tiger.            66 Vette coupe
13 GT500                   
69 Boss 429

camp upshur

Bob Gaines> no offense intended. You are very generous to field so many questions which help many board participants.
Here, just enjoying a spirited discussion, so much of which was lost with what happened.
Still can't believe it.