News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Autolite battery cover

Started by Odenvy, November 20, 2021, 01:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odenvy

Hi guys. I bought a battery repro from year one and it died right away. Some guy named Jims battery in Ohio made it and apparently has very bad reviews. It was advertised as a turbo battery but was not. In either case, havent been able to drive my car since it has been dead every week even on the charger. I finally got an Interstate 24f but hate the way it looks. Can someone tell me who makes the best looking/fitting cover? I see a few, caps glued on, caps off, not sure and am guessing they are all cheap anyway. Just don't want to waist any more money and it seams everyone makes cheap crap for these cars. Cobranda sells junk and so does everyone else. Funny how the car could be worth 300 and the parts are all garbage. Does anyone make high end stuff anymore?
3:16

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Odenvy on November 20, 2021, 01:08:49 PM
Hi guys. I bought a battery repro from year one and it died right away. Some guy named Jims battery in Ohio made it and apparently has very bad reviews. It was advertised as a turbo battery but was not. In either case, havent been able to drive my car since it has been dead every week even on the charger. I finally got an Interstate 24f but hate the way it looks. Can someone tell me who makes the best looking/fitting cover? I see a few, caps glued on, caps off, not sure and am guessing they are all cheap anyway. Just don't want to waist any more money and it seams everyone makes cheap crap for these cars. Cobranda sells junk and so does everyone else. Funny how the car could be worth 300 and the parts are all garbage. Does anyone make high end stuff anymore?
Sorry no good news . The covers are all made about the same. The ones made to look like the 65-67 yellow cap batteries look extra cheesy IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Odenvy on November 20, 2021, 01:08:49 PM
............................ Can someone tell me who makes the best looking/fitting cover?..................

Firstly no one makes a reproduction battery or even a cover that looks like the original battery or top. Never has. If your ok with the later version in a topper don't think there is more than one or two companies that currently make these so now much or any choice to be made choice in an off the shelf version

Using the search you can find a number of discussions that might help

One such is/was

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=15729.msg128531#msg128531
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

67 GT350

I suggest, either getting a battery that is black and looks OK and not think about it. OR get a black one with the correct posts, position, size, and put a topper on it, and not worry about it. It is just the way it is. If it starts the car, none of these people will care, (maybe some in the SAAC community). All my cars have toppers and when I go to my garage and look at my cars, they still please me.
Enjoy!
RARE  Signature Delete

oldcanuck

I got my 'Autolite' red top HD topper from Maryland Mustang and have been satisfied with it.

The only time my car has been judged at a local Ford show, the judge commented on my cool battery, and was more worried about counting the bugs in my radiator. A quarter point for each bug is highway robbery !
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

roddster

So cut the bottom out of the dead battery and fit it over a new battery. Do a search for the how-to.

Odenvy

Yes. I thought of this. I have a large shop actually. I measured it up against every battery and none fit. Thats probably why this one is dead. Whatever fool thought of making this repop made it the exact same size as the called for 24F. No room to spare.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Odenvy on November 21, 2021, 01:01:50 PM
Yes. I thought of this. I have a large shop actually. I measured it up against every battery and none fit. Thats probably why this one is dead. Whatever fool thought of making this repop made it the exact same size as the called for 24F. No room to spare.
I am not sure but you are apparently being sarcastic when you say "Whatever fool thought of making this repop made it the exact same size as the called for 24F" given the point of a repro IS too make it the exact same size as the the original. There are batteries that will fit inside the group 24 but unfortunately it has been my experience that the ones that fit barely have enough power to turn over a small block if it is in well tune condition. Heaven help you if you have to crank for extended times like if it is flooded or if in a big block car. The later cars that used a 27 F (69/70) have more room for a bigger battery inside the cut out case.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Odenvy

Correct. I was being sarcastic since they are inly putting a golf cart battery inside. Its not a real battery so why not make it a hair bigger so the correct one could sit inside. Seems only sane to think a GT500 needs a larger cca than a golf cart. Some changes are 'acceptable' in the real world as I bought it to enjoy. What good is it if it wont start when I command! But I still like to look under the hood and feel like I am back in time. Seems the battery stands out like a sore thumb.

Bob Gaines

We can only hope that some aftermarket company will rise to the challenge and fill the need for a decent replica battery.There is a large Market out there that needs them.

67 GT350

OK let me be sarcastic now:
Who would pay over 300 for a battery knowing that they will not last???? AND Who pays 300K for a Shelby?
OK, yes a 65 GT350 but I do not know any other in 2020 that would pay that much for them....There are tons of "asking" prices near that range, and they usually are being relisted many, many, many, ZZZZZ, many times.
Buy the topper and be happy....
There was my sarcasm for the day.
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 21, 2021, 04:38:05 PM
Who would pay over 300 for a battery knowing that they will not last???? AND Who pays 300K for a Shelby?
OK, yes a 65 GT350 but I do not know any other in 2020 that would pay that much for them....There are tons of "asking" prices near that range, and they usually are being relisted many, many, many, ZZZZZ, many times.
FYI 300K for a 65 GT350 is more in the needing restoration category not for a restored car.

67 GT350

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 21, 2021, 04:44:10 PM
FYI 300K for a 65 GT350 is more in the needing restoration category not for a restored car.
300K and plus. 300 was the figure that was used. My point was there are not many over that. And, yes there are a few that go there, but very rare.
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 21, 2021, 05:01:42 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 21, 2021, 04:44:10 PM
300K and plus. 300 was the figure that was used. My point was there are not many over that. And, yes there are a few that go there, but very rare.
OK not to belabor the point I am glad to see you amending your previous statement to make it more clear. People wanting and trying to buy a 65 GT350 were thinking with a smile and rubbing their hands together how many can I buy at that 300 price?.

Rickmustang

I'll take however many running and driving  at $300k please. Battery Central Mall sells both 24 and 27 F batteries. Battery within a battery. I've had decent luck with them.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT