News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Seeking Opinion of SAAC Members about Shelby Tributes/Replicas

Started by DRUG_NERD, May 03, 2018, 02:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRUG_NERD

In this day and again with 65-70 Shelbys either in collections or rotting away more replicas/tributes are really the only available to the most seeking to own one.  What kind of vintage car dollar value would replicas possess assuming it was replicated to Shelby specs and/or used either OEM Ford parts or OEM Shelby parts for that year?

Example 1968 Ford 'C' code convertible replicated to a GT350 with 302 drivetrain with Paxton Supercharger, Shelby badging, taillights, quarter panels scoops, etc. Clearly 1968 Ford Mustang book shouldn't apply since by appearance its a GT350 but VIN says other wise.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for the comments.

chris NOS

It doesn't matter if the mustang c code "by appearance its  a Shelby  GT350", or a Ferrari 330  ;), it was and it will always be a mustang code C .
Now , some people  are ready to invest a lot of money in Promod cars , (éléonore ....), so price of your exemple will depends on how much somebody will want to spend to get this particular car ...

vtgt500

Are you buying or selling?

The automotive hobby is very individualistic with features and workmanship reflective of owner's values and skill set.  A clone/tribute/replica has no more value than a base vehicle, often less.  One thing quickly learned in the hobby, any custom feature added has no resale value over the OEM  configuration.  Someone with a '68 convertible would be money ahead to keep it original.  There are some minor upgrades that improve reliability and are not a liability to value.  Generally those are limited to, radial tires, halogen head lights, modern gas shocks, stainless exhaust and brake lines, serviceable ball joints and tie rod ends.  Honestly, I'm amazed what people will pay for a '68 Shelby  considering it's only a production line Mustang with cosmetic trim parts.

A-Snake

If you are thinking of building a replica, there are plenty of reproduction parts to use. Don't waste original or NOS rare parts. Those should be saved for real Shelbys.  8)

shlby66

Quote from: A-Snake on May 03, 2018, 08:25:55 AM
If you are thinking of building a replica, there are plenty of reproduction parts to use. Don't waste original or NOS rare parts. Those should be saved for real Shelbys.  8)

+1 Absolutely!!!!

Coralsnake

Well, since you asked....your original statements are flawed in my opinion....

Putting a Tom Brady jersey on doesnt make you a football player, even if its a real NFL jersey. A real Shelby is assigned a number by Shelby, during the original years of production. Period. So, no your example is not a GT350.

Everything else is pretend land.

To say cars are either "in collections or rotting way" is factually inaccurate. There are dozens of cars for sale everyday and hundreds every year. The appeal of a real Shelby is its rarity. In 1968, one of every 72 Mustangs was a Shelby. (1%)

Determing the value of a fake is up to the buyer. More than a few, I have seen have had very good prices. Honestly, I would rather have a ratty, real car than a perfect movie car recreation. If I were estimating the value of your example, I would take the price of the parts divide by two (they are used parts) and add that to the value of the Mustang. I dont think adding Shelby parts, real or reproduction, gives a Mustang some magical boost.

Without seeng a car, its very difficult to determine a price. Very few of these clones use oem parts.

Just to clarify, you can do what you want with your car. I do find it amusing so many of these owners get to "I would never pass it off as an original" in their rationalizations. Hmmm, is that why your clone has a Shelby tag?

sg66

Recent auctions have seen base cars with modern interior, suspension and drive lines sell for good money and I believe far more than any clone/fake/tribute. That applies across all brands and therefore a better build investment IMHO.

Chris Thauberger

I'm just going to say it...This post has all the familiar traits of a TROLL

Registered today at 1:00:33.   First post at 1:15:53.

The question about a torrid(emotional) subject meant to evoke an argument.

Classic troll post.

Of course this is just my opinion... ;)
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Coralsnake

SFM5S000

Answering the OP's title question of an opinion. I would say the only issue I have with replicas, clones or tributes is when one attempts to sell it and pass it off as an original/genuine car to an unaware buyer. This applies to not only Shelbys. Try Z28 Cameros, Porsche 356's, Ferrari Daytona convertibles, certain corvettes etc.

Replicas, clones and tributes have their place for numerous reasons. When it comes time to part with or sell the car, it's value depends on what the buyer is willing to pay for it. Obviously that price would never exceed the price of an original/genuine car. Just don't try to sell it as an original car. This is my opinion.

Cheers,
~Earl J

gt350hr

Replicas , tributes , clones , whatever you want to call them are ALL compromises compared to the REAL THING.  Some people are comfortable with replica stuff . A '65 or 66 hardtop , with GT350 stripes is not a replica or clone of ANYTHING. I am not against customizing a Mustang any way you want. That is a great idea . Call it what it is , not what you fantasize it is because it isn't no matter how many "correct" parts you throw on it. Don't forget to do the "Shelby drop" to the front end while you're at it  , that is KEY to the whole process.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

tesgt350

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on May 03, 2018, 10:27:33 AM
I'm just going to say it...This post has all the familiar traits of a TROLL

Registered today at 1:00:33.   First post at 1:15:53.

The question about a torrid(emotional) subject meant to evoke an argument.

Classic troll post.

Of course this is just my opinion... ;)

OR, he is being Honest and may own one and testing the waters so he asked the question to see if he would get a rash of shit from people and should move on or be welcomed.