News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Seeking Opinion of SAAC Members about Shelby Tributes/Replicas

Started by DRUG_NERD, May 03, 2018, 02:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350hr

Plenty of room for discussion on Team Shelby Maybe they will give him the answer he's looking for LOL
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Quote from: tesgt350 on May 03, 2018, 12:34:07 PM
Quote from: Chris Thauberger on May 03, 2018, 10:27:33 AM
I'm just going to say it...This post has all the familiar traits of a TROLL

Registered today at 1:00:33.   First post at 1:15:53.

The question about a torrid(emotional) subject meant to evoke an argument.

Classic troll post.

Of course this is just my opinion... ;)

OR, he is being Honest and may own one and testing the waters so he asked the question to see if he would get a rash of shit from people and should move on or be welcomed.

+1

zen

Quote from: Coralsnake on May 03, 2018, 10:11:53 AM
Well, since you asked....your original statements are flawed in my opinion....

Putting a Tom Brady jersey on doesnt make you a football player, even if its a real NFL jersey. A real Shelby is assigned a number by Shelby, during the original years of production. Period. So, no your example is not a GT350.

Everything else is pretend land.

To say cars are either "in collections or rotting way" is factually inaccurate. There are dozens of cars for sale everyday and hundreds every year. The appeal of a real Shelby is its rarity. In 1968, one of every 72 Mustangs was a Shelby. (1%)

Determing the value of a fake is up to the buyer. More than a few, I have seen have had very good prices. Honestly, I would rather have a ratty, real car than a perfect movie car recreation. If I were estimating the value of your example, I would take the price of the parts divide by two (they are used parts) and add that to the value of the Mustang. I dont think adding Shelby parts, real or reproduction, gives a Mustang some magical boost.

Without seeng a car, its very difficult to determine a price. Very few of these clones use oem parts.

Just to clarify, you can do what you want with your car. I do find it amusing so many of these owners get to "I would never pass it off as an original" in their rationalizations. Hmmm, is that why your clone has a Shelby tag?

To echo Coralsnake's comments, they are not all in collections and rotting. Buy a real one dude. It took me the better part of a year to find the right car but they are out there and with Coraksnake's help I found one. #3255 is currently getting some TLC from him as her birthday present which is coming up on 5/20. Can't wait to get her back and celebrate.

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Chris Thauberger

... and were off

Now this is starting to feel like the old forum...

8)
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

tesgt350

Quote from: gt350hr on May 03, 2018, 12:44:11 PM
   Plenty of room for discussion on Team Shelby Maybe they will give him the answer he's looking for LOL

Sounds like you're telling him to "MOVE ON".

gt350hr

Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

roddster

How about a "I don't know" / "I'll find out answer"?   I've owned my real 67 GT 350 since 1971.  I grin ear to ear every time I drive it.  And, I'm also building a tribute to Lil' Red, the 67 GT 500 coupe.  Not looking to build it and sell.  Looking just to entertain myself. 
  Anyone notice the positive comments of the Lil' Red clone that was at SAAC 42?  Seems we all liked it.
    And yeah, slapping GT 350 stripes on any 65 fastback is a bit too much.  Or anything close toward that Elanor car....

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: gt350hr on May 03, 2018, 11:46:48 AM...ALL compromises compared to the REAL THING.  ... Don't forget to do the "Shelby drop" to the front end while you're at it  , that is KEY to the whole process.
I have to agree with Randy. I've built more than a few early Mustangs to replicate the GT350 performance/handling and never put stripes or anything else that would make one think it was a Shelby product. The fun is in the driving not looking at it.
The question I have today is how does one view my 1998 SVT Cobra? Yeah I could call it a Cobra because Ford owned the name and decided to use it on the performance model of their Mustang - but does it detract from the early 2 seat cars? When SVT developed what would become the GT500 they struck upon a marketing plan to call it GT500 and hired CS as a pitchman (for 12 million+). How are those viewed? CS had no involvement while the car was being developed and was only a marketing tool much like for the Eleanor cars.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Chris Thauberger

I view your 1998 SVT Cobra the same way I view my 1968 Shelby Cobra G.T.500. That was the name given to it.

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Everything has its place...Fortunately for me my garage is the place for a real 67 gt500....Booyah!!! 8)

SFM6S087

Quote from: DRUG_NERD on May 03, 2018, 02:15:53 AM
In this day and again with 65-70 Shelbys either in collections or rotting away more replicas/tributes are really the only available to the most seeking to own one.  What kind of vintage car dollar value would replicas possess assuming it was replicated to Shelby specs and/or used either OEM Ford parts or OEM Shelby parts for that year?

Example 1968 Ford 'C' code convertible replicated to a GT350 with 302 drivetrain with Paxton Supercharger, Shelby badging, taillights, quarter panels scoops, etc. Clearly 1968 Ford Mustang book shouldn't apply since by appearance its a GT350 but VIN says other wise.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for the comments.

To answer the original question. I would GUESS that a Mustang modified to look like a Shelby might bring a 10% to 20% premium over the same car without those mods – IF the workmanship is good. If the workmanship is shoddy then those modifications would probably devalue the car.

Steve