Author Topic: The Shelby TV series? Any new news or is this ptoject dead? This story from 2017  (Read 1612 times)

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
from a site called Ford Authority

Peter Dinklage, Channing Tatum To Produce 10-Part Drama About The 1960s Ford, Ferrari Racing Rivalry
By Aaron Brzozowski

October 23, 2017 11:17 am

SPONSORED

Actor Peter Dinklage, who portrays Tyrion Lannister on the popular HBO series Game of Thrones, will join with actor Channing Tatum (Magic Mike, 21 Jump Street) to produce a 10-part dramatic series about Ford’s bitter motorsport feud with Ferrari during the 1960s. The forthcoming series, which is entitled “Driven”, was announced by IM Global Television at the annual Mipcom trade show in Cannes, France, Malay Mail Online reports.

The subject is a story that we motoring enthusiasts know all too well. Henry Ford II, rebuffed by Enzo Ferrari during the advanced stages of a proposed buyout deal in 1963, launched a program to humiliate Ferrari where it mattered most: the racetrack. Ford’s sights set on the legendary 24 Hours of Le Mans endurance race, the program spawned the Ford GT40 – a sleek, low-slung sportscar with a mid-mounted V8 engine, based on a chassis from Lola Cars.

Initially unsuccessful in the FIA World Sportscar Championship, the Ford GT40 program was eventually turned over to Carroll Shelby, which led to the GT40 Mk II – the car that would make history. In 1966, with Henry Ford II in attendance, the Mk II finally beat Ferrari to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans, claiming all three spots on the podium for good measure. The Ford GT40 would go on to win the race each of the following three years, as well.

According to Malay Mail Online, Zak Schwartz (Human Target, Covert Affairs) will write the Driven series. It’s unknown whether Peter Dinklage or Channing Tatum will appear on-screen during the 10-part drama.

Last year, a documentary exploring Ford’s Le Mans rivalry with Ferrari entitled “The 24 Hour War” was released, followed this year by The Return –
a documentary about Ford’s return to the renowned endurance race in 2016, fifty years after its first win there. The period in motorsport history was the subject of A.J. Baime’s 2009 book Go Like Hell.

68countrysedan

• View Profile
Great. Another potential video production on Ford racing produced by a group of Hollywood types who know nothing about the subject. I wonder if screen writer Mr. Schwartz will invest any time in research by reading Ford: The Dust and the Glory; Shelby GT40; GT40, besides the titles mentioned. I also wonder if producers would bother to employ any serious technical consultants.

Described as a "dramatic series," I ponder what "creative" character elements will be injected. Might they might include a scene where HFII sexually harrasses his secretary? Or Carroll Shelby bribes a Ferrari driver to sandbag his lap times?

No doubt CGI will be utilized, but will they film the car-to-car shots on a track that looks nothing like LeMans?

Since the dateline was 2017, I presume it didn't get made. But in Hollywood, films have been know to rise out of tortured development hell. Maybe it's not dead yet.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Almost like the real story, one major effort to win but loses to a rival.  Look at the time line that  the big studios went ahead with "Ford v Ferrari" and released a full length Hollywood production.  The big screen film pretty well negates a TV series story needing sponsors and producers at this point.   8)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Brits? Who's playing Shelby? Pierce Bronsan?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Benny Hill in the HFII role? 
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
Bennys dead….RIP

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Great. Another potential video production on Ford racing produced by a group of Hollywood types who know nothing about the subject. I wonder if screen writer Mr. Schwartz will invest any time in research by reading Ford: The Dust and the Glory; Shelby GT40; GT40, besides the titles mentioned. I also wonder if producers would bother to employ any serious technical consultants.

Described as a "dramatic series," I ponder what "creative" character elements will be injected. Might they might include a scene where HFII sexually harrasses his secretary? Or Carroll Shelby bribes a Ferrari driver to sandbag his lap times?

No doubt CGI will be utilized, but will they film the car-to-car shots on a track that looks nothing like LeMans?

Since the dateline was 2017, I presume it didn't get made. But in Hollywood, films have been know to rise out of tortured development hell. Maybe it's not dead yet.
Still don't understand why some here get so bent.  It's Movie Entertainment. Facts, subjects, tech consultants, don't matter.
Watch any movie, especially high octane movies, they're so damn "far fetched", cars flipping 6-7 times (IN THE AIR,END OVER END), people jumping and turning 5-6 flips, it's ridiculous.

I don't watch any of that foolishness. Too much computer generated bull$hit.