News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

James Hetfield's car collection.

Started by deathsled, November 26, 2021, 02:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

https://youtu.be/I9J120SZT14

Of Metallica fame of course. Still in California. Simply wow! Still a dreamy State to me. Regardless of any shortcomings. The topography, the sun, the ocean, the roads, the car culture and Hollywood. Still dreamy.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

He's in NorCal an entirely different state than the south. The car stuff is still in SoCal and Hollywood is still the same sewer it's been since the mid 70s.
When you do come to SoCal plan your trip around this page - http://www.socalcarculture.com/events.html
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

67 GT350

Quote from: deathsled on November 26, 2021, 02:18:18 PM
https://youtu.be/I9J120SZT14

Of Metallica fame of course. Still in California. Simply wow! Still a dreamy State to me. Regardless of any shortcomings. The topography, the sun, the ocean, the roads, the car culture and Hollywood. Still dreamy.

Yes Cali is very dreamy in a Nightmarish way. It boggles my mind that the car culture was even there in the first place with all the regulation. Plus if you were into souping up a car, then how did you do it with emissions? (they did have nice year round driving, maybe that?) California was so cool until?
RARE  Signature Delete

deathsled

Yes, Cali sure has its issues and I have sometimes an unrealistic view of that state. But when I was there I found it exciting. Like a different country. And thanks for the link 98 svt. Good to know as I plan to get out there again.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 26, 2021, 05:36:34 PMIt boggles my mind that the car culture was even there in the first place with all the regulation. Plus if you were into souping up a car, then how did you do it with emissions? (they did have nice year round driving, maybe that?) California was so cool until?
There were no regulations way back when. The fed ones came in for the entire country at the same time. CA came up with a NOX device that you had to install but after you put the decal on the windshield you took it off. NV is actually worse on inspections than CA. There you need an annual (CA is bi-annual) on any car 1968 or newer (CA is 1976). It is a misconception that 1975 and older cars are smog exempt. They are exempt from testing but if some cop wanted to push it when you smart mouthed him he could give you a ticket for removed/modified smog equipment and you would have to reinstall it and get it tested. A lot of what CA got was smog pumps and evap recovery stuff that really didn't effect performance. Some later 460s got a retarded cam but I think that was everywhere not just Calif.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

^^+1. 

Remember the sticker the came with the NOX device that read something like "Notice: This vehicle must not be operated over 60 mph or engine damage may occur."   

Seriously. 

But, since the speed limit was 55, who needed to go over 60 anyway?    Just more gov't scare tactics.   

IIRC: The NOX device retarded timing under certain vacuum conditions.  Did it completely bypass vacuum advance too?  I can't recall.  My car only had it on there long enough to make it home from the smog check. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model