Author Topic: VIN with a missing number  (Read 3355 times)

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: VIN with a missing number
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2021, 01:04:46 PM »
@1109RWHP

Ok, not to be long winded but:

Stolen vehicle records in NCIC (FBI national records) and CLEAN (PA state records) must be validated annually by the investigating agency or they are purged.  I can't remember if there is a maximum amount of time the entry can stay in the data base even if validated.  This means it's not impossible for the vehicle to have been stolen at some point, reported and entered in the system, and there still wouldn't be a record of it anymore.

PennDot periodically purges vehicle records if title/registration isn't maintained on the vehicle.  Registration plates "go dead" in the system 3 years, I think, after last registration.  I can't remember how long the record stays in the system until completely purged.

PennDot participates in a national system called National Motor Vehicle Title Information System, but their records would come from the states and I doubt they'd go back to 1967, you'd have to check.  https://vehiclehistory.bja.ojp.gov/

If you have no title, in PA, you can apply for a duplicate (if you are the titled owner) or petition the court in the county you live in to award ownership.  You can do this without an attorney, but it's usually easier to get one.  Obviously that costs money.  I haven't done it myself, but I don't think it's too hard or too expensive.  Here is one attorney, near Harrisburg, I found online that specializes in this.  (I don't know him and can't vouch for him.  I just did a Google search) http://www.vintageautomotive.net/?tag=no-car-title-in-pa

Once you establish legal ownership, you can apply to PennDot for a title.  In this situation you may, or may not, need to apply for a modified, specially constructed, or reconstructed title, depending upon what you were going to do with the vehicle.  PennDot would determine that. 

The unreadable portion of the VIN could be a poor stamping or indicate it was altered.  I would think if all the stamped VINs were altered there would be some obvious evidence of that.  If it is altered, it will be required by law to have a state issued VIN affixed to ever be titled in PA. If it were established that the VIN was altered, the vehicle could be seized by the police until ownership could be established. 

I'd say your choices at this point are talk to a "tag agent" and start the process or speak to an attorney familiar with this sort of thing.  Bottom line is you want to make sure it is legally yours before putting any money into it. (that part I do know from personal experience  ;) )

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 02:24:37 PM by 5566 »

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2021, 01:25:55 PM »
It the vin number has no rivet holes at each end then it would not be a Shelby.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2021, 01:29:38 PM »
Just a thought or two

Is it worth the investment to purchase ten Marti reports. One for each possible iteration of the VIN. Would the visible clues on the shell possibly assist with matching the shell to a report. I.E. colour or date codes on sheetmetal?

Also, and I don’t know how you would go about it, can you get the metal scanned in some way? I am thinking I have seen people discover hidden stampings (due to damage) with some sort of scan
I was considering buying the reports for all of them. As far as I know there are no other hidden VINs , just the front aprons.
I doubt you would find 10 viable marti reports for what you are looking for. Think about it. It would mean 10 cars built with the same engine and body style as yours in a row? What are the odds? You might even find out there is only 1 car with the viable vin. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2021, 02:46:23 PM »
To remind others who choose not read from the start that in reply #1 the OP says " Long story short my brother bought a 67 fastback shell in 1987" . It is a regular Mustang shell.  It is not implied in anyway that this is/was a Shelby . It is posted in the discussion area rather then under any Shelby heading. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby