News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Front end height

Started by 67 GT350, December 06, 2021, 09:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

To me the stance does not look bad at all.  In fact it looks good.  I'd leave it for a while.  Maybe the springs will settle.  They didn't settle in my case but I believe in adopting a wait and see approach.  Just because one didn't settle, doesn't mean another will not.  There are so many variables such as the metal used in the spring, its weight and so on.  The stance on yours looks fine to me.  On mine, it looked ridiculous which really set me off to find another solution.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

deathsled

What Shelbydoug said.  Cobra Automotive.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

OldGuy

Quote from: 67 GT350 on December 07, 2021, 02:15:01 PM
OK I was not sure if new springs needed time to settle or not. Here is another angle that shows it where I think it looks higher. I also thought if I change the tire size to a slightly lower profile that might be the ticket.
So, I can somewhere find and order springs that just might lower it with no other mods?
OR
I can relocate the upper control arms and get my inch lower? (with the addition of bump and steer)

I don't think that the lower profile tires will get the desired "look" that you are after. Lower profile tires will move the nose down slightly BUT they will do nothing to visually reduce the space between the top of the tire and the lip on the fender. In my opinion, this visual effect is just as important as having the nose that is too high. As the guys have said, lowering the upper control arms will drop the nose at least 1" as well as reducing the unsightly "gap" that I eluded to.

Having said that, dropping the upper arms result in a permanent modification. This is something that only you can determine whether or not to execute.

If it were me, I would fiddle with the springs until I got the desirable "look". You know, no one said that you have to start out with NEW springs. Used springs will have already settled prior to your modifications.

Frank

CSX 4133

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 07, 2021, 03:11:52 PM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on December 07, 2021, 02:15:01 PM
OK I was not sure if new springs needed time to settle or not. Here is another angle that shows it where I think it looks higher. I also thought if I change the tire size to a slightly lower profile that might be the ticket.
So, I can somewhere find and order springs that just might lower it with no other mods?
OR
I can relocate the upper control arms and get my inch lower? (with the addition of bump and steer)

I don't have any pictures already that would show what you want to see. The car is currently up on jack stands and probably will be until the snow is gone in the spring?

I would call Cobra Automotive and explain to Scotty or Curt your issue. See what they suggest. I can't think of anyone who has been through this more within recent years and I know they have worked with spring suppliers for their own needs. That could benefit you.

FYI Scotty Hackenson is no longer with Cobra Automotive.

67 GT350

I agree taking my time, not in a hurry. Also, my car is positioned at an angle compared to my other cars, a Boss 302 and a 67 Shelby, it might be the angle that is making the car look that way to me. it handles well and feels nice on the road.
RARE  Signature Delete

98SVT - was 06GT

Lowering the control arm will drop the front almost an inch. It's more about handling than looks. I've done it to every one of the Mustang's I've owned. When I did 843 I made a drill jig. The locating pins are 17/32 so they fit snuggly in the stock holes. I drill a 1/4" hole then drill it to the 17/32 size. Here is the drill guide I made way back in 1975. It's probably done 30 cars between mine and the ones I've loaned it out for.

When Arnig came up with the drop he found 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 would give better results but it put the ball joint in a bind. 1" was settled upon as the best compromise to use stock parts.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless