News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Rare King Cobra

Started by 98SVT - was 06GT, December 15, 2021, 06:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

Less than 5000 built. Certainly rare by production car standards but would anyone "collect" one.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1978-ford-mustang-king-cobra
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

67 GT350

I though that I saw a few super rare Kings that actually had 351W in them. I would pick a Cobra II or a King over the 79 through 81 Cobras in looks aline. My friend had a 81 Cobra auto with a 231 V8....laugh laugh!
RARE  Signature Delete

68countrysedan

Be thankful Ford built the King Cobra.

Yes, it was a glowing performance ember but it helped ignite Fox Mustang performance.

Plus, the Mustang II maintained the unbroken Mustang mechanical dna.

The 302 installed sucked then, but today, with aluminum heads, efi and toss in a supercharger and a Mustang II Cobra will live up to it's image.   

TA Coupe

I just went to the Shop This morning to see the king Cobra I picked up a couple of years ago run for the 1st time in about 25 years. They replaced all the power steering system, suspension, brakes and fuel system. My wife and I looked at 1 new on the showroom floor back in the day and we bought this one cheap from a friend of hers who was the original owner. I might slap my 68 hipo heads and my Ford lettered aluminum hirise intake and a Holley to see what she will do,  or put in one of my 2x4 engines in and let her rip tater chip.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

67 GT350

+1
100 % 68countrysedan!
And 557, more like a Charlie's Angle car! LOL
RARE  Signature Delete

I was more referencing the lovely pink "accents"on that particular example of the king cobra,not necessarily the entire genre.The styling doesn't suck. With a cobra r in it or something..... 8)

jwtdvm

Dont knock them too bad--those things would run 130mph pretty easily--Had a cousin with one--gaudy to be sure but they did run pretty good.

FL SAAC

+ 1

Quote from: 68countrysedan on December 15, 2021, 10:03:32 PM
Be thankful Ford built the King Cobra.

Yes, it was a glowing performance ember but it helped ignite Fox Mustang performance.

Plus, the Mustang II maintained the unbroken Mustang mechanical dna.

The 302 installed sucked then, but today, with aluminum heads, efi and toss in a supercharger and a Mustang II Cobra will live up to it's image.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

Quote from: jwtdvm on December 16, 2021, 09:14:10 AM
Dont knock them too bad--those things would run 130mph pretty easily--Had a cousin with one--gaudy to be sure but they did run pretty good.

I don't think it was the performance potential that was/is questioned, it was just the school of goofy design that it emanated from.

People were concerned that the geeks in the design lab were taking things over.

I think that concern is still relevant considering that it can not be determined if the head of design was designated male or female at birth and how it relates that to their concepts of design?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

tesgt350

Quote from: 557 on December 15, 2021, 11:20:05 PM
I was more referencing the lovely pink "accents"on that particular example of the king cobra,not necessarily the entire genre.The styling doesn't suck. With a cobra r in it or something..... 8)

Those are actually Orange Pin Stripes.  I love the Mustang II's, especially the King Cobra but would like it better with the T-Tops.

Well,orange would certainly work better than pink with that interior IMHO...

pbf777

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on December 15, 2021, 06:20:58 PM
................ would anyone "collect" one.

I was considering buying a new Mustang Mach I back in 1976 (+/-?) to replace my '72 Mach I, but after sitting in the thing and looking it over more closely, even being tempted by the 'new' car seduction, I just ended up walking away.   :(

In my opinion, the only good thing about the King Cobra's was that when pilfering through the junk yards, and spotting one, chances were good to find a 3.55 ratio Trac-Loc 8" rear.   8)

Scott.

TA Coupe

This is a picture of one like I have including the T top but mine is not nearly as nice as this 1 yet. It only has 70 something thousand miles and I thought it was worth trying to save.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.