News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1 of 13 67R code 427 Fairlanes

Started by Greg, May 07, 2018, 02:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on May 09, 2018, 08:47:53 AM
Quote from: Greg on May 08, 2018, 05:08:31 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on May 08, 2018, 10:07:09 AM
Thanks and my favorite color combo black with a red interior. I am not well versed on the hoods of those 427 cars. Is that a factory hood?

Thanks, it is a factory hood but the original owner mounted a shelby scoop on to it.
I always thought the 67s had the fiberglass hood with that low sleek scoop at the front. Or was that 66?

You are correct, the 66's had a low profile fiberglass hood with a scoop and the 67's had a special metal hood with no scoop.  The 67's hood also had special clearance braces.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

GOAT12

The 58 or so made in 66 all had the fiberglass hood w/scoop at the front. In 67 the steel hood had the special braces underneath to clear the dual quads on the r-code, the pin on fiberglass hood was an option in 67. My understanding is the built 229 Fairlanes in 67 with the 427, split between 92 R-code and 137 W-codes.

tesgt350

Quote from: Greg on May 08, 2018, 08:18:49 AM
Quote from: tesgt350 on May 07, 2018, 02:52:13 PM
That's pretty Tame to me.
Quote from: vtgt500 on May 07, 2018, 03:43:10 PM
Yawn.  Let's hear it at twice the speed limit.

You guys need to be very, very quiet and be sure not to park your Small Blocks beside of it, as it might get hungry and EAT THEM!!!   ;D

No, I have owned 3 "R" Code Mach 1's and my 70 model was bad ass.  It must of had a Huge Cam compared to the way this Car sounds.  I think it was something like 392 Lift with a 270 Duration.  I do know it had 720HP to the wheels.

Harris Speedster

Quote from: GOAT12 on May 09, 2018, 09:44:14 AM
The 58 or so made in 66 all had the fiberglass hood w/scoop at the front. In 67 the steel hood had the special braces underneath to clear the dual quads on the r-code, the pin on fiberglass hood was an option in 67. My understanding is the built 229 Fairlanes in 67 with the 427, split between 92 R-code and 137 W-codes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
Curious, how many 67 R cars from Dearborn and Steel tubing cars were built with an automatic?
Seems that was the last of the fairlane's?
With respect,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

shelbydoug

Pretty sure that this is the cam. This is what I have in mine and it sounds just like that one.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=947&sb=2

Just about as much as you want to run on the street. Sounds like a marching band. Boom. boom, bada, bada, boom, boom.

Of course the headers are adding to it and it probably has Hooker Super Comp headers on it which kind of hang down like gorilla knuckles scraping on the ground.

No way a whimpy small block is going to sound like that. Even the cams in the MkII's and IV's are milder than that one is.

Caution should prevail. It is entirely possible that when he takes off the top of the air cleaner to make a run that a small block car COULD entirely be sucked into the induction.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Greg

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 09, 2018, 04:00:56 PM
Pretty sure that this is the cam. This is what I have in mine and it sounds just like that one.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=947&sb=2

Just about as much as you want to run on the street. Sounds like a marching band. Boom. boom, bada, bada, boom, boom.
Of course the headers are adding to it and it probably has Hooker Super Comp headers on it which kind of hang down like gorilla knuckles scraping on the ground.

No way a whimpy small block is going to sound like that. Even the cams in the MkII's and IV's are milder than that one is.

Caution should prevail. It is entirely possible that when he takes off the top of the air cleaner to make a run that a small block car COULD entirely be sucked into the induction.

Doug...Absolutely  ;D

In the Video it is running through the stock cast iron manifolds, super 40's and out the over the axle tail pipes.  I have to pull the CAM card to remember exactly what the grind was.  You definitely don't want any more Cam as this thing does sound hungry at the light  :)

shelbydoug

I'm curious. Do you have a vacuum gauge on it and know what vacuum you have at idle?

I can get it to idle at 800 but the vacuum drops to 10-11. If I keep it at about 900-950, then I can get over 12 inches.

I love the sound. Anyone who doesn't take warning from it deserves the destruction they are in store for. NOTHING launches like a big block. It will wake and scare the heck out of the dead.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Greg

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 09, 2018, 06:55:37 PM
I'm curious. Do you have a vacuum gauge on it and know what vacuum you have at idle?

I can get it to idle at 800 but the vacuum drops to 10-11. If I keep it at about 900-950, then I can get over 12 inches.

I love the sound. Anyone who doesn't take warning from it deserves the destruction they are in store for. NOTHING launches like a big block. It will wake and scare the heck out of the dead.  ;)

You are correct, 10 is the max and I have to run a vacuum pump on it for the power brakes disk brakes to work properly. 

shelbydoug

Oh...forgot about this.

The cam you are using is a 110 center and a 4 degree advance. It is intended to be used with a very low restriction exhaust system.

For one thing, that means it's designed to be used with big tube headers.

Shudder the thought of how much power you are giving away with the iron exhaust manifolds especially considering that you probably already could cut tracks in the pavement for the trollie tracks if they decided to bring them back?

I'd guess your at about 550 now and would be about 650 with the headers.  ;D

The headers alone won't give that increase to you. They will permit the cam to work at a more optimum level.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Greg

Thanks Doug, it is a monster and I totally agree on the power give away.  I haven't had much time this year to experiment on the car with go fast parts.

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Greg

LOVE IT!!  Hard to beat a Scarelane!

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!