News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Which Daytona Coupe is this and why do you think so.

Started by Richstang, January 22, 2020, 10:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

Quote from: honker on December 25, 2021, 10:10:44 PM
I'm mixed up with the images I have in my files of CSX2300 and CSX2602.

Are all the photos in the scan of the Japanese magazine the same car ?

Can some one I.D. the cars in these images for me, thanks.

Mike

Mike, those are neat photos from Japan!

According to my notes the #21 was csx2300 so you were likely correct in the ID
(#21 May 3, 1966 Fuji, Japan GP; DNF engine problems; Tadashi Sakia)

That #11 rear view appears to be a photo from Daytona 1965. I recall that SAI practiced with all the coupes having the same #11. Maybe to throw off any competitors who were watching. Attached are a few images that show all the coupes with the #11 during practice. Notice the 1's have no ears.

That photo of #11 in the magazine might be from the actual Daytona 24hr race. The #11 in the race, had ears on all the 1's.
I believe that was csx2300 as well, but I don't have a rear view photo to confirm it.

Thanks for posting those pages!

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on December 26, 2021, 12:14:56 AM
My photo - someone has flipped it though.
Black & Gold Mustang II Driveaway for dealers at Ontario Motor Speedway.
We set up 2 slalom courses in the pits for the dealers (and COCOA members) using white/blue Mustang IIs. Shelby made one medium pass and backed it up with top time of the day that no one could touch.
Coupe belonged to Mike Shoen. It was on display at Petersen's museum a block or so west of Grauman's Chinese Theatre. It was also at SAAC 1 in Oakland so that should help narrow down which one it is.
COCOA borrowed it often for meetings and events. First Coupe I ever drove. I also got a ride in Mike's second coupe and drove Shelby's freshly restored one at Willow Springs. We borrowed it for an article when Petersen revived Sports Car Graphic.
Black 66 was Jim & Jan Shields. 6S843 sits in the background (in primer) next to the Travelall & trailer that belonged to Dave Harper. He brought his 289 Cobra that was the LA Fair display car - he bought it new - 3rd in line in top pic.
Edsel Ford was also there - he set the whole thing up. Shortly after is when he got sent to Australia. Rumor was the higher ups didn't like the "race" type atmosphere of this event.

It could be csx2602, the Mike Shoen coupe that was blue.
The other coupe he had around the same time was painted red then painted back to blue (I believe it was csx2299).
Those would be the likely candidates for the 77-78 gatherings.
Both might have been painted blue by that time.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Richstang on December 26, 2021, 09:02:15 PMIt could be csx2602, the Mike Shoen coupe that was blue.
That is the one that COCOA always borrowed (5 or 6 times). It was on display at Bob Petersen's first car museum in Hollywood. If I remember correctly it was Jim Wallace that also towed it to SAAC1 in Oakland. I commented on the POS trailer and found out it was also an original SA vehicle.
Mike's second Coupe was kept at his home in AZ during this time. I think that is the one he brought to SAAC? at Ontario Motor Speedway.

Petersen's original Motorama museum at 9 minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8tTh6oRwug
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

I started COCOA ( OC) in Feb of '74 and we were fortunate enough to have some really important cars "show up" in the parking lot. Les Lindley brought his MKIV  ( I had a security guard to watch it) once and the MKIIs a different time . He and Bill Otto often brought their 427 and 289 Cobras. Back then , the club was for "owners only" which changed after my run as president and probably allowed it to survive and grow to what it is today. I remember Jim bringing the coupe ( it was 2602) to at least one meeting. Now it's hard to get "real cars" to an annual car show. Yes I am guilty of this.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: gt350hr on December 27, 2021, 03:43:33 PMLes Lindley brought his MKIV  once and the MKIIs a different time . He and Bill Otto often brought their 427 and 289 Cobras.
I joined in 75. Cheryll Wallace was working at the local Pacific Stereo and saw me park my car and came out to invite me to a meeting. I remember when Tom Ford (?) brought his yellow MKII to a meeting and the cops followed him into the parking lot. He was going to write him for no windshield wiper until be drug it out from behind the seat - explaining that the cost of making one from a Boeing 727 wiper blade was too much to leave it on the car to rot in the smog.
Sam Johnson seemed to bring his 427 to every meeting. I think at every meeting there were 15-20 real cars. That all adjourned to the Shakey's parking lot afterwards. Saw a bunch of the old COCOA guys at the Segerstrom opening a couple months ago. We were all trying to remember which years each was president. Les Zoller said he's got a list.

camp upshur

As I mentioned above in reply #7, I affiliated in late 74, Randy Hermans recruited me and he was then club president, hmm I dunno... I was one of the younger members along w Dan M and Tony F, Hermans and Wallace prob in mid/late 20s, did alot, but the club then seemed to be steered by Lynn Park, Bob Key, Duane Bowers, and Bruce Berger (a very cool guy) who were all 'much' older.
There were clones then in COCOA OC, remember Randy Steppans (sic?) and the 'collapsible roll bar'. Strange to this day.
Sam Johnson's blue 427 was noteworthy, wasn't it an S/C?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: camp upshur on December 27, 2021, 05:52:11 PM

As I mentioned above in reply #7, I affiliated in late 74, Randy Hermans recruited me and he was then club president, hmm I dunno... I was one of the younger members along w Dan M and Tony F, Hermans and Wallace prob in mid/late 20s, did alot, but the club then seemed to be steered by Lynn Park, Bob Key, Duane Bowers, and Bruce Berger (a very cool guy) who were all 'much' older.
There were clones then in COCOA OC, remember Randy Steppans (sic?) and the 'collapsible roll bar'. Strange to this day.yllSam Johnson's blue 427 was noteworthy, wasn't it an S/C?

Lynn Park and Duane Bowers (His 427 was in Gumball Rally) were in the LA Club they'd visit but not really take part. Dan Mcquire also had a red 66 in the 800s. I remember when his fan came apart and went through the hood. Bob Key had the 65 that he and Kopec drove the Cannonball in. Tony Fasola had a 65 his dad vintage raced an Aston DB4. Jim and Cheryll Wallace worked at Pacific Stereo which is how we got to use their warehouse for meetings. Cheryll ran the office in Covina and Jim ran the Pasadena store. Bruce Berger was Cheryll's dad he always brought his mid 50 Willys pick-up outfitted as a tow truck to Willow Springs. Randy & Trudy Hermans were always there. He always wanted a Cobra and every time he saved enough money the Cobras had jumped in price again so he'd buy another rental unit instead. At the Fontana SAAC before last he came in a Red 427 continuation car that Jim Wallace sold him while he was working at SA in Vegas. Yeah most of us were in our 20s. Berger's, Foster's and Les Lindley (his was the other 427 in Gumball) were the "old" folks - born before the end of WWII. Sam's car was an S/C - first one I ever rode in on the track. When I got out I asked myself how stupid was I? 160 with no rollbar on my side. Randy Stephan's car caused problems for the owner of the real car. Randy had claimed the number for so long when the real car showed up with a real 5R09K # and original tag he had problems with people calling his fake - until they saw photos of Randy's.

honker

Thanks for posting guys ! great stories about the early days of Shelby Clubs !

Also thanks for id'ng the Daytona Coupe.

Mike