News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

CSX2410 - from Barn to Concourse

Started by fastpace, December 22, 2021, 11:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68countrysedan

Very very cool.

Question: The car was heavily damaged in an accident and wound up with a fiberglass body.

Any details on who the manfacturer was and how was it fitted to the existing structure?

EdwardGT350

the 1965 trade by Willian Currence jr for the cobra, i assume the GTO was a pontiac and not a ferrari!?
1966 GT350 6s1761

fastpace

Quote from: 68countrysedan on December 22, 2021, 01:33:17 PM
Very very cool.

Question: The car was heavily damaged in an accident and wound up with a fiberglass body.

Any details on who the manfacturer was and how was it fitted to the existing structure?

We believe the body is likely made by Allied.  The body was purchased in the late 60s/early 70s and so far they're the only ones I have heard had made fiberglass bodies at the time.  I had someone reach out who had been in contact with the person who originally made them, and only 3 were made and they had located 2 of them.  This would line up as well since Allied was in Pennsylvania which is in the couple hundred mile radius of where the car has spent its whole life.

The body was never fully fitted, just rested on top of the structure.  We still have the body and its in very good shape considering its age.  The fiberglass is much thinner and more pliable than the bodies made today.  At some point, we will get around to it and will plan to list the body for sale or otherwise it will be turned to garage art to go with the story of the car.

Quote from: EdwardGT350 on December 22, 2021, 02:00:35 PM
the 1965 trade by Willian Currence jr for the cobra, i assume the GTO was a pontiac and not a ferrari!?

Yes, Pontiac GTO.  Bill was active military at the time and also owned a Semi-comp and a 427 street during the late 60s/early 70s.  He no longer owns any of the cars, but have been discussing with him to collect any information on any of the cars to be able assemble history for 2410 along with any current owners of the other cars.

shelbydoug

I can understand why you would want to return it to "stock". I'd be SO tempted to put an FIA body on it.

I see the engine even has the Autolite carb on it!

I would need serious counseling. Maybe med's to stop me.

Like I said, "best of luck" on this one.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

fastpace

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 22, 2021, 03:23:00 PM
I can understand why you would want to return it to "stock". I'd be SO tempted to put an FIA body on it.

I see the engine even has the Autolite carb on it!

I would need serious counseling. Maybe med's to stop me.

Like I said, "best of luck" on this one.  ;)

If it was 20 years ago, there would have been a strong chance it would get an FIA body on it.  However, today with the values it's really tough to make a major deviation from original.  I also find it to be quite interesting and unique going to Princess Blue, red interior, silver wire wheels, street body, luggage rack, radio, and white side walls.  It's how a lot of the cars were built and sold, but most know them for what they were quickly turned into as the track performers. 

CSX2410 is not much different from the others during the time.  You can see the picture from Bill Currence in 1968 which he had repainted to a darker Guardsman Blue (he commented he didn't like the light blue and a small fender bender turned into full repaint), removed the antenna, removed the luggage rack, removed the white walls, and installed drag race headers with cutouts out the side.

FL SAAC

Congratulations and best wishes on your rebuild
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 22, 2021, 03:23:00 PM
Cobras (even Shelbys) have entered that realm where "day 2" is frowned upon in the clique of collectors where us great unwashed need not apply. To spend all the money making it personal would be a waste. It will cost the same or a little less to return it to Day 1 and it will bring more money. I'd even be sending the leather off those seats back to England. I've seen a guy on English restoration shows that works magic at saving old leather seats.
I have to agree though I too like the FIA body and have been tempted by the Factory 5 one which is as close as my wallet will get me.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Cobrask8

I wonder how that body would fit on a FFR chassis.

Bill

Quote from: Cobrask8 on December 22, 2021, 08:46:05 PM
I wonder how that body would fit on a FFR chassis.

Early Allied, not very well, if at all.  ;)

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

wcampbell

CSX2177 gained flares decades ago and then by the 80's cut back doors. The only thing they removed was the 4" Sebring side pipes which I will be putting back!  I love the look of the USRRC/FIA body in a CSX2000 chassis and as you say the cost to remove those and return it to Day 1 would be a pretty penny, besides it had the Day 1 body for the first maybe 2 years of it's life before they started modifying it anyway The way I look at it is that it's been like this way longer then it was ever like Day 1 - that's why it's staying that way while I own and drive it!

Cobra Ned

Can you listen closely to that Motorola radio when you first hook it up and turn it on? I have always wondered if it would logically still have songs in it from when it was last used, or whether it would automatically revert to today's crap.  :P

Bill

Quote from: Cobra Ned on December 23, 2021, 08:33:03 AM
Can you listen closely to that Motorola radio when you first hook it up and turn it on? I have always wondered if it would logically still have songs in it from when it was last used, or whether it would automatically revert to today's crap.  :P

Ned,

In his local, religious, country, talk radio, and of course sports talk will be the dominant coming out of that speaker  ;D

If still in PA, talk radio, religion, local college station sports, and lots of static in the greater "Water Gap" area.  :o

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Cobra Ned

As I am sure you are aware, a certain amount of the tubing on the front of that chassis does not belong.

fastpace

Quote from: Cobra Ned on December 23, 2021, 08:44:15 AM
As I am sure you are aware, a certain amount of the tubing on the front of that chassis does not belong.

Yes, unfortunately at some point someone attempted to do some of their own repair work in preparation for mounting the fiberglass body and getting the car back on the road, which included some questionable welding and repairs.   

shelbydoug

Quote from: Cobra Ned on December 23, 2021, 08:33:03 AM

Use of a radio makes some sense in that at least at a light you can listen to it but what does a luggage rack have to do with this car even remotely? I NEVER understood that unless it was like a Bill Kolb thing where you had to get his special package along with undercoating?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!