Author Topic: 65 Hipo Distributor - A question of Dwell  (Read 1255 times)

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
65 Hipo Distributor - A question of Dwell
« on: December 28, 2021, 11:14:10 AM »
Believe Bob Mannels book says to set points in a 65 dual point distributor to .019-.021 which should result in 30-33 degrees of dwell. If you blocked one set of points (A) and adjusted other (B) to 26 degrees dwell, moved block from A and moved it to B, then set dwell on A to 26 degrees, total dwell should be between 30-33 degrees when blocks removed. Would think dwell meter would be much more accurate than a feeler gauge. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 01:56:05 PM by mygt350 »
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 65 Hipo Distributor - A question of Dwell
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 11:23:28 AM »
I generally use both.  First, I set the gap with feeler gauge and then check with dwell meter.  If I am lucky, I set them correctly the first time.  If not, repeat the process until within the range.

Also, have tried spinning the engine with dwell meter connected and adjusting the dwell.  Sometimes that works as well.

Others may have different methods.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Tor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 12:04:51 PM »
Hello
I experience with adjusting the dwell. Take out the spark plugs,adjust with a feeler gauge,then spinn the engine and adjust with a dwell meter.

Tor

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 12:48:08 PM »
You can spend a lot of time milking out the last degree of dwell, button it up, go around the block and you lost some.

Dual points give you more dwell and a little more bottom end torque.

The tension in those points wears the rubbing blocks faster then a lo-po single point.

Just use the feeler gauge, go/no go on the high point of the distributor cam with .021, put felt wicks on the points, use point cam grease and leave them alone.

You will wind up running about half way between the maximum dwell possible and the dwell of single points. That's all they are intended to do.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!