Author Topic: finished reproducing some Paxton gauges  (Read 6798 times)

crxnug

• View Profile
finished reproducing some Paxton gauges
« on: January 21, 2018, 10:41:13 AM »
After searching for a long time without much success i decided to make up my own paxton gauges correct for  a 66 gt-350, the only problem i had was sourcing out a 10 psi pressure gauge with the correct needle sweep to use a a base for the reproduction, so gauge is a 15 psi instead of 10, also couldnt reproduce the 2 screws as the was things behind the faceplate,
Since members here are shelby mustang i hope to get some input and comments good or bad
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:47:59 AM by crxnug »

crxnug

• View Profile
Re: finished reproducing some Paxton gauges
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 10:48:36 AM »

crxnug

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 10:49:11 AM »

jamesfee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 12:52:37 PM »
Beautiful job on the gauges. My only question is didn't the supercharger gauge do both vacuum and pressure?

jim
6S1801

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »
They look very nice . Since you wanted input I am not sure if you are going to be selling them but if you are then I hope they will not be very expensive. A 500.00 plus gauge will be hard to sell unless closer to original IMO. The 15 pound gauge would be a non starter for me. It is a non original aspect that stands out. You probably already know this but for those that may not understand why it is hard to find a 10 pound gauge the older super charger systems had trouble building 10 pound which is why the old gauges only went that far. Today's superchargers commonly build over 10 pound which is probably why the 15 pound gauges where a alternative. They do look good just wish you could get them closer.Best of luck with them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

crxnug

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 09:13:51 PM »
, the hardest thing was finding very detailed images of original gauges and with no original ones to look at closely it was somewhat tough , once they were finished i did find a 10 psi gauge that i will use in the future, any input on what can be done to make them perfect would be much appreciated. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 10:29:58 PM »
I can only imagine how much trouble it was to get this far. Here are pics of Paxton gauges.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Pcunder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 10:09:42 AM »
You guys probably already know this, but here's what the originals looked like.
Jamesfee,. looks like you were correct...

Not sure what year these were made or if these are Shelby correct but I got them with an SN-60 Paxton setup about 20 years ago in Houston.
I swapped a 66 LeMans Holley and cash for it.

Oh BTW Crxnug, that is a beautiful set of gauges... Great job having them reproduced.
(FYI: a sticker on the back says Marsh Instruments Skokie, IL)

I know it's a bit off topic, but:
Can 10 psi be squeezed out of these old units with an improved impeller?
Anyone running the 4100? I've got a 600 and a 670 (1.19) I'm considering...

Phil
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:34:07 AM by Pcunder »

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 02:23:51 PM »
Check with one of the special guru on this topic, Craig Conley at Paradise Wheels.  Usually these units are putting out 6 to 7 PSI. 

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 06:25:33 PM »
Don’t know who’s making gauges for you but they can be recalibrated.  A 15# gauge can be made into 10#

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »
We have a few original sets.
We ourselves thought about replicating them, as 3000. a set is pretty good money, and they sell for that money too.

My question, we could never find a set of gauges that were correct>>> the hole for the light socket was the deal killer.
Can you show the back of your gauges so it can be seen how the are illuminated?

With respect,
John
BTW, regular old McCulloch gauges are very correct, but lightening bolt script, no Paxton script>> and a few other incidentals are wrong.
Let alone, they are as expensive to buy also. Set on ebay at this time with extra's, $ 11,000
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 01:35:27 PM »
Looks good. Nice job on the gauges
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 04:39:48 PM »
The correct Paxton gauges for the Shelby cars are the ones that Bob pictured in a previous response (that is a pic of my gauges).  These gauges were not lit from the backside and did not have a socket provision for a bulb.  The original fuel pressure gauge does have the "Paxton" script and the 3 red birds (not lightening bolts).  The blower pressure gauge did not have the "PAXTON" script, but it did have the 3 red birds.  The needles and numbers on the face of the gauges actually glowed in the dark, which they likely used radium paint to achieve.  I believe this style Paxton gauge hit the market in or around '65/'66.  There have been a few different versions produced since the mid '60's version was introduced.  Also, this may have been the last version that actually had fuel running through the line of the fuel gauge to measure pressure.

Earlier gauges (supplied to Studebaker) would have had the McCulloch and Studebaker script on the face.  I'll try to post some more pics of the correct original Paxton gauges for the Shelby cars.

No luck in posting pics...I get a server full response.

George
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 04:53:14 PM by George Schalk »

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 06:44:11 PM »
".........  Also, this may have been the last version that actually had fuel running through the line of the fuel gauge to measure pressure......"
George

You can use an isolator with these early gauges to avoid the fuel in the cockpit safety issues, just as you can with the late modern mechanical fuel pressure  gauges.

Z

John Zeggert

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 11:02:56 PM »
Are the Paxton/Shelby gauges recalibrated and if so and available for purchase, what is the price.  I am interested in purchasing for 6S2045.
johnz66@outlook.com