Author Topic: finished reproducing some Paxton gauges  (Read 6792 times)

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Re: finished reproducing some Paxton gauges
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 10:53:00 AM »
   Phil,
      The most "I" ever made was 13 psi back in the '70's. I had all kinds of problems keeping the drive elements from failing. A bunch of extra heat was generated and I was cooking the oil which led to ball bearing failure until I went to B&M trick shift and added and a "snake oil" called Alaskan brand engine oil coolant. The double spring pressure plate helped to make the boost along with a special impeller and small blower pulley. That combination was able to "live" for about 6 months of weekly drag racing and very limited street use. Not worth the effort these days. Despite the suggestions of Vince granetelli to go to a "direct oiling" ( engine oil pressure fed) I stuck to the standard self contained ATF oiling.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 08:51:27 PM »
a combination of the synthetic B&M Trick Shift and a fluid cooler via the special dipstick,  will enable the ball drive Paxton's to be indefinitely long-lived, regardless of the output with the VR-4 impeller or other enhancements.

I put 85,000 miles on my last Paxton equipped GT-350. At the end of which, there was no measurable wear on the blower unit

Z

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 11:54:51 AM »
   There is a very specialized "electronic vapor deposition" coating that could be applied to the drive elements and eliminate failure. This coating , known in the trades as "DLC" ( diamond like carbon) has been used on wrist pins , solid lifters , valves , rocker arm shafts , and other "problem areas". It leaves a black coating on steel that is virtually wear proof with minimal lubrication. If I were still running a Paxton , I would do this modification.
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 01:03:27 PM »
   There is a very specialized "electronic vapor deposition" coating that could be applied to the drive elements and eliminate failure. This coating , known in the trades as "DLC" ( diamond like carbon) has been used on wrist pins , solid lifters , valves , rocker arm shafts , and other "problem areas". It leaves a black coating on steel that is virtually wear proof with minimal lubrication. If I were still running a Paxton , I would do this modification.
  Randy

^^^^^^^^. +1

Z