Author Topic: CSX8000 Aluminum body question  (Read 5227 times)

CSX2259

• View Profile
Re: CSX8000 Aluminum body question
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2022, 03:56:07 AM »

Not mine, just putting it out there as an example of what the Kirkhams can do….

https://www.listedbuy.com/cars/classics/plymouth-mi/1965-shelby-cobra-kirkham-kirkham-hybrid-427-fia

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2022, 05:30:43 AM »
Someone well known in the hobby just informed me that Kirkham had pretty much doubled their cost on the aluminum bodies this year, and the wait is long.  I'm sure they must have gotten hit by the same material cost inflation increases as everyone else.  Perhaps a used aluminum bodied car is the way to go?  I have a recently rebuilt original 289 HIPO that I've been contemplating as to what to install it in, that's what got me started down this path.  ;)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2022, 09:58:52 AM »

Not mine, just putting it out there as an example of what the Kirkhams can do….

https://www.listedbuy.com/cars/classics/plymouth-mi/1965-shelby-cobra-kirkham-kirkham-hybrid-427-fia

It doesn't reference the chassis type, i.e., leaf v. coil over.

I can do without the badging and a small block would be more to my liking.

199 for a Kirkham seems like close to doubling in price?

In reference to Brian's comment, yes, buying something you can have right now makes tremendous sense.
All I was saying is that the only FIA types that I had seen were fiberglass/leaf springs.

It makes me wonder why a used ERA only goes for around 50? Wasn't that the point of replicas to begin with?

Seemingly the only place we don't see this worldwide inflation occurring is from China. But that's a completely controlled by the government there. It's probably just a matter of time where they decide to take advantage just like everyone else is?

As far as a continuation Cobra for me, I doubt it. I have too many cars already and probably need to decide soon how to downsize? People keep asking me, "nice car, if you ever want to sell it, call me?" So far no cash offers. Strange era we are now in?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 10:04:40 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2022, 11:08:11 AM »
Someone well known in the hobby just informed me that Kirkham had pretty much doubled their cost on the aluminum bodies this year, and the wait is long.  I'm sure they must have gotten hit by the same material cost inflation increases as everyone else.  Perhaps a used aluminum bodied car is the way to go?  I have a recently rebuilt original 289 HIPO that I've been contemplating as to what to install it in, that's what got me started down this path.  ;)

That is correct, per David, cost of a shipping container alone went from under 10K to over 30K, not to mention material cost increases, delays in procuring and shipping of those materials, even his propane bill all factor in to their cost increases. As with their past, every increase has not slowed down orders for their products, you want a slot, better get your deposit in sooner, than later.

Bill S.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2022, 02:37:55 PM »

“It doesn't reference the chassis type, i.e., leaf v. coil over. “

You are correct it doesn’t say which chassis is used. You pretty much have to read between the lines. In the description they state “billet upper and lower control arms”, since 289 Cobras or Kirkhams don’t utilize upper control arms you can only assume that it is a 427 chassis.
I know that Kirkham puts a premium on “original” style suspensions over the billet parts, last time I checked is was a $20K bump.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2022, 11:04:05 PM »
Kirkham refers to the 289 (FIA or street) bodied 427 chassis cars as “Hybrids”. They will also do the chassis in stainless steel.
Remember the stainless cars Ford has done>
A stainless chassis & body on a Kirkham would be the ideal car for winter driving in the rust belt.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/05/incredibly-rare-stainless-steel-ford-collection-heads-to-auction-this-fall/
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2022, 05:46:29 AM »
Which company made their aluminum cobras in poland? Maybe its cheaper to buy there?
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2022, 06:38:52 AM »
Which company made their aluminum cobras in poland? Maybe its cheaper to buy there?

That would be Kirkham, raw body and chassis only in Poland, everything else done in the states.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2022, 08:36:01 AM »
Can I ask, who makes the aluminum bodies for the Shelby CSX8000 series?  Is it Kirkham, or someone else?

Thanks,

Brian

Kirkham supplies the bodys to SPF South Africa, they assemble then the CSX cars for SAI