News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67400F7A02882 on BAT

Started by 5s386, January 01, 2022, 08:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

Quote from: gumby74 on January 06, 2022, 09:30:27 AM
Quote from: 1175 on January 05, 2022, 08:52:54 PM
Usual suspects with nothing but time on their hands and no intention of purchase.  Don't like the BAT format.

Jon

PS.  I will say the goofiest shifter bezel mash up I have ever seen.

1. You have no idea who or who does not have the intention of purchasing. Just as you have no idea who is acting on behalf of actual purchasers.

2. As far as BaT format - you don't like it, but many of us do. The seller chose to post his car on the site, so why should he complain about the format? He claimed that he didn't know what BaT was all about. Perhaps he should have pulled the listing.
Welcome to the forum. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on January 06, 2022, 12:21:31 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on January 06, 2022, 11:57:20 AM
Quote from: gumby74 on January 06, 2022, 11:56:00 AM
Thanks for the welcome, @oldcanuck! I agree with your points 100%.

To @shelbydoug: This is a forum, last I checked. We are having an open discussion. Seems fitting.

OK. No one is stopping you.
I'd venture some would want some simple questions answered at least before buying a plane ticket and flying across the country to look at a car. I agree 100 percent it is imperative to look at a car in person or have someone you trust do it but what is the point of someone flying from Calif to Pa and the guy won't reveal the Ford number stamps to you? Or you get there and find out the 427 in it really isn't a 427 and you had plans for that engine or just wanted to leave it in there?  I'd like to think you would do due diligence beforehand before flying a few thousand miles to look at a car. Gary

Yes. That would be a good intelligent plan.

Avoidance of answering specific questions by the seller to me would definitely send up caution flags and probably dismiss my interest in the car.

This one isn't the last one left for sale on the planet. Although I would not expect a car to be 100% correct. Yes there are a few pet peeves that I have that can disqualify it or some things that bug me but I could possibly overlook?

Lime Green. Lemans stripes being called original. Caution Fan sticker that shouldn't be there. Reproduction 10 spokes that never came on the car.

Has anyone here actually gone to look at it or had someone close look at it? Just curious on that.

I will agree, buying these cars has become more difficult and complicated but travel is part of it and so is unfortunately a wild goose chase.

The only thing is that you really don't know what you can buy the car for until it is face to face, and you discuss what you see the cars faults as and what you won't pay for?  It's called, making a deal.

Is he going to let you turn and walk away?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shelby4Life

@shelbymann70 Early in the auction, I commented that the he left the fourth vin on the Marti exposed, on the door tag.
Nothing was done, and nobody responded.

1967 Sprint 289 Auto, Deluxe, AC.
1967 S Code GTA Deluxe, AC.
2004 Gated 6-speed Ferrari 360.

67 GT350

Bob, you said a mouth full when you said, the bottom line is he is trying to make his car seem with more than it actually is.

I am with you, Realsville, that is where I am from. -Rush

Every person here loves a high priced car, except when they go to buy one. But when its time to sell....Whatch out!

I have heard many times, "Gee there is one on ebay for this amount, mine should be worth more!" Mind you, it has not sold, it is the stupid BIN price that means nothing. That is one reason the hobby is suffering. "WOW, nice car! What's it worth?"

My own 2 cents as they say here., I think that car was bid up. There! I said it! -Mark L.

I am old school, Realsville, USA, if these cars were only 3500, I would like them as much as if the price was 35000. The day a 67 Shelby is routinely, I said routinely selling for 350,000K, that will be the day the fun in ownership has died. What a turn off!
RARE  Signature Delete

JD

Quote from: Shelby4Life on January 06, 2022, 01:55:29 PM
@shelbymann70 Early in the auction, I commented that the he left the fourth vin on the Marti exposed, on the door tag.

That image was revised and that portion of the tag obscured and it was mentioned in one or more of the comments.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 67 GT350 on January 06, 2022, 02:22:14 PM
Bob, you said a mouth full when you said, the bottom line is he is trying to make his car seem with more than it actually is.

I am with you, Realsville, that is where I am from. -Rush

Every person here loves a high priced car, except when they go to buy one. But when its time to sell....Whatch out!

I have heard many times, "Gee there is one on ebay for this amount, mine should be worth more!" Mind you, it has not sold, it is the stupid BIN price that means nothing. That is one reason the hobby is suffering. "WOW, nice car! What's it worth?"

My own 2 cents as they say here., I think that car was bid up. There! I said it! -Mark L.

I am old school, Realsville, USA, if these cars were only 3500, I would like them as much as if the price was 35000. The day a 67 Shelby is routinely, I said routinely selling for 350,000K, that will be the day the fun in ownership has died. What a turn off!
My pet peeve? A seller who knows what his car is WORTH but knows nothing about it or won't answer questions. Jerry's entourage now is laughable. If BaT should do any censoring it should be the idiots that post quips or little digs at others with zero discussion or knowledge about the car. That 67bullitt who claims to know rivets said the rivets are special by posting a company in Quebec? I'll trust the experts here on rivets than some guy who references a car in his name that doesn't exist. If the car doesn't meet it's reserve it will be blamed on the knowledgeable posters who needed more info. I remember when my friend Vinny sold his 427 GT500 for what I thought was on the cheap for a gorgeous car. His answer? It had a non original 427 in it and not a correct 428 8V . 
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

oldcanuck

So did I and I dont think he had a clue as to what we were referring to..... a common problem on several fronts of this auction.

Fran ..... I agree... he had a friend 'hit it' and now its stuck there. Already over and above what it is really worth.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

shelbymann1970

Quote from: oldcanuck on January 06, 2022, 03:11:03 PM

So did I and I dont think he had a clue as to what we were referring to..... a common problem on several fronts of this auction.

Fran ..... I agree... he had a friend 'hit it' and now its stuck there. Already over and above what it is really worth.
That blue one not long ago with an auto was RNM at 139K. I hated the photography of the car. People commend that stuff. I want bright clear pics of a car-not soft dark ones. I went out of my zone and commented my dislike of his pics for prospective buyers.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

67_1183

Jan 7 at 12:29 PM

Reserve not met on 1/7/22 at $145,000

Tmedia (The Seller)

Thanks to all the nice people who made positive comments and were very supportive. To the negative folks I'm also quite happy it didn't meet the reserve as I now get to keep my beautiful car, have some good information and a baseline # if or when I ever try to sell it PRIVATELY. Have a great life everyone...
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

gumby74

His call. I personally think he should have taken $145k. Too many open questions and things that were added/changed.

FYI, there was another 67 GT500 with a 427 SO on BAT. It sold for $101k in July 2020. @oldcanuck posted a link to it in one of his comments on the auction:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-shelby-mustang-gt500-427ci-side-oiler-4-speed/

Cheers!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gumby74 on January 07, 2022, 04:34:34 PM
His call. I personally think he should have taken $145k. Too many open questions and things that were added/changed.

FYI, there was another 67 GT500 with a 427 SO on BAT. It sold for $101k in July 2020. @oldcanuck posted a link to it in one of his comments on the auction:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-shelby-mustang-gt500-427ci-side-oiler-4-speed/

Cheers!
That is if the 145K was a real bidder and not a shill. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gumby74

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 07, 2022, 04:53:15 PM

Doesn't look like it (West Coast dealer), but who knows. The seller definitely had that Jekyll & Hyde personality.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: gumby74 on January 07, 2022, 05:36:03 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 07, 2022, 04:53:15 PM

Doesn't look like it (West Coast dealer), but who knows. The seller definitely had that Jekyll & Hyde personality.
Another member here asked me to jump in and ask to get prior questions answered. He never answer them. The only comment I made in regards to anything on the car was the engine builder was that he is a highly respected FE engine builder who is right by me here in Mi. The seller would not release any pics of the engine other than saying it was a 427. At the end of the auction the seller said he hoped there were no hard feelings to me in a "tag". I didn't know there was anything for me to have hard feelings. I told him absolutely not and GLWTA. I'm learning on 67s. What tires me are the suck azzes who know squat, cannot afford one and their comments are little quips or digs at others(1967bullitt comes to mind in that auction). I want facts on a car. I don't need to see friends of mine asking important questions get attacked for asking them-especially when they are doing it on behalf of a potential buyer who is a  collector. All I know is if I buy a 67 in the future if it has a 427 in it I'd price it as such-cheaper than a 428 with the correct intake and carbs.
   I also wonder if any of the bidders contacted Dave Mathews on the fender apron stamps or any history on them or had an expert see the car in person.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Kent

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Greg

I would like you guys to think about this. 

This person obviously didn't know as much or a lot about the car, especially when compared to folks on here, I think we all agree on that.  That being obvious, why keep pounding the guy for answers that he doesn't have or won't give. 

I watched this auction and I saw legitimate, intelligent questions from you and I saw an owner that didn't know and was tired of being what he perceived as "picked on" so he got defensive. 

IMO, when you see this you have one of three options.  Stop commenting, get on a plane or hire a third party close to the car to go inspect it. If you are serious that is what you do, 2) Stop commenting, don't bid and find another car or 3) Keeping asking and picking and look like a ass. 

Bob, you stated you had a serious bidder, that being the case he needed to hire you or someone close to the car to go see it in person to answer the questions.  I understand not wanting to spend the cash but if he is serious that is what you do.  I think most of us have driven or flown crazy places to look at cars.  To keep hammering the guy and wanting answers that the guy wasn't going to provide is not productive and only looks bad on you in the end.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1