Author Topic: 68 KR Exhaust  (Read 1954 times)

Smity

• View Profile
68 KR Exhaust
« on: January 03, 2022, 03:02:20 AM »
My 68 KR has the original factory exhaust system, including muffler, never been removed.  The piping and muffler are in fair condition.  I will restore the car at some point but wanted to know if anyone has advice/experience on restoring the exhaust system.  Is it practical to restore the original exhaust piping and muffler?  Thank you in advance for any advice.

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 68 KR Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 09:50:15 AM »
Portions are raw steel which will probably have pitting, which you will have a tough time eliminating; portions are aluminized, which you will have a tough time duplicating that finish.  Chances are you will have dents and scrapes, also.  It will require some work with different processes to obtain a finish worthy of the rest of the car.

There might be a survivor car owner out there that would like to have your takeoff exhaust? 

A few NOS exhaust components are around, but they get expensive.  Then, if you are going to drive your car, you are right back where you started.  You do have a high quality, reproduction option with the Scott Fuller products which offer your choice of raw steel or aluminized. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 10:15:18 AM »
Portions are raw steel which will probably have pitting, which you will have a tough time eliminating; portions are aluminized, which you will have a tough time duplicating that finish.  Chances are you will have dents and scrapes, also.  It will require some work with different processes to obtain a finish worthy of the rest of the car.

There might be a survivor car owner out there that would like to have your takeoff exhaust? 

A few NOS exhaust components are around, but they get expensive.  Then, if you are going to drive your car, you are right back where you started.  You do have a high quality, reproduction option with the Scott Fuller products which offer your choice of raw steel or aluminized.
+1 . You will not effectively be able to restore the original system . After you have done what you could to make it look better it will still look out of place on a restored car. It will have value for someone trying to preserve a unrestored car that has had the common exhaust replacement. It is best to start saving up for the Scott Fuller near perfect factory looking concours correct replacement exhaust ,clamps,hangers etc.
 https://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/page/page/4595229.htm
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rscrip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 11:47:41 AM »
Ran across this thread while searching for some help installing exhaust heat shield on 68 Shelby gt 500.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 12:52:52 PM »
It’s unusual to find a heat shield on a GT500. Is this original to your car?

Are you planning on attaching it to something?

rscrip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 01:39:27 PM »
Maybe I called it the wrong name.  It is the shield that wraps around the left exhaust manifold, attaches to a riser, then a snorkle that attaches to the breather.  My 68 Shelby GT 500 Convertible has one also, but it is completely installed.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 01:45:09 PM »
It’s unusual to find a heat shield on a GT500. Is this original to your car?

Are you planning on attaching it to something?
+1 what he said. KR used the heat shield but GT500 did not . It would be a not typical mistake for it to be left on. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 01:50:49 PM »
 ;D like this? (But better shape)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 01:53:26 PM by Coralsnake »

rscrip

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 02:27:24 PM »
My original was even in worse shape, it was gone.  Got a new one, complete with S tube, Snorkle, and breather.  Got new studs for exhaust manifold also, got the studs in carefully but the heat shield is a challenge.  Thinking about taking bolts out of the motor mounts and jacking the engine up to gain some room.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 02:46:58 PM »
My original was even in worse shape, it was gone.  Got a new one, complete with S tube, Snorkle, and breather.  Got new studs for exhaust manifold also, got the studs in carefully but the heat shield is a challenge.  Thinking about taking bolts out of the motor mounts and jacking the engine up to gain some room.
What with the snorkle it sounds like you have a GT500 KR and not GT500. Yes on taking out the the mount bolt so as to lift the engine for more room to work. You may need to remove the export brace so that the valve covers have more clearance when raising upwards.

rscrip

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 03:00:03 PM »
Thanks Bob and nice to hear from you.  It is a GT500 KR.  I looked at only removing the passenger motor mount bolt only but the driver side valve cover looked like it would hit the brake master cylinder.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 03:24:52 PM »
Thanks Bob and nice to hear from you.  It is a GT500 KR.  I looked at only removing the passenger motor mount bolt only but the driver side valve cover looked like it would hit the brake master cylinder.
I think you will get what you need with just the passenger side bolt removed. That one side will pivot up with the other still bolted.  You also will get a lot more room to maneuver by removing the passenger side valve cover  too. 

rscrip

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 03:47:29 PM »
Great thanks for the help.  I will be tackling this again this weekend and will let you know.