News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

68 convertible chrome----I dont need concourse......

Started by hurlbird, January 09, 2022, 10:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlbird

My 68 convertible has aged well in most cases but not all. Specifically, the chrome took a hit after being in a barn so long. That said to make the car presentable (preservation vs. restoration) I have to address the blistering on the door handles and remote mirror. BUT brand new chrome looks out of place to the rest of the car. That said if you know someone with these parts that look really nice BUT doesn't meet their concourse standards and so they went NOS or something, please have them reach out to me. "Looking for properly aged" but not blistered. Thanks! -John 7745713774 txt/call 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: hurlbird on January 09, 2022, 10:31:53 AM
My 68 convertible has aged well in most cases but not all. Specifically, he chrome took a hit after being in a barn so long. That said to make the car presentable (preservation vs. restoration) I have to address the blistering on the door handles and remote mirror. BUT brand new chrome looks out of place to the rest of the car. That said if you know someone with these parts that look really nice BUT doesn't meet their concourse standards and so they went NOS or something, please have them reach out to me. "Looking for properly aged" but not blistered. Thanks! -John 7745713774 txt/call
Bravo for having the insight to match the patina instead of a out of place looking fresh chrome that would stand out as different. Best of luck with your search.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gpm6367

I love the goal of preservation and appreciation of patina.

While I can appreciate concourse trailer queens (not a derogatory term) there is something about original cars and patina that I find endearing, warts and all.

Have you considered having your originals rechromed, but not the show chrome level offered by most companies?

hurlbird

thanks.... i haven't considered that option. It almost feels counter intuitive. I'm still looking for nice originals. No luck yet.