Author Topic: C4ZE radiator  (Read 1351 times)

mgreene

• View Profile
C4ZE radiator
« on: July 31, 2023, 10:58:27 AM »
Found this in my stash this weekend. Is this applicable to a '65?
'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

texas swede

• View Profile
Re: C4ZE radiator
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 12:11:03 PM »
No, a 65 Shelby should have a G2 and not F2.
Texas Swede

mgreene

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 01:14:46 PM »
Thanks!
'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 01:27:42 PM »
A interesting note I have found radiators over the years that had a soldered on G2 plate over where a Y2 may have been suggesting that some radiators for whatever reason were repurposed . The tags were done in such a way that it was obvious the change was not meant to fool someone of the change. I personally haven't found one like that on a minimally restored or survivor type car so as to give weight they might have been used on the assemblyline that way . Until evidence suggests otherwise I am thinking service replacement with the edited marking.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 03:02:55 PM »
What Bob says makes perfect sense as Y2 was for a 4-speed V-8 like the G2. I believe F2 on your radiator means it was for
an automatic car. Does it have any connection to the auto oil lines at the bottom.
Texas Swede

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 04:42:59 PM »
Just adding to the general discussion.

Do have examples of numerous (not just Y2 to G2) other radiator top tanks being relabeled with the small letter tag over the stamped one. Looking at pictures and notes Y over a G, Z over some unknown letter, Z over a G, Y over some unknown letter and others.

Have pictures of examples where the relabeled radiator top tank was dated to match the cars projected and documented production period. Also these fall within a group and within a two month period or grouping of cars produced at San Jose suggesting IMHO that they were installed originally.  Would not suggest that someone having difficulty finding a correct stamped radiator go out and relabel another since this does not appear to have taken place during the whole production year.   Might dive into this deeper elsewhere rather than get this thread too far off thread :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

mgreene

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2023, 08:51:28 AM »
What Bob says makes perfect sense as Y2 was for a 4-speed V-8 like the G2. I believe F2 on your radiator means it was for
an automatic car. Does it have any connection to the auto oil lines at the bottom.
Texas Swede

Yes it does have the auto trans lines in the bottom tank.
'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023, 03:17:54 PM »
I have a corrected c4ze 3/65 radiator G soldered over a M. Original core and non-auto bottom tank. I figured it was a Modine flub unit that was eventually sold as a replacement part.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 03:59:25 PM »
I have a corrected c4ze 3/65 radiator G soldered over a M. Original core and non-auto bottom tank. I figured it was a Modine flub unit that was eventually sold as a replacement part.

Do you know the car that it was found in?  You can PM if you choose
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2023, 07:32:40 PM »
It was and still in 6S1138 when I purchased May 98. Obvious incorrect dating, two previous owners.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 07:33:29 PM »
It was and still in 6S1138 when I purchased May 98. Obvious incorrect dating, two previous owners.

Thanks in any case :) The stamping date and likely use (time period) was the most important. Just checking for additional data points