News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

shelby # 1444 ?, one in chicago, race car

Started by Harris Speedster, January 07, 2022, 02:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Lets not take anything away from the car, it's definitely a neat piece.

Unfortunately, like many before, owners like to pick and choose their facts to mold their stories and sprinkle in down right inaccuracies

More experienced people who notice these inconsistencies are just nay sayers or snobs.

By now, Dennis must have several warehouses of project cars. His show is entertaining if nothing else.

GT350DAVE

Wow,
The car sure has changed in the past few years. Here, let's look in the Registry and pick a number.
Total BS.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

427hunter

Very cool, but I agree this was a pre sale ad. Cool old race car and I believe it was a shelby, but using a bunch of old speed parts (that they admit they added) and B.S. about "Shelby removing transmissions" etc is just to create hype.   
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

98SVT - was 06GT

Typical scripted reality TV. Opening scene they tell you they may have found and by the end of the show with a lot of BS and still no proof they tell you it's now a proven fact.
Some simple debunking questions
Why would SA build it? The handwriting was on the wall CS was out of the GT350/500 business that was moving east under Ford control. And, in typical Ford fashion they were polishing up the rough and tumble image by making the GT350/500s into a plush personal luxury pony car.
Why would Ford build it? They were having great success with the Mustang it wouldn't make any sense to confuse the issue with a Mustang and a GT350
Did SA build it? SA didn't even build their own drag 65 GT350s. That task was contracted out to Les Richey and Performance Associates in Glendora CA.
Did Ford build it? They would have farmed the work out to Kar Kraft or Holman and Moody and the build quality of this car does not reflect their work.
SA in this time period was under orders from Ford to concentrate on the Ford GTs and winning LeMans. They had even taken the Coupes from his control in 1965. The 66 TransAm Mustang was a fluke that CS was called on at the last minute to prep a car quick and help Ford win the new TA series championship at the last race. That led him to start fielding Ford Mustang race cars not GT350/500 ones.
NHRA vs IHRA - NHRA was the show - big names, big crowds, big money and TV - IHRA was the local boys having some weekend fun on a small budget - like using the standard 67 main hoop as the basis of your roll bar.
I offer the back half is indeed real but unprovable (maybe date codes on the sheet metal can narrow production range). A serial number on a trans is zero proof since we've all seen many VIN marked engine and transmissions and swap meets everywhere. It was either a total with a destroyed front clip or stolen - another popular method to get cheap racecar parts. There was a running joke in the SoCal SCCA pits when one Vette racer "Andy" crashed his car he'd just go steal another and swap the parts.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Coralsnake

Where are all the "early" 1967 guys?

They said early deck-lid and wiring for running lights ( which are not there )
It sounds like a four point roll bar is described?

I don't think those features would be on a February built car would they?

🤔

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 08, 2022, 08:02:49 PM
Where are all the "early" 1967 guys?

They said early deck-lid and wiring for running lights ( which are not there )
It sounds like a four point roll bar is described?

I don't think those features would be on a February built car would they?

🤔
If you read my post "if you spout off a bunch of misinformation concerning parts used in different phases of 67 Shelby production along with flawed logic and and say it with matter of fact confidence that the uninformed will believe it. "  what you mention is what I was refering to. A little knowledge can be dangerous in the case of the script writer.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

After reading the comments on YouTube, there are a good number of uninformed

Thank you Mr Gaines. I was getting worried 😧

GT350DAVE

They picked a number out of the Registry in order to sell it. The number they picked has a San Jose date of 3/15/67 and a Shelby completion date of 4/5/67. The characteristics of the rear clip do not match these dates. It was definitely the wrong number.. Unfortunately the buyer did not check with the 67 Registrar. All is not lost if he can find racing history for it. We are hopeful he is successful at finding that history.
Dave

Coralsnake

I watch Collins videos, but I was scratching my head after this one.

"I have been around these my whole life"

"Date codes on wiring harnesses"

"Lights in scoops of export cars"

🤔

Here's one for you Dennis, I passed on buying it because it has no numbers. This one does have an extensive race history. Not a Shelby, but equally as cool.

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Boggus

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: GT350DAVE on January 08, 2022, 09:36:16 PMUnfortunately the buyer did not check with the 67 Registrar.
What could he tell them without a "real" number?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

J_Speegle

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on January 08, 2022, 11:30:42 PM

Features, findings, dates from panels, modifications (non-drag differences from a regular Mustang) made to the body and other details in hopes that Dave could help narrow down the possibilities or to see if the registry had records of a similar or same drag car that someone had taken pictures of or share info on in the past.

Been involved with a fair share of similar claims and discoveries

Time to also dig or search out all the local Drag News or publications from the period in hopes that someone took a picture of such a car or a 67 Shelby posted in the class winners for any drag strip in the area
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

I also have done this type of research. It is very time consuming. It will make there basic education look like an advanced college course in physics.

shelbydoug

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

It is up to the current owner to prove that the remains of this particular Mustang are the ones of a specific Shelby and that they just don't resemble one.

Talk is cheap. Put up or shut up.

It is his problem and it is going to be difficult on his part if not impossible, but the answer for us is really rather simple. 

For a future buyer it would be well advised to have the 67 Registrar verify anything.

It may be the Registry doesn't know enough but no one knows more. Period. End of story. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

GT350DAVE

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on January 08, 2022, 11:30:42 PM
Quote from: GT350DAVE on January 08, 2022, 09:36:16 PMUnfortunately the buyer did not check with the 67 Registrar.
A lot. For one thing an honest assessment of the car when it was first found, including photographs. It has changed significantly since then. Content of discussions with previous owners, claims and research done on the car.