News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

shelby # 1444 ?, one in chicago, race car

Started by Harris Speedster, January 07, 2022, 02:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris Speedster

What is the scoop?
This is one car that I myself and other 67 guys posted on.
Dennis Collins>> cb jeep, bought it. youtube video.
They sellers sure talked a lot
The trans number shown, has value to the Shelby it came from.
Seems the same basic story was aired, seems the sellers blow the club off?
Looks like they bought a lot of parts to make the story better>

John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

silverton_ford

Link to the video: https://youtu.be/aIj4-HGI6Zk

At one point this car was on the forum.  Either the old forum or this new one, I don't remember. - Found it: http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=6303.0

Tired Sheep

Cool car

Maybe even a Shelby, but at best it's half a Shelby now

Lost me at "Shelby took out the engines and transmissions and didn't really care what care what cars they went in"

Stop trying so hard to justify what you found and let the car speak for itself

Harris Speedster

after over 45 years of owning Shelbys, glad to learn that Shelby took the transmissions out of 67's at his place.

Never to late to learn >> huh ?
#1444, I think that's what they said.
Filling in a blank spot of a unknown car ?
What say the experts?
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Tired Sheep

If it has early car features why is it a later number?

gt350hr

I just listened to the "infomercial" as it seemed. Without seeing it for myself ,I will grant the "back half" seems to be real. Good forensics led them to 1444 . My question is Does the back half constitute the car? IF they had a title in the name of the PO that we give it credence, I am no stranger to building tube chassis racecars but when I used a portion of a street car as the main body I kept the vin tag and one of the serial number pieces with it simply to prove it's origin.
     If the"front end" is replaced and it has the correct numbers on it , it's FELONY time!!!!!! Even CS himself got into trouble that way.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Harris Speedster on January 07, 2022, 03:17:55 PM
after over 45 years of owning Shelbys, glad to learn that Shelby took the transmissions out of 67's at his place.

Huh  ???

SA didn't pull transmissions on typical production cars during the process of converting them
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Harris Speedster on January 07, 2022, 03:17:55 PM

Never to late to learn >> huh ?
#1444, I think that's what they said.
Filling in a blank spot of a unknown car ?
What say the experts?
I remember the thread. It may be a rear clip of a original Shelby but extremely doubtful it was modified by SA or Ford like they are trying to make a case for. It seems like that if you spout off a bunch of misinformation concerning parts used in different phases of 67 Shelby production along with flawed logic and and say it with matter of fact confidence that the uninformed will believe it. The YouTube video was a entertaining view. I wish whoever ends up with the car the best.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Tired Sheep

I wonder how the k code vin on the trans compares to the car found? If it was a Shelby?

They did seem to imply it was a factory build, but never really came out and said it

gt350hr

+1 No reason to pull either trans or engine. Lot's of "justification" for "gathered" parts shown.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Tired Sheep

Another fine example of amateurs believing they can be professionals 😉

Clipped Shelby at best.Interesting how they tried to "backfill" a history to fit their  narrative."I've talked to old timers that saw it run"....sure...Cool car,I like it,but I hope they got it for a reasonable(non Shelby)price.unlikely...

cboss70

I've seen it asked about in a number of places over the years to try and prove and or make its case. Its possible it was a Shelby but its just as possible that someone added enough parts to fit a story to convince people a regular mustang was a Shelby.  I never got the vibe in past posts but in this video it just seemed like they were trying to create a narrative around the car but things didn't seem to line up with the timeline presented. Also, when you start to freshen up a car like they have and start replacing parts you lose the story the take-off parts may have told (versus the replacements you added to maybe or maybe not tell a different story).  Who knows, maybe someone will step forward and have original paperwork, tags and pictures and add a fairy tail ending to the story. Regardless of what it is today it does have a Bad-A.. look and the clip on side scoops were cool.

honker

As Bob Gaines sez, that car was here before, I saved 4 images to my files, here's two.

Mike

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge