News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

shelby # 1444 ?, one in chicago, race car

Started by Harris Speedster, January 07, 2022, 02:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Ill say it and say it again, you da man !

Quote from: gt350hr on January 12, 2022, 10:35:07 AM
   427Heaven,
       You are correct , the class NEVER existed in NHRA . The F/X class stopped at C F/X where the smaller engine , heavier cars were. SEVERAL problems with the way the car is presented and they are all associated by "someone" guessing . As I mentioned on the first go around , these are the issues that keep this from being a "period" F/X car. Fuel injection, straight axles , fiberglass "tilt" front ends and no front brakes were ONLY allowed in "A" F/X , NOT the lower classes. This car would have HAD to be in a GAS class as it was modified too much even for ''modified production" . Likely D/Gas because of the cubic inches.
     One benefit of being old is that you were "there" to experience this stuff instead of "read about it"
      Randy
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

gt350hr

Naw I'm just an old man that doesn't accept "creative history" or assumptions when I know better.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Coralsnake

The more the knowledgeable people look at this the less likely it becomes.

The more the less knowledgeable people look it the more plausible it becomes.

Coralsnake

And then there seems to be the endless supply of "automotive journalists"

Where did he get that production information?

We really do live in clown world

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/mysterious-1967-shelby-mustang-gt350-surfaces-in-chicago-it-s-been-sitting-for-53-years-178823.html

98SVT - was 06GT

More lies than a politician

But this GT350 that was recently uncovered in Chicago might just be the rarest of them all. Simply because it is unique. This Shelby has been sitting in storage since 1969 and, because it doesn't have a VIN, no one has been able to identify it so far. Not confirmed as a GTanything.

The info that's been uncovered so far suggests that this modified muscle car is a 1967 Shelby GT350. There's no VIN to confirm it, but the big amount of original parts that are still on the car hint that it was built by Shelby in 1967. Should read parts that have now been added to the car. Original photos show many missing parts that have now mysteriously appeared

But here's the interesting bit. This GT350 was converted into a drag racer. And not just any run-of-the-mill, late 1960s dragster, but some sort of experimental vehicle with the engine pushed farther back than usual. Farther than the regulations allowed at the time, which might explain why it was retired into storage in 1969. "Experimental" did they have a setback rule? The set back looks pretty normal for the 60s. Retired at 2 years old - with all that rust?

Yup. this car was never completely finished and never raced. But it was close to hitting the quarter-mile with loads of high-end racing parts and an authentic Shelby roll bar. Was it an experimental drag car put together by Carroll himself? If never ran why is a number on it? A new hook for the fish to bite on - I'm certain in true Gas Monkey garage verbage this will be called a Shelby race car from here on as is Rawlings "Shelby" convertible he built.

Not very likely, but that's something Dennis Collins, who recently purchased the GT350, is looking to find out. But the guys who sold it to him suspect that this Shelby might be the GT350 no. 1444, a car that's been missing since 1967, shortly after it was produced. They KNOW it's not 1444 and have admitted to that fact in their postings on this forum. The sheetmetal dates and trans VIN don't agree - I also suspect the color of 1444 was not white. They also called the past owner a hoarder who had lots of parts from many cars. We know the trans was never installed in this shell in 67 why should we think the roll bar is anything more than a loose part that was lying around - I bought one for $20 and stuck in a 65 Fastback I built.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on January 12, 2022, 06:25:01 PM
More lies than a politician

But this GT350 that was recently uncovered in Chicago might just be the rarest of them all. Simply because it is unique. This Shelby has been sitting in storage since 1969 and, because it doesn't have a VIN, no one has been able to identify it so far. Not confirmed as a GTanything.

The info that's been uncovered so far suggests that this modified muscle car is a 1967 Shelby GT350. There's no VIN to confirm it, but the big amount of original parts that are still on the car hint that it was built by Shelby in 1967. Should read parts that have now been added to the car. Original photos show many missing parts that have now mysteriously appeared

But here's the interesting bit. This GT350 was converted into a drag racer. And not just any run-of-the-mill, late 1960s dragster, but some sort of experimental vehicle with the engine pushed farther back than usual. Farther than the regulations allowed at the time, which might explain why it was retired into storage in 1969. "Experimental" did they have a setback rule? The set back looks pretty normal for the 60s. Retired at 2 years old - with all that rust?

Yup. this car was never completely finished and never raced. But it was close to hitting the quarter-mile with loads of high-end racing parts and an authentic Shelby roll bar. Was it an experimental drag car put together by Carroll himself? If never ran why is a number on it? A new hook for the fish to bite on - I'm certain in true Gas Monkey garage verbage this will be called a Shelby race car from here on as is Rawlings "Shelby" convertible he built.

Not very likely, but that's something Dennis Collins, who recently purchased the GT350, is looking to find out. But the guys who sold it to him suspect that this Shelby might be the GT350 no. 1444, a car that's been missing since 1967, shortly after it was produced. They KNOW it's not 1444 and have admitted to that fact in their postings on this forum. The sheetmetal dates and trans VIN don't agree - I also suspect the color of 1444 was not white. They also called the past owner a hoarder who had lots of parts from many cars. We know the trans was never installed in this shell in 67 why should we think the roll bar is anything more than a loose part that was lying around - I bought one for $20 and stuck in a 65 Fastback I built.
The level of detective work needed on these cars can be aggravating, but it can also be fun in a way.  Great summation using inductive reasoning.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

roddster

He's got a nice, customized Mustang there.

shelbydoug

It's 18 degrees here so I'm looking for stuff to do inside. What's your excuse?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 12, 2022, 06:04:08 PM
And then there seems to be the endless supply of "automotive journalists"

All it takes is a phone camera, a goofy expression, the demeanor of a three-year-old, and there's today's typical "car expert/journalist."
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

gt350hr

"Never completely finished and never raced" That is some valuable history there.  All this to try and increase the value of this modified wreck.

FL SAAC

Mr R

Like we previously stated:

So after viewing the video production and reading all the comments, the only vin number is on a transmission?

If that is so, we can summarize this find in one sentence :

There is truly no way to authenticate this car.

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

427hunter

Quote from: gt350hr on January 13, 2022, 10:38:53 AM
  "Never completely finished and never raced" That is some valuable history there.  All this to try and increase the value of this modified wreck.

100% Randy.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on January 13, 2022, 10:41:31 AM
Like we previously stated:

So after viewing the video production and reading all the comments, the only vin number is on a transmission?

If that is so, we can summarize this find in one sentence :

There is truly no way to authenticate this car.

Only the trans is verifiable - and he indicates in his earlier posts that the 67 Registrar has told him it's out of a later built car than this shell and that the car it is from was not white.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless