News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Windshield gasket question with reproduction glass

Started by BGlover67, May 09, 2018, 03:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

I ordered a date correct windshield from ECS.  Very nice folks to deal with.  I nquired about the difference between original glass thickness versus the new glass being made.  He told me there was about a millimeter less difference with the new stuff.  He also said that the new gaskets take this into account, but my restorer had strongly suggested that I purchase an NOS gasket because they are superior.  So what's better to use? Is there something special I should tell the glass installer?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BGlover67 on May 09, 2018, 03:08:33 PM
I ordered a date correct windshield from ECS.  Very nice folks to deal with.  I nquired about the difference between original glass thickness versus the new glass being made.  He told me there was about a millimeter less difference with the new stuff.  He also said that the new gaskets take this into account, but my restorer had strongly suggested that I purchase an NOS gasket because they are superior.  So what's better to use? Is there something special I should tell the glass installer?
repros windshield rubbers have a tendency to tear at the corners over time.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

Okay, wait, my bs meter just pegged...you are saying that the Chinese and other reproduction rubber companies have a 1 mm adjustment to their gaskets? Then wouldnt they be intentionally making their parts wrong and incompatible with original glass?

corbins

Not sure a millimeter difference in thickness could make any difference in the installation quality between the two gaskets mentioned. And wonder how much better a 40/50 year old , dried out NOS gasket would be over a good quality repro. And I would think that folks here would pipe up with their own personal experiences with the aftermarket glass and gaskets, brands used, install techniques, etc.

greekz

I cannot speak to the quality of reproduction windshield gaskets made today, but can give you reference to gaskets installed in 1990 on my 1967 GT-350.  The reproduction windshield was installed with a Ford gasket of uncertain age that I purchased in the late 1980's and it still looks good.  The rear window was installed with new reproduction gasket and it cracked in each corner after a few years.  On my 1966 GT-350, the reproduction windshield was installed mid-1990's with a Ford gasket and it still looks good. My cars only see the sun during driving and car show only.  Unless the quality of reproduction gaskets has improved, I believe they will crack faster than a Ford gasket.  Could be wrong.  With the exception of those on this Forum that make great quality reproduction parts, most of what is out there is sub-standard.  And, that is being polite.

Just my opinion.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

BGlover67

Quote from: Coralsnake on May 09, 2018, 07:47:47 PM
Okay, wait, my bs meter just pegged...you are saying that the Chinese and other reproduction rubber companies have a 1 mm adjustment to their gaskets? Then wouldnt they be intentionally making their parts wrong and incompatible with original glass?

Pete, I agree it sounded odd, but that's what they told me.  Hard to get a straight answer about this.

Brian
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

tesgt350

Where would you find a good enough NOS Gasket?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tesgt350 on May 10, 2018, 07:21:53 AM
Where would you find a good enough NOS Gasket?
Watch eBay for one instance. I see them for sale all of the time. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

Eventually we're going to run out of NOS gaskets.  Then there is that real NOS, or is that the old "is that the 80's/90's" NOS argument.  And of course, way too late for some reproduction company to put some research into making an even better gasket, rather than one that just works "good enough".

CharlesTurner

There's usually a couple NOS windshield gaskets on ebay at any one point.  They range from $150-250.  I have had the same issues with repro gaskets that Bob mentioned, they crack in the corners, leaving a gap.

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge