Author Topic: Giving back matters...  (Read 1662 times)

hurlbird

• View Profile
Giving back matters...
« on: January 09, 2022, 01:22:49 PM »
I thought I would share 3 stories about experiences I have had in the classic car society where paying it forward or at least being generous has come back to me in two of them. I think!
Just a quick background which will help a bit. I am a Pontiac guy. Born and raised and have always loved the style, quality and performance. I am also middle income and have not had an opportunity to splurge on my car addiction until now in my 50’s. I raised three sons and focused on them in my 30’s-40’s at the expense of career advancement as I was brought up dirt poor but family rich and that was all that matters. My recent wife however has opened my eyes to Mustangs…..So on with the stories:

1.   While building up and collecting parts for my 1968 Firebird with a 428, I became really interested in obtaining a pair of long branch manifolds that were extremely rare for the car. Like a factory header. This was in the 90’s where two things were happening, first on line car forums were becoming popular such as this one, and someone was trying to reproduce these manifolds. This was of interest to me as I knew id never find a real pair and at that time if I did id probably pay $1500+ for them. So after a series of postings about the quality of the reproductions back and forth some one posted a simple “I might have what you need email me”. So I did. After having him confirm the correct part numbers and the condition, I asked what he wanted for them. A few days later I got response that said “I bought them at a tag sale in 1972 and paid $75.00 for them. Let’s go with that plus shipping”. Although tempting I advised him of the value and said I could not pay $75.00. He said he was aware but wanted to “help me with my project”. I received them finally in the mail, they appeared to be NOS and have been using them since.
Now whenever I see a young person 20’s-30’s with a classic car for which I might have parts to help them I offer/give them to them for free. It’s the right thing to do and it will keep the hobby alive. Speaking of keeping it alive here is the next story….

2.   At one time I was really into 36-38 chevy coupes. Mostly original only safety improvements. And so the on-line site I belonged to was heavily run and the participation from more seniors. Definitely 70’s+ based on their stories. Over a period of a few weeks there became passionate dialog about how the “young” folks in the hobby just want to modify their cars and do not appreciate originality. I offered an unpopular point of view which was since the parts for the cars are very hard to find, a small group has horded them, and that same group thinks the parts will cover their pension gaps since they charge as much as gold for them, these same folks are the cause of the direction the young folks have gone in as they can’t afford to go in the original direction with the cars.  It has become a self-fulfilling prophecy in the that era of cars. Anyway, not what they wanted to hear and I decided to sell mine and move on to other car cultures. They should have nurtured the young members not drain them of their savings.

3.   A few years back in a very small gas station near my home I saw a 68 Shelby 350 4 speed convertible in for service like it was a Ford explorer. In line outside waiting for parts. I inquired about it in disbelief, not being a Mustang guy, I at least knew it was special but that was about it. One thing led to another and I ended up speaking to the man, original owner (85), about how he needed to secure the car and care for it as it was special and he clearly needed guidance. We spoke for along time and he appreciated my concern. He also asked if I wanted to buy it. Having an idea of the value of these cars I declined to offer as I could never afford it. He pressured me to make an offer when he realized I loved cars, stating he is sick of car collectors hounding him. I told him I would have to look at it more closely. So back to gas station I went, and he asked that I get back to him. After looking at and being pressured I made an offer that I could afford. There was dead silence on the phone and an “ohhhh” response. I reaffirmed that’s the best I could do. His wife got on the phone, and after some dialog they agreed to my price but wanted first to see where it would be stored. They came to my home and after seeing my heated barn they felt comfortable and we made a deal. In between when we spoke and when we did the transaction, I researched the car thanks to help from Peter D, and with the help of this site came to understand the value. I told them what the care was worth and encourage their children to be involved as I feared elder abuse although not intentional. He seemed to be suffering from some mental challenges. The wife did not and was sharp as a tack. Finally, their lawyer was brought into the discussion and they all agreed still to the price realizing the steep discount. In the end they wanted their family heirloom to be taken care of which I have been doing ever sense. I cared about the man and his car first and that came back to me. I really enjoy the Shelby culture.

In the end I feel strongly about giving in the hobby. Many of you have given your time and knowledge to me and for that I thank you, and so does the old couple who originally bought the Shelby. -John
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 02:44:20 PM by hurlbird »

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
Re: Giving back matters...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 12:58:02 PM »
great stories.
Thanks for posting and for your "giving back" approach.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 04:06:00 PM »
Awesome
Story.

I always chat with folks at car shows when showing my cars. I have sold my Shelby now but always asked people if they wanted to sit in it. Most often they did.

My 68 “Bullitt” below at the NEC in Birmingham England. This little guy was beyond excited to sit in the car

You have to encourage the youth as they are the future of the hobby

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 04:22:26 PM »
I always ask people people I chat with at car shows if they would like to sit in my car...the smiles on their faces is better than any trophy you ever imagine... :D

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 06:18:04 PM »
Awesome story.

I do a bit of pro bono work as well. Never tell them, just refuse payment.
It’s always worth it.

Many people’s contributions to the hobby are payment enough.

Lfino

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 07:08:06 PM »
I always ask people people I chat with at car shows if they would like to sit in my car...the smiles on their faces is better than any trophy you ever imagine... :D

You never asked me!😄

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 08:39:36 PM »
Jerry...would you like to sit in my car ::) ...eh?

BeaterGT500

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 10:47:11 PM »
Thank you for posting this.  For so long, I’ve thought there is a big gap between those of us who are entrenched in the car hobby, and those who are not.  Television in recent years has, in my opinion, painted a glossy and fully fictional picture of how old cars regain new life.  Modified, stock, rat rod, whatever.  Breathing life back into old iron takes a lot of research, knuckle busting work, time, skill, and most of all money.  I’ve been fortunate to have supportive parents who allowed me to drag home multiple projects over the years, and I worked multiple jobs to support my habit.  During which, I frequented swap meets at Carlisle, Hershey, Englishtown and others in search of the best stuff for my limited budget.  I fell prey to one bastard who sold me a 12-bolt rear for my ‘71 Chevelle which didn’t remotely fit, because as a trusting, teenage kid I made the mistake of asking “what does this rear fit?” To which said bastard replied “what are you building, kid?”.  I fell for it.  Lesson learned the hard way.
I hope there are more folks out there like you, and the super cool couple who sold you their Shelby, for my own son to encounter in his journey through the rusty, crusty world of classic car hunting.
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 09:15:18 AM »
+ 1

I thought I would share 3 stories about experiences I have had in the classic car society where paying it forward or at least being generous has come back to me in two of them. I think!
Just a quick background which will help a bit. I am a Pontiac guy. Born and raised and have always loved the style, quality and performance. I am also middle income and have not had an opportunity to splurge on my car addiction until now in my 50’s. I raised three sons and focused on them in my 30’s-40’s at the expense of career advancement as I was brought up dirt poor but family rich and that was all that matters. My recent wife however has opened my eyes to Mustangs…..So on with the stories:

1.   While building up and collecting parts for my 1968 Firebird with a 428, I became really interested in obtaining a pair of long branch manifolds that were extremely rare for the car. Like a factory header. This was in the 90’s where two things were happening, first on line car forums were becoming popular such as this one, and someone was trying to reproduce these manifolds. This was of interest to me as I knew id never find a real pair and at that time if I did id probably pay $1500+ for them. So after a series of postings about the quality of the reproductions back and forth some one posted a simple “I might have what you need email me”. So I did. After having him confirm the correct part numbers and the condition, I asked what he wanted for them. A few days later I got response that said “I bought them at a tag sale in 1972 and paid $75.00 for them. Let’s go with that plus shipping”. Although tempting I advised him of the value and said I could not pay $75.00. He said he was aware but wanted to “help me with my project”. I received them finally in the mail, they appeared to be NOS and have been using them since.
Now whenever I see a young person 20’s-30’s with a classic car for which I might have parts to help them I offer/give them to them for free. It’s the right thing to do and it will keep the hobby alive. Speaking of keeping it alive here is the next story….

2.   At one time I was really into 36-38 chevy coupes. Mostly original only safety improvements. And so the on-line site I belonged to was heavily run and the participation from more seniors. Definitely 70’s+ based on their stories. Over a period of a few weeks there became passionate dialog about how the “young” folks in the hobby just want to modify their cars and do not appreciate originality. I offered an unpopular point of view which was since the parts for the cars are very hard to find, a small group has horded them, and that same group thinks the parts will cover their pension gaps since they charge as much as gold for them, these same folks are the cause of the direction the young folks have gone in as they can’t afford to go in the original direction with the cars.  It has become a self-fulfilling prophecy in the that era of cars. Anyway, not what they wanted to hear and I decided to sell mine and move on to other car cultures. They should have nurtured the young members not drain them of their savings.

3.   A few years back in a very small gas station near my home I saw a 68 Shelby 350 4 speed convertible in for service like it was a Ford explorer. In line outside waiting for parts. I inquired about it in disbelief, not being a Mustang guy, I at least knew it was special but that was about it. One thing led to another and I ended up speaking to the man, original owner (85), about how he needed to secure the car and care for it as it was special and he clearly needed guidance. We spoke for along time and he appreciated my concern. He also asked if I wanted to buy it. Having an idea of the value of these cars I declined to offer as I could never afford it. He pressured me to make an offer when he realized I loved cars, stating he is sick of car collectors hounding him. I told him I would have to look at it more closely. So back to gas station I went, and he asked that I get back to him. After looking at and being pressured I made an offer that I could afford. There was dead silence on the phone and an “ohhhh” response. I reaffirmed that’s the best I could do. His wife got on the phone, and after some dialog they agreed to my price but wanted first to see where it would be stored. They came to my home and after seeing my heated barn they felt comfortable and we made a deal. In between when we spoke and when we did the transaction, I researched the car thanks to help from Peter D, and with the help of this site came to understand the value. I told them what the care was worth and encourage their children to be involved as I feared elder abuse although not intentional. He seemed to be suffering from some mental challenges. The wife did not and was sharp as a tack. Finally, their lawyer was brought into the discussion and they all agreed still to the price realizing the steep discount. In the end they wanted their family heirloom to be taken care of which I have been doing ever sense. I cared about the man and his car first and that came back to me. I really enjoy the Shelby culture.

In the end I feel strongly about giving in the hobby. Many of you have given your time and knowledge to me and for that I thank you, and so does the old couple who originally bought the Shelby. -John
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy