News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Another '65 GT350 Heading to Auction

Started by sfm5, January 11, 2022, 03:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydreamer

I was at his shop shortly after it arrived and took a lot of photo's. Ill see if i can find them and post. Randy, I showed this on the BOSS 302 website, are you referring to those pictures I took back then?

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=75610.msg501630#msg501630

Philip

gt350hr

No , I was referring to when Jerry brought it out to the NorCal MiniNats many years ago when he still owned it. They literally aired the tires , put in a battery and fresh gas to bring it out and race.  The rear tires were not safe and it had horrible wheel hop when the driver dumped the clutch on the first attempt. When I raced against it they asked if I would try and keep it "close" but I was well over two seconds faster and drove away from it. I don't think it has "raced" since. I on the other hand have raced mine every year for the last 47 , soon to be 48 years I have owned it.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

gbart14

Hey, Randy, all, does anyone have some clear close up photos of the ladder bars and how they were mounted to the chassis? My 5S243 was also drag raced and there are remnants of weldments on the chassis that I wonder about. Thanks
SAAC Northwest President, current - 5S243 plus 65 Mustang coupe track car plus 2016 GT350, past 6S286

gt350hr

I believe Tim Lea does. He is out here in CA for the moment. Just a quick correction. The bars "in the day" were called ''lift bars or lift chassis" as they were made out of rectangular tubing and literally "lifted" the rear of the car in the air when the clutch was dumped. These were heavy as you can imagine and when Logghe built the first ''flip top" funny car for Dyno Don (rip) they used lighter , smaller diameter round tubing for the bars and they resembled a ladder . Several aftermarket manufacturers made that design and called them that.
    An original lift bar setup would have a square tubing cross member  as the front attaching point for the bars. If you post a picture or two I can tell you if it is correct. I have seen some internet pictures of "independent" GT350s with the original looking lift bars. They were not needed on cars like mine with an automatic. When I raced 6S240 ( 4speed) I kept the stock over rides and severely clamped the front half of the spring as "I" didn't like how hard the lift bars rode on the street. That was the reason I quit racing 6S240 as I twisted the housing off of the spring perches which could have been disasterous. If I had run lift bars that would not have happened.
   Randy

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

Yes those were a copy of the ones on his H&M built A/FX Mustang. "Some" of the SAI conversions used the actual H&M kits and this one obviously was one that Les's shop made. It is interesting that the writer is the same Gordon Chittenden that ran the drag race Tiger out of Les's shop.

Randy

sfm5

65 GT350

gt350hr

Was a no sale last year @500 ( before fees) at Mecum . Seller paid 48 in fees and 1,800 for indoor storage . Mecum might have been a better deal after all. Not being invoiced "from SAI" as a drag unit held it back ( IMHO) despite the outstanding documentation and original owner being present.
   Randy