News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Blue Thunder 289 Cobra Intake

Started by Shawn, January 12, 2022, 06:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

Looking for a Blue Thunder reproduced 289 Cobra Intake manifold.  New or used free of any porting

SFcarbuff

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shawn on January 12, 2022, 06:26:31 PM
Looking for a Blue Thunder reproduced 289 Cobra Intake manifold.  New or used free of any porting
Why did you want a specific Blue Thunder brand repro intake.  I have a reason for asking.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shawn

I was told Blue Thunder makes the best reproduction and is US made.  Not sure if this is all true but seems the overall casting and machining is superior to the others being offered.  How many manufactures are there making this manifold?  My assumption was Blue Thunder and the import, is there more?  If there is something I'm missing or a better option I'd like to hear what that is.  I'm building a 347 for my 67 C code Fastback and want a period correct appearing engine compartment.  Any advise and guidance is appreciated. 

Thanks
Shawn

pbf777

"Blue Thunder makes the best reproduction and is US made."

This is correct, and is a very good product, probably better than the originals (though it is not an "original" of course), and is actually improved from the performance standpoint somewhat over the original    ;)

Scott.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: pbf777 on January 13, 2022, 11:12:16 AM
     "Blue Thunder makes the best reproduction and is US made."

This is correct, and is a very good product, probably better than the originals (though it is not an "original" of course), and is actually improved from the performance standpoint somewhat over the original    ;)

Scott.
Blue thunder may make the best reproduction Cobra intake for late 67 and 68 but it is not the correct design for 66 and most of 67.  ;) They copied it after the later 67 68 Cobra intake. The Blue thunder intake has the provisions for mounting the coil on the intake and smog bracket in the rear like the later 67/68 intake . The recently released Scott Drake intake is a extremely faithful reproduction of the earlier Cobra intake in appearance. I have not heard any stats on how it compares performance wise to the blue thunder but suspect it is not as good in that regard. If you want the right look with most likely the comparable performance to the original then the SD one is what you want . The SD intakes are typically substantially less money then the Blue Thunder. I figured you may be wanting the correct look is why I asked and wanted to make you aware of a better alternative appearance wise.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby