Author Topic: Leaf spring suggestion for R Model tribute  (Read 1521 times)

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Leaf spring suggestion for R Model tribute
« on: January 12, 2022, 06:58:52 PM »
My base car for the 65 R Model tribute is a V8 car but not a K code so Im guessing the factory leaf springs are not what I want to go with. I'm not looking for a concours correct car but want it to be visually similar to the original so where should I look for replacement leaf springs?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Leaf spring suggestion for R Model tribute
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 11:54:37 PM »
My base car for the 65 R Model tribute is a V8 car but not a K code so Im guessing the factory leaf springs are not what I want to go with. I'm not looking for a concours correct car but want it to be visually similar to the original so where should I look for replacement leaf springs?
I would order a set from Virginia Mustang   https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-73-Rear-Leaf-Spring-Assemblies-Pair-P5261.aspx   . If using a 65/66 factory made 9 inch rear end you will need to substitute the 65/66 9 inch rear longer centering pins. The 67-70 and some of the repro 65/66 housings did not need the longer pins.  https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/REAR-LEAF-SPRING-CENTERING-BOLTS-WITH-NUTS-SET-OF-2-P5175.aspx   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 09:09:37 AM »
I used 67 Mustang GT springs and 1" aluminum lowering blocks. This gives the slight rake that I wanted.

Don
gt350bp

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 01:40:38 PM »
I thought I would mention that if your old non K code springs are still good then just use those because you will most likely not notice a difference in stance. Of course the R models typically used the lowering blocks so you will want to add thoe for the most authentic look. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 01:59:26 PM »
Thanks Bob. I wondered if that was an option. I'm in discussion with Quick Performance Racing (http://www.ebaystores.com/quickperformanceracing) to get the axle package built. They combine the vintage 9" round center section with the tapered tubes from old 8" axles to replicate the original early 9" housing and can also build it out with the 2 1/2" drum brake package so it will be a plug and play axle when it arrives. I plan to ask if they can weld in the brakets for the overide tracktion bars while they're in the welding process. If you know of someone else that does similar work I'll certainly check them out too. I don't know if I'll need the longer pins or not but at $10 I'll probably order them just in case. It looks like Virginia Mustang also has a complete package to convert to an original looking disk brake front end, other than the dual master cylinder, which seems like the smart way to go anyway.

Just want to give a public shout out to you Bob. You have already provided a ton of helpful info to me personally and it's very much appreciated that someone with your vast expertise is willing to help out those of us who want to honor the Shelby legacy but can't afford to purchase an original.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction