News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

65 GT350 R for sale - 5r213

Started by sfm5, May 10, 2018, 10:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfm5

Where's my winning lottery ticket...

https://showroom.barrett-jackson.com/Home/Details/1965-SHELBY-GT350R_113842?utm_source=eblast&utm_medium=eblast_showroom&utm_campaign=Showroom&utm_term=05102018&utm_content=1965%20SHELBY%20GT350R

DESCRIPTION

From its inaugural season in 1957, the B Production class of the SCCA had been dominated by Chevrolet and drivers like Dick Thompson and Don Yenko - that is, until 1965, when Jerry Titus and Carroll Shelby teamed up. To beat the competition, Shelby modified the street version of his GT350 with a host of performance upgrades and lightweight parts to make a special "race" model. These race versions were distinguished by an "R" in the CSM number rather than an "S" that was seen on the standard street cars; thus the GT350R was born. The formula resulted in Chevrolet being dethroned by Jerry Titus piloting a GT305R to the championship. After a successful season capturing the B Production Championship, Shelby felt Ford wasn't doing enough to celebrate the achievement and took matters into his own hands. He loaded up a 289 Cobra, a 427 Cobra, a GT350 street car, a GT40, a Cobra Daytona and this GT350R with SFM #5R213. Dubbed the "Cobra Caravan," the cars went on a 12-city tour to promote the racing success of the Shelby cars. After the tour was over in 1966, 5R213 was sent, along with four other R models, to a group of wealthy businessmen in Peru, who wanted to form a spec racing series of their own. The car was campaigned in numerous Alpine-style races, including a Sixth Place finish in the inaugural running of the Caminos Del Inca in 1966. In 1984, three of the cars were bought back to the U.S. by Richard Cohen and Gary Nufer. They essentially had to be smuggled aboard a Peruvian military plane into Miami to avoid being seized or cut up by the DEA, but, once stateside, all three cars found new owners. In 1998, 5R213 was purchased by Jay Bentley, who commissioned it to be restored and prepped for vintage racing; however, he sold it before completion to Corey Lawson. Lawson then went on to have it restored to concours specifications, with the intent to show it in 2004. It changed hands again before the current owner acquired it and commissioned John Brown of Thoroughbred Restorations to restore it to the highest possible standards in 2017. Once complete, the car took Gold at the SAAC-42 Concours and the 2017 Shelby Mid America Meet, as well as MCA Gold at the Grand Nationals the same year, making it an elusive "Triple Crown" winner in the Shelby world. With only 20 or so known to exist of the original 36 R models made, these are some of the most prized cars among Shelby collectors. Additionally, being featured in the Cobra Caravan makes this one of just four R models with Shelby factory history. With the combination of a Triple Crown concours winner and extensive history and significance, 5R213 is the definition of a blue-chip collector car.
65 GT350

tesgt350

Why to people have to write a whole Book about the Life of Carroll Shelby and His Racing career before they tell you about the Car being Sold?  If someone is looking to buy the Car, they most likely already know all that.

Quote from: tesgt350 on May 10, 2018, 11:52:54 AM
Why to people have to write a whole Book about the Life of Carroll Shelby and His Racing career before they tell you about the Car being Sold?  If someone is looking to buy the Car, they most likely already know all that.

+1

Then top it off with one single 471 word, 2700 character run-on paragraph. 

sfm5

+1 That is actually a huge pet peeve of mine as well. Since we are "made" to include the car's description when posting links, maybe we should get a ruling from the powers that be to exclude the boilerplate material not relating to the actual car being sold? I think the world would be a better place  ;D
65 GT350

Bigfoot

+2
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Chad

gjz30075

"Inquire for Price" the ad says.
Greg Z
6S2249

Don Johnston

Must have been a no sale at the reserve price at auction.  Anyone know the last high bid for it and what the catalog estimated its value? 

SBCARGUY

5R213 is for sale at Barrett-Jackson's Showroom.

It has not been for sale at any Barrett-Jackson Auction before :)

Don Johnston

I did find this auction reference for this year, not B-J, however:
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/AZ18/Arizona/lots/r156-1965-shelby-gt350-r/564814

Valued in the RM catalog for $1M to $1.2M . 

sfm5s081

The owner is on the boards here. I believe it will move around the $800 figure

KR Convertible

I inquired about the car.  They didn't give me an exact price, but said the range for GT350Rs has been 800K-1.2M and this car should be at the high end of that range.  I was told the block is not original to the car, but the heads intake and carb are.  I asked if the VINs had been confirmed by Howard and how much of the sheet metal was original, but haven't heard back.

SBCARGUY

@ sfm5s081

No offense... But no... that won't buy it  :)

And of course... I AM the owner :)

Thanks

Josh

427heaven

Josh- Good Luck with the sale of one Bitchen ride! Way COOL... :)

Don Johnston

Hope somebody purchases it soon and makes plans to bring it to SAAC-43.   8)