News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

What if this....

Started by 67 GT350, January 17, 2022, 01:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

happen to you? You own a car for many years and....you get 12K for it. "Too bad, thank you for keeping it in good condition. Bye!"

https://youtu.be/6XRE3yw-PdM
RARE  Signature Delete

deathsled

Rights of the true owner take priority.  That's the general law in most if not all states. 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

deathsled

As a further addendum, I wonder if the true owner received any insurance payout for the theft.  If so, I believe that the insurance company became the owner of the car due to the payout.  Unless there were some negotiations between the true owner and his carrier that is not mentioned in this video or in the alternative, whether there indeed, was even a payout.  If there was no payout by his carrier (assuming he had insurance at the time of the theft), then the above commentary is moot.   It is also conceivable that the insurance carrier went bankrupt and thus no longer exists to submit a claim on title.

Years ago we had a case where an owner took a 63 split window coupe to a shop for repairs.  One of the techs noticed it had an Impala VIN.  Vehicle was seized, true VIN was found, and the original owner was located.  The original owner had taken a reduced insurance payout so that he would get the vehicle back if it was ever recovered.  The car went back to him.  It had been stolen for approx. 12-15 years.

deathsled

Quote from: 5566 on January 17, 2022, 03:27:03 PM
Years ago we had a case where an owner took a 63 split window coupe to a shop for repairs.  One of the techs noticed it had an Impala VIN.  Vehicle was seized, true VIN was found, and the original owner was located.  The original owner had taken a reduced insurance payout so that he would get the vehicle back if it was ever recovered.  The car went back to him.  It had been stolen for approx. 12-15 years.
Take note everyone should you find yourself in a similar circumstance.  Preserve your rights with the insurance carrier. 

mark p

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

98SVT - was 06GT

Young Marine $1600 car left at home while deployed = uninsured to my way of thinking. Even in the 90s I was still not paying the extra insurance to cover theft on my cars.
Now I get Haggerty on all my oddball stuff. They even cover under construction or being restored. It even covers the parts on the shelves and tools too.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

67 GT350

So by him not being responsible by not insuring the car when he left, he was the winner of a 65 Shelby for 12K.....and the police and SAAC helped him do just that.

That is why I did not buy a 65 Shelby that I was offered, where the guy came right out and said, "Rebody" I asked him, does he know where the real car is, was it destroyed? He said "no, I do not know what happen to it." I said who restored it? He said, "Some guy in Connecticut" I said, can I get in touch with him? He said, "I dont actually know who, the previous owner told me." I said, "OK, I will get back to you." I think it was a 2 minute call....

He sold that car for 175K This was early Summer of 2020.
RARE  Signature Delete

67 GT350

Well, I just wonder....How would you feel about it, if it happen to YOU???

That is the question.

I know what I would do...
RARE  Signature Delete

TOBKOB

I'd be in shock, or maybe have the big one like Fred Sanford...   >:(   :(   :o   :'(

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

69mach351w

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on January 17, 2022, 05:29:13 PM
Young Marine $1600 car left at home while deployed = uninsured to my way of thinking. Even in the 90s I was still not paying the extra insurance to cover theft on my cars.
Now I get Haggerty on all my oddball stuff. They even cover under construction or being restored. It even covers the parts on the shelves and tools too.
+1

69mach351w

Quote from: TOBKOB on January 18, 2022, 11:38:01 AM
I'd be in shock, or maybe have the big one like Fred Sanford...   >:(   :(   :o   :'(

TOB
LOL, I'm coming to join ya Elizabeth with a Shelby Bill of Sale in my hand ;D ;D

67 GT350

I would take the car for a "nice" ride, on the way home, one last time, I would visit the boat launch, it is very steep to where I bet if a car loaded up, it just might stall, of course you know those brakes.....I just might have to bail out of the car. (fiction)
RARE  Signature Delete