Author Topic: Sail Panel Install Question  (Read 1664 times)

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Sail Panel Install Question
« on: January 18, 2022, 09:00:15 AM »
I purchased a pair or new repro sail panels as I didn't have the originals and originality isn't a big deal for this car. I am used to working on earlier mustangs and not the 69/70 years and can't seem to envision how they mount. I tried Youtube but didn't see any videos. Basically on the back of them there is a square tab to insert a mounting clip like on door panels. Where else and how does it mount to the car?  I can't image one clip hold the entire sail panel?  If anyone could share some insight or pictures I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sail Panel Install Question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 09:25:24 AM »
It mounts under the rear glass weatherstrip hockey stick trim and the pinch on windlace. Good luck keeping the vinyl from sagging if the rear glass is already in. The originals had a paper cover that would not sag like the heavier vinyl.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 09:44:10 AM »
Thanks for the info. Looking at the sail panels now with your information it makes sense. Of course I installed the rear glass last night- ugh.  I'll have to improvise or just pop the glass back out- went in pretty easy so not the end of the world to redo it. I wished I has asked earlier :-[

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 12:42:27 PM »
Thanks for the info. Looking at the sail panels now with your information it makes sense. Of course I installed the rear glass last night- ugh.  I'll have to improvise or just pop the glass back out- went in pretty easy so not the end of the world to redo it. I wished I has asked earlier :-[
If you work it carefully you can still mount the sail panels and tuck(glue) the material under the WS. I did it on my latest Mach1. At one point the sail panels were being made with the excess material for tucking on the top part and the top wrapped and glued. They finally over the years started doing the panels correctly
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 08:19:43 PM »
I tucked the vinyl under the weatherstrip several times and finally gave up when they would start sagging after a period of time and put the original panels back on. They look much better and won't sag. The op said he didn't have the original panels so he is stuck with the repos. Good luck with them... :)

TOB

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 09:27:47 AM »
I tucked the vinyl under the weatherstrip several times and finally gave up when they would start sagging after a period of time and put the original panels back on. They look much better and won't sag. The op said he didn't have the original panels so he is stuck with the repos. Good luck with them... :)

TOB
so what is the difference between originals you have and repos that would make the repos sag?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 12:20:32 PM »
The originals have a thin "moon crater" paper covering  where the repos have a vinyl covering. They also wrapped around the rear window opening but they don't sag and pull off the panel if not wrapped. I also had the rear window in place before the sail panels and didn't want top pull the glass so I tried several times to tuck the vinyl under the weather strip. They held for a while but then they would start sagging and eventually they would pull away from the panel. I replaced with the originals and problem solved. My originals were still in pretty good shape so I put a couple of coats of SEM vinyl dye and they look like new.

TOB

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 04:37:45 PM »
Cut appox 1 1/2" off of the top excess material where it goes along the back glass. Then peel the vinyl back off the backer board for 2-3 inches all the way around. Re-glue it with spray trim adhesive or contact cement. With plastic trim panel tool or putty knife you can pust the excess under the gasket. Also , hot glue gun the square on the back that holds the clip before you install.  This has worked pretty well in the past.
Good luck

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 08:20:32 PM »
I hope you have better luck than I did. :)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 05:52:52 AM »
I hope you have better luck than I did. :)
I put mine in around 7 years ago. I'll take a better look at them and see how they look. Really have not paid attention since the last 6 years been working on my engine bay in my limited spare time finally finishing late last summer.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990