Author Topic: Color of adhesive for plenum  (Read 1176 times)

rscrip

• View Profile
Color of adhesive for plenum
« on: January 19, 2022, 09:19:39 AM »
What is the appropriate/correct color of the adhesive to attach plenum to 1968 Shelby GT500 KR, car is white?  I read Mr Tim Lea's article where he stated and showed a reddish brown.  My other unrestored 1968 KR is white also and the adhesive is black.  Went to several auction results at Mecum and Barrett to look at pictures of sold cars.  Most appeared to be black adhesive, some were painted the same color as the car.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Color of adhesive for plenum
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 09:48:06 AM »
The reddish orange adhesive was used at the factory

If you have something different please post some photos
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 09:51:36 AM by Coralsnake »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 10:10:29 AM »
What is the appropriate/correct color of the adhesive to attach plenum to 1968 Shelby GT500 KR, car is white?  I read Mr Tim Lea's article where he stated and showed a reddish brown.  My other unrestored 1968 KR is white also and the adhesive is black.  Went to several auction results at Mecum and Barrett to look at pictures of sold cars.  Most appeared to be black adhesive, some were painted the same color as the car.

Probably "restored" cars. The original color of the goo was ugly orange/brown, unpainted as the plenum was attached after the hood was painted.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

rscrip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 10:14:40 AM »
After your post I went back out and looked at the unrestored.  I found small places where the adhesive is reddish brown, it looks like someone used a paint brush and painted it black.  Probably wanting to cover up the ugly original color.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 12:45:14 PM »
After your post I went back out and looked at the unrestored.  I found small places where the adhesive is reddish brown, it looks like someone used a paint brush and painted it black.  Probably wanting to cover up the ugly original color.

Not only is it ugly but they let it ooze out like the attack of the blob, BUT THAT IS ORIGINAL. I suppose trimming it back was never part of the installation plan or charge?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 01:30:14 PM »
It can range from muddy orange to pinkish

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 01:49:55 PM »
Was that the only adhesive suitable for bonding fiberglass back in 1968? If black was available, probably they would have used?

Don
gt350bp

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 02:51:39 PM »
It was an AOSmith product used by them to bond together their proprietary fiberglass reinforced plastic
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 03:13:23 PM by Coralsnake »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 02:57:48 PM »
Usually when you use a high contrast color like that it has a purpose. You just want to verify that the adhesive is applied which fits in to them letting it ooze out.

Does it change color when cured?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!